The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 24, 2012, 06:53 PM   #1
miykael

Barnes LRX Load Data .308

Hi all,

Anyone been loading the Barnes LRX for .308? I can't find any load data for the 175g LRX that I will be using. I've emailed the company with no response yet and the manual I read didn't have it in there.

I've read on some other boards that Barnes told them to use the TTSX data. I'm going to wait until Barnes gets back to me but I would appreciate anyone's experiences with this. Thanks in advance!
Old August 27, 2012, 12:09 PM   #2
miykael

Got response from Barnes on the LRX

They told me,

"The LRX data is currently being shot as we speak so we don’t have that data available just yet. For now you will want to refer to the TSX bullet data with the next largest weight (ex. 175gn LRX use the 180gr TSX)."

I've loaded .308, 175g LRX, Lapua cases, CCI primers and IMR XBR 8208 (load testing). If I get out this week, will see how it performs
Old September 25, 2012, 04:23 PM   #3
miykael

My lrx 175 tests

Finally got some tests completed with the Barnes LRX 175gn for 308 Win.

Savage 10 Precision Carbine (20" tapered semi-heavy barrel)
Lake City Brass
CCI BR2 Primers
IMR 8208 XBR
Barnes LRX 175gn bullets

I was using Lapua brass but kept encountering feeding issues. Tracked it down to concentricity but with my very expensive brass! For the sake of it I thought I try the Lake City brass (which is thicker but still well made). Worked great and at a quarter the cost (once fired)!

Not only that the LC brass had more consistent speeds compared to the few Lapua that I was able to chamber.

FPS LC brass - 2652/2659 (42.5 gn XBR)
FPS Lapua brass - 2636/2673

Got about 0.4-0.7" groups off a bipod, with 42.5gn XBR. With the CFE 223 for comparison (at 47.0gn), there was a huge difference, over 1MOA.

Last edited by miykael; September 26, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old December 9, 2012, 06:35 PM   #4
jnfphd

COAL - Compressed Charge?

Good thread. I'm planning on working up a load for my Rem700 .308 Winchester with the same components (I've had good results with IMR XBR 8208 velocity / accuracy wise). According to Barnes, the minimum velocity for expansion is 1600 fps, making the range about 600 yards for a .308 175 LRX bullet.

I see you've posted the the OAL from base to ogive. Did you record the actual COAL from base to bullet tip? Also, are you running a compressed charge?
Old September 28, 2014, 10:21 PM   #5
miykael

Hey, haven't been on here for far too long. That's what young ones and biz start-up does

No, not a compressed charge but at the max end of the XBR loading. Sorry, the COAL was far too long for magazines. What I did was single load and have manufacturer recommended length rounds as back-up in the mag. The Barnes LRX/TTSX are my hands down favourite bullets.

Tags
barnes lrx , lrx