The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 9, 2013, 04:14 PM   #1
KnotRight

Gun Safe Dehumidifiers

What are you using for dehumidifiers in your gun safe. I know that the electric ones are the best but I am not sure if I have a hole through the safe to run the wire. Also, I do not have an electrical plug in the closet.

While at Bass Pro they had a dehumidifier that is rechargable and it says the charge should last maybe 7 weeks. While at a gun store today they said that you could but silicon in maybe 5 gallon bucks at Home Depot.

With the summer time coming and humidity in the 90s, it is time to do something.

Also, if you get you handguns in rugs, what do you treat the inside of the rugs with?
Old April 9, 2013, 04:35 PM   #2
rebs

I use both kinds, I have a Golden Rod and a canister type that needs rejuvenating about every 6 months. They both work well.
Old April 9, 2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Live45

I have a small handgun safe under my bed. It is by no means airtight and it is not a firesafe. We live in Central Florida and we pretty much have the air conditioning on all year. What if anything should I use?
Old April 9, 2013, 06:29 PM   #4
stephen426

I am in Miami and I have the Golden Rod combined with rechargable silica gel based dessicants. The Golden Rod supposedly works by forcing the moisture out by heating the air inside the safe. Despite that, the rechargable dehumidifiers seem to suck up enough moisture to completely change the color within a few days. They claim that it protects for 30 - 60 days without needing to be recharged, but the color indicator turns way before that. I use two of them in my safe and I charge them one at a time.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=180353

I have used the hanging Damp Rid Hanging Moisture Absorbers before, but I am worried that one of them will leak. It worked for a while before becoming totall saturated.

What worries me the most is why the Golden Rod doesn't do a better job. I sure that just opening the safe lets in all of the moisture and all of that moisture needs to be sucked up/pushed out.
Old April 10, 2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

I use a disposable dessicant from the local Dollar Store. They last 3 to 6 months depending on conditions. I buy several at a time. They don't activate until you unwrap them. And, they cost only $1.00 each.
Old April 10, 2013, 08:17 PM   #6
BigD_in_FL

Here in central and humid Florida, I use a golden rod (had to drill a hole), and THREE of the large dessicant boxes inside. Once a month, they either get plugged or or placed in the oven as appropriate
Old April 10, 2013, 08:41 PM   #7
Ed4032

"Rifleman1776 said
I use a disposable dessicant from the local Dollar Store. They last 3 to 6 months depending on conditions. I buy several at a time. They don't activate until you unwrap them. And, they cost only $1.00 each."

This is what I do also. Works well.
Old April 10, 2013, 10:11 PM   #8
Buzzard Bait

light bulb

I'm using a 25 watt light bulb
Old April 11, 2013, 01:37 PM   #9
psyfly

I've been using a 7-watt night light (safe has an electrical pass-through, so no opening) for the last couple of years and have had no noticeable condensation and have had no rust. Safe is in the unheated garage.

In cool/cold weather, the safe always feels warm inside when I open it.

Will
Old April 11, 2013, 02:28 PM   #10
WallaceB

Have been using one made by remington that you take out and plug in to dry out. It works well, but have to check every two weeks
Old April 11, 2013, 02:47 PM   #11
Hardcase

I also use one of those desiccant boxes that you plug in to reactivate, but it's very dry here in southwest Idaho, so humidity in the safe really isn't a problem.