The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 30, 2005, 03:05 AM   #1
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
10/22 Barrel-based pistol...?

1... IF I were to take a 10/22 barrel, cut it to about 6" (that's arbitrary, mind you -- any short length is open for consideration), then build up a reciever/all other parts from scratch, would the ATF visit me at 3AM or would it be legal? FYI, the reciever/other parts would be my own design, with nothing except the barrel in common with a 10/22 (and blowback operation, if that matters).

2... IF I also owned a 10/22 rifle, but never let the pistol barrel/components ever touch the full 10/22, would I still be ok or would the ATF bust me for having a pistol-length barrel that could fit the 10/22?

3... IF I modified the pistol-length barrel in some way so that it couldn't attatch to the 10/22 reviever ever again, would that void any concerns from question #2?

Before you worry about me getting in trouble, I'm planning to make a full CAD draft and send it to the BATF for a legality check before building any of this. Better safe than sorry. (This post is just a rough poll to see what ya'll think -- if it's worth making plans for or not.)

Thanks for your opinions,
Wolfe.

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.
Old August 30, 2005, 05:57 AM   #2
Trapp

When building something New like that you must (I say this from what I Think I know) get approval, Send the ATF a sample piece (your first one). The Reciever would have to be registered as a pistol. Basically your reciever cannot have ever even thought about being a rifle. Other than that you can rob any and all other pieces off a rifle.
Old August 30, 2005, 04:57 PM   #3
kozak6

Instead of machining your own reciever, you could also just buy a virgin aftermarket 10/22 reciever (any brand new reciever not made by Ruger and never assembled as a rifle), and have them transfer it as a pistol receiver.

I've been putting some thought into this, as it seems the best way to get a hi-cap .22 pistol together that will go bang every time.

For some food for thought, here's a few pictures for you:

Old August 30, 2005, 06:14 PM   #4
Crosshair

My folding stock 10/22 still looks cooler.
Old August 30, 2005, 08:50 PM   #5
Cowled_Wolfe

Hmm... Using a plain reciever like that is a nice idea, but I'd rather design everything my own and build from scratch. I'm more after the satisfaction that comes from designing and building a new gun than anything else. Stupid as it might sound, getting a working firearm in the end of the process is just a bonus.

Thanks for all the neat pics though.

Wolfe.

(\__/)
Old August 30, 2005, 09:50 PM   #6
waltherp22sd

look into your local laws....i've built more than my share of AK's and a couple of other rifle's from scatch. i know it is lawful to built those as long as you don't sell or transfer the weapon.
Old August 31, 2005, 07:24 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

10-22 pistol

Dear Shooter:
I'm sorry but you sound like my grandson; forget it!
Harry B.
Old September 1, 2005, 08:30 PM   #8
Cowled_Wolfe

Quote:
I'm sorry but you sound like my grandson; forget it!
Yep, definately gonna see this project through now.

Btw, thanks for the info everyone.

Wolfe.

(\__/)
Old September 14, 2005, 05:30 PM   #9
Slimjim

What state are you in? In MD you could not build it.
Old September 14, 2005, 06:00 PM   #10
Cowled_Wolfe

The worth-saving side of the People's Republic of Washington...

(\__/)
Old September 14, 2005, 09:34 PM   #11
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

CW - -
taking your questions by number - -
1... IF I were to take a 10/22 barrel, cut it to about 6" . . . then build up a reciever/all other parts from scratch, . . . would it be legal? FYI, the reciever/other parts would be my own design, with nothing except the barrel in common with a 10/22 (and blowback operation, if that matters).
I really believe it would be okay, subject to the other points below.

2... IF I also owned a 10/22 rifle, but never let the pistol barrel/components ever touch the full 10/22, would I still be ok or would the ATF bust me for having a pistol-length barrel that could fit the 10/22?
I'd really be afraid this could be considered a technical violation. And, no, I don't know how the guys handle it who own more than one AR15s, and one short barrel top end, and only one registered as an SBR.

3... IF I modified the pistol-length barrel in some way so that it couldn't attatch to the 10/22 reviever ever again, would that void any concerns from question #2?
I would think that would allay MY fears.

. . . I'm planning to make a full CAD draft and send it to the BATF for a legality check before building any of this. Better safe than sorry.
Now, THAT makes a lot of sense. As far as it being worth while, that's entirely up to you and no one else. The vast majority of radically altered and customized firearms end up being worth a bit LESS than the commercially produced equivalent would be. If it is satisfying to YOU, then that's what counts.

Best of luck.

Oh, and, kozak6 - -
Yes, I know of at least three "handguns," the design of which started out as rifles - - The Savage Stryker, the Charter (??) AR7 handgun (sort of a broomhandle lookalike,) and the Remington XP100. These are/were all produced by major manufacturers who make a point of staying square with federal law. Those handguns were all designated as pistols from the git-go. If I were going to simply take a newly-produced 10/22 action and work it up into a handgun, I'd sure want a letter from them (and, preferably, BATFE) saying this particular serial numbered piece had been named as a pistol. I really don't believe it's enough to simply be able to say, "well, it was never built up as a rifle previously."

As always, I am not an attorney, never will be, and haven't even portrayed one on TV.

Best,
Johnny