The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2013, 12:44 PM   #1
uwtriguy

Taurus Mag in a Beretta 92?

I've studied this forum and haven't found the right examples.

I'm hoping someone has experience using a Taurus Magazine in a Beretta 92 series, mainly the M9A1 but any 92fs should work for this purpose. Everything I read is in regards to a Beretta mag being able to be modified to fit a Taurus but not the other way around or if the Taurus mag will work without mods. I worry that the T-mag would be sloppy in the Beretta.

Clarification as asked for: Yes, inquiring about the Taurus models similar to the Beretta 92. Thanks!

Any experience with this?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by uwtriguy; January 2, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old January 2, 2013, 01:32 PM   #2
ShootingNut

Sounds like potential problems to me, that said I have no clue how
close the 2 mags are in size/design.
Why not just pickup the Beretta mags?
Old January 2, 2013, 02:05 PM   #3
carguychris

uwtriguy, perhaps a clarification is in order. Are you asking whether Taurus PT92/99 series mags will work in a Beretta?

Keep in mind that Taurus makes several families of pistol that are totally dissimilar from the Beretta 92.
Old January 2, 2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Leejack

The cutouts are different and would require some filing to make one fit the other. I think there's a difference in the shape of the front corners as well. I have heard that people have accomplished just what you're asking, but I would recommend getting the right mag for either gun, just my opinion.
Old January 2, 2013, 03:09 PM   #5
Brian48

Unless something radically has changed recently, Taurus PT92/99 mags should work fine in a Beretta 92 series gun. The reverse however, is not possible unless you open the hole where the mag release engages.
Old January 3, 2013, 11:33 PM   #6
swansonk

When I owned a Taurus 92 (now sold) I picked up a couple after market magazines that were supposed to work in both the Taurus and the Beretta. I have since bought a Beretta 92 and, lo and behold, I had numerous failures to feed with the dual-purpose mags when I took it to the range. Back when I had the Taurus in Hawaii, I tried to modify a Beretta magazine for the Taurus with a file. I got it to work after a fashion, but had a number of failures to feed. I'd recommend you stick with the original equipment magazines. Maybe you can work a 1 for 1 trade with someone.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:11 PM   #7
iraiam

The Taurus PT92 has a wider magazine catch in it than the Beretta. My Taurus PT92 is an older one from the 1990's, I cannot say if the newer ones are the same.

The Taurus magazines do not work in the Beretta they latch in, but they are loose and feed failures occur. The Beretta magazines do not work in the Taurus. I have 4 magazines that are designed to work in both (see pictures)

The Beretta notch

The Taurus notch

The Taurus/Beretta notch, I have used these magazines in both without issue, but not extensively.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; January 4, 2013 at 12:19 PM.

Tags
beretta , magazines , taurus