The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 26, 2004, 01:36 PM   #1
Aries68

Stoeger Silverado Coach Gun Question

Anyone have any opinions on a Stoeger Silverado 12 Gauge Coach Gun and could it suffice as a home defense shotgun? If so, which shells would be best to use?
Old June 27, 2004, 04:56 PM   #2
Throckmorton

The Stoeger line is highly thought of by most cowboy shooters,so if ya don't feel hampered by only having two shots(at a time),it'll do fine.they are quite stiff when new,but several dozen cycles of opening/closing the action loosens 'em right up.
Any gun beats no gun,but I"d opt for a five round + capacity for HD myself..but tha's not what ya asked.sorry.
A load of sixes or fours should be adequate,but if ya just gottta have buckshot,she's gonna kick on both ends.
Old June 30, 2004, 04:37 PM   #3
Spinner

A lot of folks get quite hot about the idea of using a coachgun for HD .... the two shots and relatively slow reload being cited as the major problem.

Everyone's situation is different and for me I actually favour a coachgun as a HD tool .... well, actually I'm on the lookout for a 24" SxS rather than the 20" coachguns that are commonly available. My motivation for a SxS rather than a higher capacity pump ... well, its purely political.

Our Law enforcement community is strongly opposed to the concept of HD .... I think the idea of people shooting at other people scares the tripe outa the cops and the politicians and the woolly headed namby pamby leftist liberal politically-correct tree hugging hippy types as well. To put that in perspective, our cops don't carry firearms ..... one of the only police forces in the world to not carry firearms (they tote them around in their cars, but not on their belts).

I live in a semi-rural area (mostly 2 1/2 acre blocks of land on the outskirts of suburbia) ..... lifestyle block or "hobby farms". If'n I hear a bump in the night (or the crash of the door being kicked in) I'm supposed to call the cops and hang tight (or get outa Dodge) till they get there. I don't accept that as a realistic approach and as some may attest a gun in the hand is worth more than a cop on the phone.

If some mongrel invades my home at oh-dark-thirty I want to be able to neutralise the threat to me and mine (while the wife is on the phone to the cops) but politically and legally I'm in trouble if I start brandishing firearms around and threatening people ..... and I'm in deep doo doos if I pull the trigger.

I want to be able to say "Your Honour, I heard a noise and assumed it was that rascally roaming dog come to worry my stock (or that pesky possum playing in the tree outside my window) so I grabbed my shotgun to deal to the little beggar and found myself unexpectedly facing a burglar/home intruder. I didn't intend to present a firearm to an intruder, I didn't realise some goblin was invading my home, but when you're faced with a goblin and your hand is full of shotgun, what are ya gonna do?"

That argument (shaky though it is) is more likely to fly if I'm holding a relatively innocent looking SxS .... just like Grandpappy's duck gun .... rather than an "evil black high capacity pump action assault shotgun".

So .... if, like me, you favour a SxS for HD duty then any of the coachguns commonly available will do the job .... while a 6 shot pump might do the job better, the first rule of a gun fight is bring a gun .... and a coachgun is better than none at all.

You really need to work out what loads will work best for your situation ... that means time spent at the patterning board. Some people prefer slugs, others prefer buckshot, some use birdshot. It depends on the expected shooting distances. An experienced person I respect suggests taking the longest possible shooting distance inside your home + 1 yard and pattern different loads at that distance.

As a rule of thumb the shot string will spread around 1" for every yard of travel. So at a range of 5 yards your shot spread will be around 5". At that sort of range even birdshot will pack a fair punch, but birdshot (particularly once its spread) will not penetrate heavy clothing like fewer heavier pellets will.

I would suggest buying a case or two of light birdshot loads and have some fun with your coachgun ... go plinking - reduce some stationary clays to powder, blast a few gallon milk jugs full of water, plaster some rats around your local dump, whatever. If you can try some of the clay games. The more you use the gun the more familiar it will become. Pattern some HD loads ... low recoil buck or heavy bird shot. Become familiar with what the gun will do.

A coachgun can be an effective HD tool, but its not a magic solution ... simply buying one and sticking in your closet is no guarantee you're going to be safe.

The Stoeger silverado is a robust and effective double barrelled shotgun .... there's no reason it can't protect you and yours (and look pretty spiffy at the same time). I would suggest that if it fits your situation, then go ahead and buy it .... but take the time to get familar with it now, before you find yourself in a stressful situation with an unfamiliar weapon.

BTW you may wish to consider putting a butt cuff on the gun so you've got some reloads handy .... all you gotta do is grab the gun and go.

Kia kaha
Old July 12, 2004, 10:31 PM   #4
Scoob_

I have one and love it. I put a shell holder on the stock and load it with remington standard 9 pellet 00 buck. It's my current HD, reloads are very fast with practice.
Old July 16, 2004, 06:53 PM   #5
dfaugh

Had one

(a SxS double, not a coach gun)...was taught to hold 2 additional shells in my left hand, between the fingers, as I held the forearm). With practice I could get off 4 shots with it almost as fast as I could with a pump gun. just food for thought.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old July 18, 2004, 07:55 AM   #6
seeker_two

Quote:
Anyone have any opinions on a Stoeger Silverado 12 Gauge Coach Gun and could it suffice as a home defense shotgun? If so, which shells would be best to use?
I have a Coach Gun as my HD shottie. Great for maneuvering in tight quarters like my home, and two shots are usually enough to get a goblin's attention...

Best thing about coach guns are the simplicity of use. My wife (who in NO way is a shooter) can load, unload, and shoot it with a minimum of training. There's no way I could get her to practice w/ a pump or semi enough that we'd both be confident in her using it.

The way I usually keep it read is to have two #4's tucked under the butt cuff for immediate loading, and reloads in the five cuff loops holding two #4's, two 00 Buck, and one slug. I also have a bandolier w/ more shells on it if needed.

Word of advise, my Coach Gun is only accurate w/ slugs in the IC (rt. side) barrel--so that's the only one I practice w/ for slug shooting. YYMV, though.....

Good luck & good practice...
Old August 8, 2004, 11:44 AM   #7
Hotbarrel

I had a Stoeger Uplander English Stock in 20 gauge with 24" barrels. My HD needs were covered, so it was my small bird gun for a while. At 7 pounds (5.5 of it in the barrel) it felt and swung more like a 12. It was a good gun, but didn't suit my needs, so I sold it to someone who uses it for HD and SASS. IMO, you might consider the Uplander over the Silverado, since they weigh and cost about the same.
Old August 19, 2004, 09:09 PM   #8
SkunkApe

I've got a Baikal 12-gauge side-by-side for my home defense shotgun. It has the same manual of arms as my 20-gauge side-by-side grouse/woodcock gun. That's why I chose it over a pump, I'm very comfortable and familiar with it.

Keep in mind also that a side-by-side is gonna be about four inches shorter in overall length compared to a pump or auto with the same barrel length and length of pull. My Baikal with 20" barrels is just 37" overall.
Old August 19, 2004, 11:24 PM   #9
michael t

Been useing my Rossi coach gun for bumps in night since 1972 Seems to work so far.
Old August 20, 2004, 10:11 AM   #10
MK11

How do you guys store a hammerless Coach Gun for home defense? Loaded with the action closed? Any issues with spring fatigue?
Old September 6, 2004, 07:25 AM   #11
seeker_two

I keep mine unloaded but slightly broken open. That way, all I have to do is push the barrels open, load the two #4 turkey shells from the butt cuff, and firmly close to be ready for action.

I don't like keeping it loaded w/ the action closed. Like a cocked-&-locked 1911, I don't want to worry about spring & parts fatigue.

But that's just me. YMMV...
Old September 6, 2004, 12:34 PM   #12
rugerdude

how much do these coachguns cost?
Old October 18, 2004, 12:05 AM   #13
hutnhut

Spinner Thank you for your post!

WOW!
I hope all of America read this post! Thank GOD we live where we do. With Brady billers nipping at our heels, This could be us if we do not vote for a canidate that will protect our 2nd amendment! "The right to bear arms!" The only canidate I know of is Bush. I wish there was a differant one. But he is the only one who will do that for us! Please take head to this post! I don't ever want to try to come up with a justifacation to HD as you desribed in your post! Just remember"If they outlaw guns, only the outlaws will have guns!" And that is a place I do not want to live!
Old October 21, 2004, 12:52 AM   #14
Danindetroit

Dude it depends on your area. Stoeger here is their website where you can spec them out, and you can ehter your info and will find stores in your area to start shopping. In my area they are less expensive than the russian sxs. It seems that on most guns the hammers are for show. I think they have a large selection of guns and give prices, I think some list at $370?, but you can usually knock off 20% at a large chain store like Gander mountain if you have those in your area. I think the coach gun supreme even has screw in chokes. I think a barrel of #4's in the groin might get to the femoral artery on a lot of people. If I got one I was going to practice holding 2 like dfaugh said and have a pistol for close up. In my area the police are pulling more and more goblins who are wearing bullet proof vests, thats why I aim first shots low. I live in an urban area so buck might travel to the neighbors so I like mag loads, If a get a 24" barrel I will try it on trap, just for the fun . I do know a guy who used birdshot and a single shot .410 on a burglar and hit him in the groin and dropped him in his tracks unconcious, bleeding alot.
Old October 21, 2004, 05:09 AM   #15
Hal

I have a Stoeger Coach Gun (not the Silverado version) sitting beside me right now. It's been beside me in the 'puter room since I got back from vacation. - - too lazy to go down and open the safe and pull out the CZ75b and the Kimber that normally pull HD duty.

I feel it's adequet for HD but far from ideal. @ $250 (which is what I paid for mine), there's far better choices (Remington 870 being one)

I store mine unloaded and action closed, with a handfull of loose shells up high where the grandson (4 and a half YO) can't reach. His little hands don't have the strength to open the fully closed action.
Old October 21, 2004, 05:47 PM   #16
Shooter 973

Stoeger coach guns!

Impact Arms has the standard coach guns (blue and wood) for $269.00 on their web site. Their prices on the other models are not as good!!!
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old October 21, 2004, 08:25 PM   #17
Danindetroit

Mr 973 I am not sure if that line comes from somewhere else but I am pretty sure that is what John Wayne said to Ron Howard in his last movie the shootist. Good movie and way off topic.
Old October 22, 2004, 02:51 PM   #18
bubbygator

I have the Silverado as a HD gun (if I can't reach my BHP). The only thing wrong with it is what's wrong with ALL new coach guns - they're too darned tight for good multiple shots. If you check an old Stevens 311/411, you'll be able to "flick" open the action - with the new guns you almost have to bend the gun over your knee to get it open. But they can be slicked up with a little (well, a lot) of effort.

I carry buckshot in the barrels, & a 5-hole stock cuff with 10 shells. How's that you ask? Try out Aquila mini-shells, they're half the size of regular shells; I stick one down into the top & one up into the bottom of each cuff-hole. They're fine indoors - if I want to go duck hunting, I'll get another gun.

Seeker said
Quote:
Word of advise, my Coach Gun is only accurate w/ slugs in the IC (rt. side) barrel.
That's exactly what I found also. Pattern your gun so you know where it shoots.... it doesn't just spray out & automatically hit the bad guy.
Old October 25, 2009, 10:21 PM   #19
Latigoslim

Stoeger Coach Gun/Home Defense

If one practices with the piece, it is a great for HD.
Wolf makes a fine spring kit that will ease the pain of opening and closing the action. Ask any Cowboy Action Shooting (tm) group in your area for help. http://www.sassnet.com
When practicing, get used to using the REAR TRIGGER FIRST! This way, in the heat of the night, your finger won't inadvertently slip setting both barrels off at once (that can be a nasty surprise especially with buckshot) and you'll lose your second shot.
Lots of people aren't in favor of a SXS for HD because of capacity. When practicing, go for accurate shot placement and have a reload handy (practice reloads on the range - not at home! - Videos are on youtube.com - Cowboy Action folks are really quick at this) and you'll be just fine.
For most HD applications, I recommend at 20GA , but if 12 is all you got, you are good to go.
I don't recommend buck or slugs for HD, as they penetrate walls too easily. Even 7 1/7 birdshot will go to the next room, by the way, so be sure of your target and what is beyond it AND the walls.
Watch your Six!
Old October 26, 2009, 03:42 PM   #20
PI Rob

Stoeger makes a good coach gun and they handle nicely. I don't own one yet, but a buddy of mine has one and I like it. I think coach guns or any shotgun make fine HD weapons. I have a 1953 Marlin O/U 12ga that serves HD duty when I'm not busting clays with it or ruining some quails day. I also have an Stevens 311 12ga that's been cut down into a coach gun that serves HD duty and motel room duty as well. I like the coach gun for travelling because it breaks down into 3 pcs that fit nicely in my suitcase when I'm on the road. It's also taken it's fair share of clays which is really fun. I'm familiar with them, know what they can do, they're inexpensive to practice with, and I use them all the time. I've had several ubertactical and standard riot guns that just sat in the closet doing nothing unless I wanted to spend several hundred dollars on a shotgun course to train with them, which I didn't. It's easier, economical, and more convenient for me to familiarize myself with my guns while shooting at things that move and it's a lot more fun. Use whatever you want for HD just make sure you know your gun very well and have a plan for the HD scenario. I use reduced recoil 00 buck in mine. It works for me, but everyone has different needs/opinions.
Old November 29, 2009, 04:06 PM   #21
Jeff23

I've had a 20-ga Remington SPR coach gun for my HD piece for the last few years. It's quite a bit shorter than my 870, even when the 870 has the HD barrel on. I like several things about the coach gun--easy to maneuver (I'm waiting for a pistol permit so have to use a long gun for the time being), cheap to practice with, simple to use. My wife, who's not really an avid shooter, can deploy it without undue difficulty if necessary.

The only thing I don't like about it is the trigger pull, which is heavy, creepy, and simply tinny and clunky feeling throughout, but the gun has gone bang every time I pulled it, and I'm not doing pinpoint marksmanship here.

I picked up a good tip from Seeker two about leaving the shotgun open and slightly broken to facilitate loading it. Thanks!
Old November 29, 2009, 04:41 PM   #22
Glenn Dee

<---- Uses a SxS 12 Ga savage/stevens shot gun with 18" tubes as a H/D, bump in the night, who's that and whats he doing in my front yard gun.
Old November 30, 2009, 10:15 PM   #23
ROCK6

I personally prefer a pump, but my wife uses a Baikal 12ga coach. She likes going to the range, but not enough to effectively use a pump; however, she's very comfortable with the side-by-side. I think they are perfect for some situations...mine is one of them (three deployments; two to Iraq and just returned from Afghanistan); both my wife and I are comfortable with use of the coach gun. I put a butt cuff on it and my wife is practicing on ejecting the two empties and quickly reloading...it'll take a few more range sessions, but she's getting better. It's just nice knowing she has two 12 gauge (Currently No 4 Buck) ready to go and right beside the bed.

I've had her keep it broke open but the two rounds sitting in the chambers. She's not quite comfortable enough with them in and the safety on (I'm working on that one). She's practiced grabbing it and a quick locking of the action and ready to go.

She has her pistol by the bed, but she feels much more confident and secure with the 12ga coach gun.

ROCK6
Old December 1, 2009, 12:49 PM   #24
Jeff23

Rock6, Thank you for your service.
Old December 1, 2009, 01:12 PM   #25
dreamweaver

I have a silverado sitting in the safe. was planning to do some 3 gun shoots with it but never got around to it. I've never shot it, but it appears very well made, but it's definately stiff out of the box. I shot one that was "broken in" before i bought it, very nice, fast reloads.