The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 11, 2006, 02:00 PM   #1
Charles S

New Custom Knife

I recently received a new custom knife from Mark Goldsworthy of Goldsworthy knives. Mark post on THR under the user name Cousin Jack. I have posted pictures of the knife below.

Let me first state that Mark was a pleasure to do business with and I will purchase from him again. The price I paid for the knife was a bargain for a custom knife.

Mark makes his knives utilizing O1 tool steel which nominally has a Carbon content of around 0.90 according to my references. For your reference O1 tool steal is also utilized by Randall Knives. Mark heat treats his knives to full hardness then double tempers them at 400 degrees which should make the hardness between 60-63 Rockwell.

The specification for the knife Mark made for me were:

Blade length 3.25 to 3.5 inch
Finish a blackened blade
Blade shape, unspecified, but I prefer a knife with a fair amount of belly for skinning and working purposes.
Jimping (sp) in front of the choil (sp?)
I think it improves the handling by allowing one to choke up on the blade for fine skinning work ext.

Handle a sealed para cord wrapped handle
and a kydex sheath. Further I specified a cross draw style sheath.

The knife, I generally use a fixed blade knife when I am camping for cooking chores, for cleaning fish and game, and for general utility to work. While I have had training in Martial Arts and Filipino style knife fighting, knife fight for me would be an absolute last resort. (I can no longer retreat, my gun is empty, I can no longer strike with it, I have no striking tool and I can no longer retreat).

My impression:

The knife is excellent. One cannot truly appreciate how much better a custom knife is than a mass production until one experiences it. The balance is excellent, the fit and finish is excellent. The handle fits me very well. The blade came sharp, but after a day of use I felt the need to sharpen it again. I soon had the knife well past any practical level of sharpness. It is what I term hair popping sharp, in other words the knife does not have to lay against the skin to easily cut hair. The knife seems to retain the edge quite well. I would put edge retention as very, very close to my Dozier D2 knife, but I believe that it is easier to sharpen. I have been very pleased with this knife. I will be happy to answer any questions you have.

Charles
Old April 12, 2006, 08:32 AM   #2
PSE

it appears that you are his marketing agent. why not list the price paid?
Old April 12, 2006, 07:36 PM   #3
whiskey

Thank you for the very informative review. Custom knives are usually expensive, in knife terms, but every bit worth the added cost over production knives.
Old April 13, 2006, 04:07 PM   #4
Charles S

Quote:
it appears that you are his marketing agent.
PSE. If you are implying I am pleased with the knife then you are correct. I would rate the knife as very good.

IF you are implying anything else, then you would be incorrect and would be making an ASSumption on your part.

I paid $150 for the knife. As I indicated in the above post I will be happy to answer any questions.

I am very pleased with the knife and Mark was easy to do business with. I thought I would pass it on for anyone interested in a good custom knife for a reasonable price.

Charles