The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 18, 2013, 09:22 PM   #51
deerslayer303

Oh and also, upon inspection of the front sight on mine. I can clearly see the front sight is slightly bent to the right. I'll bet if I straighten that sucker back up it'll shoot dead center (its shooting about 2" to the left). What is the best way to bend the blade? I'm thinking put the barrel in the vise and use a pair of vise grips or something that had alot of surface area on the jaws.
Old March 18, 2013, 09:39 PM   #52
Wild-Bill

Even if I have to pay for shipping maybe I could fudge a little discount on their Western Holster.
They were quick on email reply and I have no doubts things will work out.
I'll check back in.

Also, I really liked the optic sites.
Old March 19, 2013, 08:19 AM   #53
Cesure

.32 H&R RR

I bought a RR in .32 H&R and I haven't fired it yet, but I have noticed a problem with loading and unloading it. As you rotate the cylinder with the loading gate open, it clicks into cylinder lock just barely past the last point where you can feed a round in or push a case out. A slight overshoot as you try to feed the round through the loading channel and you can't back the cylinder up enough to get the round in. So you have to roll it around again until you have it just balanced on the edge of lockup. I plan to solve this by filing a little bit of meat out of the loading channel so that a round will go in while the cylinder is prevented from backing up. It shouldn't take much. The excess meat is on the back and lower side of the channel and the area that would need reduction should be hidden by the loading gate. I'll do this after I have a few rounds through the gun to make sure it doesn't have any other problems.
Old March 19, 2013, 12:33 PM   #54
Cesure

First firing of the new .32 H&R RR

I just put 12 rounds of .32 S&W short through it. What a pleasant little experience that was. The gun handles well, except for the loading/unloading problem I mentioned. It would almost be easier to load/unload by removing the cylinder each time, but shaving the loading channel is the long term solution. It's the hand/star interaction that keeps the cylinder from backing up far enough, not the cylinder lock as I previously thought.

It shot a little under 2" left at about 18'. I'll be putting both .32 S&W Long and H&R Mag through it before I decide how to correct for that. I'll probably just tap the front sight to the left with a small hammer.
Old March 22, 2013, 04:30 PM   #55
outlaw2

Heritage

I bought my Heritage 22/22 rr at the end of last summer and I am very happy with the way it shoots so far no problems.
I am partial to the Birdshead revolvers and that is what I got I have more expensive revolvers and the Heritage and performed just as well as the more expensive ones

Old March 22, 2013, 06:06 PM   #56
deerslayer303

^^ I like that alot. I didn't even know they made a 22 with the birds head grip. Hmm I may have to pick one of those up. Thanks for sharing.
Old March 22, 2013, 08:40 PM   #57
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I bought my Heritage 22/22 rr at the end of last summer and I am very happy with the way it shoots so far no problems. I am partial to the Birdshead revolvers and that is what I got I have more expensive revolvers and the Heritage and performed just as well as the more expensive ones
SAHWEET!!!

You,re killin' me man! LOL
Quote:
I'm really starting to like on that little birds head model with the mother of pearl grips. Ya know you guys, and this thread are gonna cost me money If I see one at the LGS.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 23, 2013, 12:46 PM   #58
Wild-Bill

I do not like the Bird's Head grips. Especially on a "cowboy" gun.
Hogue just sent some to me by mistake for my Taurus 94. They are going back.
Old March 24, 2013, 08:13 AM   #59
outlaw2

You are welcome deerslayer and Cheapshooter you wont be sorry those Birdshead models are good shooting revolvers I also have a Ruger in 45acp and it handels the recoil very good.
Also those Birdshead models do have sex appeal

Old March 24, 2013, 10:21 AM   #60
Tad_T

When I get out my little mother of pearl handled bird's head, I always think of Little Bill and English Bob.

"I'll be having that .32, Bob."

I didn't think I would like the grips until I actually held it and shot it.

It's a fun little shooter.

I got the matching set of Rough Riders when Cabela's put them on for $129. Then I ordered the .22 Magnum cylinders for $30 apiece. I think that it is hard to beat a matching set of little "cowboy guns" for $318.

It would take more than that to find a match for either my Single Six or my Virginian. I keep looking, though.

Outlaw, I liked the way you set up that shot with the spurs. Well done. Nice revolver, too.
Old March 27, 2013, 08:32 AM   #61
outlaw2

Thank you Tad and you are right about those Birdshead revolvers being fun to shoot I know I have sure been enjoying mine