The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 10, 2012, 05:24 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Would it be a waste of ammo to...

... pitch up at the 100m range with a 4" Redhawk with open sights?

Reason? Just for the hell of it, really...

I think I'd enjoy having a go, but I'd expect to miss a lot.

The question is would I miss them all. Would it be an exercise in futility?

Just a random thought...
Old December 10, 2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Bob Wright

It is never a waste to provide enjoyable recreation.

Bob Wright
Old December 10, 2012, 05:49 PM   #3
medalguy

^^^ +1 to that. Hey, if it gives you some enjoyment, go for it. Life is too short.
Old December 10, 2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Life is too short.
As long as my barrel isn't...
Old December 10, 2012, 06:15 PM   #5
RKG

You might be surprised, pleasantly.

Once a year, another fellow and I pop a few rounds at standard silhouette targets at 100 yards using Gov't Model .45s (part of our "skills retention drills").

Drop is about 13-14 inches, so you use the head for POA and get center mass as POI.

Depending on wind and other things, better than 50% hits on target.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:16 PM   #6
SDC

+ 1 on the "you may be surprised"; once you figure out the drops at a given range, it can be surprisingly easy to keep all of your shots on target.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Catfish

I rolled a deer that was running acrossed in frount of me with a 44 mag Super Balckhawk. I took another at 135 yrds going away from me at a 1/4 angle. We used to shoot at tin cans from 60 to 80 yrds. and put holes in them, not every time, but quite a bit. I have killed far more deer with my old Super Balckhawk than any other gun I have ever owned.
Old December 10, 2012, 07:26 PM   #8
FrankenMauser

Even if you do miss the target with 90% of your shots, it should still provide some valuable feedback that will let you assess the reason(s) for the misses.

Shooting at short range can hide deficiencies and bad technique that might otherwise be obvious with more distant targets.

A few months ago, I took my Super Blackhawk (.44 Mag) out. I had been doing a lot of short range work with it (7-20 yards), during the previous shooting trips. So, I decided to shoot to about 95 yards.
It was UGLY.
I was all over the backstop, and didn't put a single round into the 12" target with 20 rounds.
I blamed the revolver. I blamed the ammo. I blamed caffeine.
...until I reassessed what was going on. I realized I had gotten in the habit of improperly aligning the sights, because it was "good enough" at close range. But, at long range, that sloppy sight alignment made it look like I wasn't even bothering to aim at all.

Lack of consistent practice had taken its toll.

It was a very valuable lesson.
Old December 10, 2012, 08:30 PM   #9
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

I do it often and don't consider it a waste of time. I consider it good practice forcing me to use good technique. 22, 38, .357, 9MM, 41 mag, 44 spcl, 44 mag and 45 all reach out there just fine. Only gun that isn't a 4" is the 44 mag.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old December 10, 2012, 08:38 PM   #10
SVO

LOL - IHMSA shoots silhouette targets out to 200 meters with centerfire pistols, 100 meters with rimfire pistols,
Old December 10, 2012, 09:23 PM   #11
stu925

Used to work with a kid that I goaded into trying to hit falling plates at 100yds with his .40 S&W. He went through about 30 rounds or so before he figured out the hold over and then was hitting them about 25% of the time after that. To be honest I didn't think he'd hit it at all but he's actually pretty good pistol shot although I'd never tell him that his head would get too big

Stu.
Old December 10, 2012, 09:41 PM   #12
Misssissippi Dave

Sounds like fun to me. You can look up the estimated drop on line. That will get you close. It is a great way to practice trigger control and sight alignment. Don't be surprised when you put some of those rounds on target. I wish I was young enough to have eyesight good enough to do this with any pistol I have. I can still shoot center of mass at 25 yards well enough and if I pay attention 50 yards as well. I haven't had an oportunity to try 100 yard shots in several decades.
Old December 10, 2012, 10:15 PM   #13
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Each and every time that I go out shooting I always work out to a minimum of 100 yards, and most times 125 yards, with handguns.

Sometimes I use clays on the ground, sometimes I put tin cans on sticks and, sometimes I set up a 10 inch gong on a stand.

If you practice this regularly, and adhere to good form, you will be surprised just how often you connect with your target.

(However, I do freely admit to a few "extra holes" in my gong stand; I don't think that they were put there by the manufacturer!!!)

It is very valuable to have a backstop/dirt/snow/etc that allows you to easily see where your misses are going; really need the visual feedback to learn quickly. Kicking up dirt/dust works really well for me.

Now, go figure...
Old December 11, 2012, 01:02 AM   #14
Redhawk5.5+P+

100 yard is a long distance for me. I'd like to know if I was missing were did they go up down right left. That means I'd get a pretty big un-shot target and shoot one shot at a time. After each shot I would walk all the way,....just kidding, I'd get a set on binoculars and evaluate each shot to make the adjustment's point of aim.

I like to shoot my snubby .38 (SW 638) at 50 yard at my indoor range, shoot 5 pull in and observe and mark the holes repeat.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:18 AM   #15
TennJed

if you are safe, you are never wasting ammo
Old December 11, 2012, 01:19 AM   #16
codefour

My favorite revolver is a four inch Redhawk in .44 mag. At 200 yards, I can hit a man sized steel silhouette 4 or 5 out of six times. Yes, they are that accurate.

At 100 yards, I get five out of six onto a small (8 inch) dinner plate with factory sights. You are not wasting your time shooting at that distance. Granted, I am shooting off a bench with a ruck sack as a rest, but it is capable.

In my many years of shooting and teaching others to shoot, the problem is usually flinching. Most modern handguns, especially revolvers, are very accurate. So many shooters flinch. Think about it. When you are a baby what are you afraid of? Loud noises, blunt trauma, and getting dropped on your head.

Have a friend load your cylinder. Have him/her load three dummy rounds and three live rounds but you cannot now when they are coming. Or, place a dime on your front sight an pull the trigger when dry firing. The dime should no fall off.

Elmer Keith could allegedly shoot birds out of the sky with a .44 magnum so he may have mastered it..?
Old December 11, 2012, 02:32 AM   #17
youngunz4life

no, that isn't wasteful in my opinion.
Old December 11, 2012, 11:56 AM   #18
Crankgrinder

if you get to where you can hit @ 100 yards how is that wastefull?
Old December 11, 2012, 12:04 PM   #19
Dave T

When I owned 44 Magnums I shot them at 100 yards and even further fairly often. I've even been know to shoot 357 Mags, 44 Specials and 45 Colts at 100 yards. It would only be a waste of ammo if you don't seriously try to hit what your shooting at.

Dave
Old December 11, 2012, 12:27 PM   #20
chewie146

It's not that far, really. The round will hit and hit accurately at that distance, if you do your part. Spotting scopes help check your hits. Steel is another great target. I've done 100 yard shots with my MK II .22 on rams for 1/2 scale silhouette. (1/2 the size of a high power silhouette--not 1/2 scale rimfire.) I used to plink at 200 yard gongs with my Ruger Blackhawk with some hot SWC .357 loads. That was more miss than hit, but awfully fun. Check out the "high point in my handgun hunting career" post and look at the 175 yard shot that man made. They'll do it.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:13 PM   #21
L_Killkenny

Quote:
It's not that far, really. The round will hit and hit accurately at that distance, if you do your part.
Ya that. 100 yards with a handgun? No problem if you're up to it. Offhand I'm not but give me a rest and my 4" .357 will consistantly bust clays out there. Not even that hard.
Old December 11, 2012, 01:32 PM   #22
pgdion

Probably a waste of ammo, but that's not a reason to not do it. If you're having a good time ... then it's never a waste of ammo. If I had a 100m (yards) I'd have a go at it.
Old December 11, 2012, 02:04 PM   #23
mavracer

I shoot 100 yards quite often pie plate size groups off hand are the norm. I want to get a 10" gong to play with the snubbies.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 11, 2012, 03:18 PM   #24
Mello2u

Quote:
Pond, James Pond

Would it be a waste of ammo to...
... pitch up at the 100m range with a 4" Redhawk with open sights?

The question is would I miss them all. Would it be an exercise in futility?
I had the opportunity to shoot at a Pepper Popper at 100 yards once when I was at Gunsite. I missed my first shot but hit 6 of the next 7 with a 1911 .45 ACP in the prone position. I observed 5 other shooters in my class do about the same with their .45 ACP handguns too.

Generally, the guns are capable but it is the shooter that is the determining factor whether the shot is a hit or amiss. Should be the same with you.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old December 11, 2012, 05:06 PM   #25
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Generally, the guns are capable but it is the shooter that is the determining factor whether the shot is a hit or amiss. Should be the same with you.
Precisely what I'm worried about!!

If I make up a bunch of cartridges, I'll give it a go, next time I'm there. Out of curiosity if nothing else, and at least others have done it, so it is not beyond the realms of possibility...