The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2010, 02:48 PM   #1
spacecoast

Does anyone prefer to reload nickeled brass?

Just curious if there any good reasons to seek nickeled brass. It must be more expensive to produce, and it seems to sell for a premium from the brass dealers, yet I see where most here prefer to use unplated brass due to it being somewhat more durable.
Old March 14, 2010, 02:59 PM   #2
glicerin

ni brass

I have (free) about 2000 nickel .38 spcl which is very durable with light target loads. Win nickel same cal. had too thick neck wall to fit in my old tight s&w cylinder. I have heard that nickel plated rifle brass would shave jacketed bullets.
Old March 14, 2010, 05:00 PM   #3
Shoney

I have found nickle brass does not last as long as regular brass. There is an advantage to using it in some cases.

It was originally developed for use in leather cartridge belts, because the regular brass gets tarnished very quickly because of the tanic acids in the leather. I also load all my handgun PD ammo in nickle brass for two reasons: it is easily distinguished and can be kept without fear of tarnishing.

I use nickle brass for all my rifle hunting loads. If you have hunted in the Northwest under rainforest conditiions, the moisture dripping from trees contains lignins and tannins which will tarnish brass quickly and make it "sticky" to work in actions. Nickled brass is again easier to distinguish from non-hunting loads.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 14, 2010, 05:24 PM   #4
l98ster

I use an equal amount of nickel to brass for 38 special target loads and can definitively tell you that the nickel does not hold up as well as the brass. However, they are not bad.

One thing you want to make sure of is when you set the "bell", meaning flaring the case mouth to accept the bullet easier, go very light on that flare. Nickel cases will split if your bell is to wide.

With brass cases, the bell doesnt seem to be an issue.

Good Luck!!
-George
Old March 14, 2010, 09:36 PM   #5
johnjohn

I use some nickel plated brass (freebies). I have never bought any nor will I. In my experience it never lasts as well as regular brass.
Old March 14, 2010, 11:18 PM   #6
mrawesome22

It doesn't tarnish and it looks great.
Old March 15, 2010, 12:08 AM   #7
jeffreybehr

I use nickled brass for PD ammo to distinguish it from target loads. Of course, the Speer GoldDot already does.

Old March 15, 2010, 06:12 AM   #8
Uncle Buck

I only use the nickle brass for home/self-defense rounds. I have never had a problem reloading it, it just helps me keep the rounds seperate.

I do have problems with it lasting as long as the unplated stuff. So I just do not shoot it as much.
Old March 15, 2010, 07:21 AM   #9
Sevens

Vote #4,462 that nickel plated brass doesn't last as long as regular brass. So if I were buying new brass and wanted the longest life I could get, I'd steer away from nickel plated.

But... it's just more enjoyable to use. It cleans up easier and it stays cleaner when you shoot it. It's also slick, and that doesn't hurt you at all when loading -- whether it's you thumbing rounds in to a cylinder or your autochucker feeding it in your pistol. Also seems to smooth out ejecting when dumping a load from a cylinder.

It looks better, too, IMO. In .38 Special, where the brass lasts forEVER anyway, I prefer using nickel plated brass.
Old March 15, 2010, 07:59 AM   #10
reloader28

When I first started reloading ,I heard you wanted nickel cause of the strentgh.
I started buying some empty rifle nickle cases and started reloading them. They were definatly harder than brass and I stuck 2 in the dies.

I didnt buy anymore nickle plated. I even tried annealing them to soften them up. I think it worked but havent loaded them enough to know. I've heard the competition guys wont use them cause it gets imbedded in your barrel with each shot.
Old March 15, 2010, 08:01 AM   #11
DiscoRacing

I have alot of nickel for pistol loads... use them alot for my +p loads....easier to keep them separate then
Old March 15, 2010, 08:20 AM   #12
sc928porsche

Since I reload, I like to use nickel brass for separating bullet weights ie...
150gr 300WM brass, 180gr 300WM nickel. Same Idea for 30-30, 25-06, 30-06. 6.5-06, 8mm-06 and a few others.
Old March 15, 2010, 09:29 AM   #13
salvadore

Like glicerin, I have a bunch of once fired free nickel +P .38 brass and found that as cast bullets were too big to chamber in a couple of old Colt DAs, but sized to .358 worked fine. As far as case life, the non plated ones may last longer, but, you know, they were free.
Old March 15, 2010, 11:40 AM   #14
BigJimP

I don't prefer it / but having some in the mix of cases I run thru a press doesn't bother me either ...
Old March 15, 2010, 12:14 PM   #15
zippy13

HI-YO! With the plated brass, you can tell folks it's silver and pass yourself off as the Lone Ranger.

Actually, I got a large (by my standards) quantity of once-fired plated Fed .38s some time ago and they've served me since.
Old March 15, 2010, 12:36 PM   #16
mrawesome22

Off subject but, I was looking through the latest Natchez catalog and found a ad for a factory shell that they claim has a nickel plated bullet. I'll have to find it again. Wouldn't that be extremely hard on the barrel?
Old March 15, 2010, 12:43 PM   #17
mrawesome22

Federal Trophy Bonded Tip. Bear Claws aren't even on Speer's site?