The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 4, 2012, 09:44 PM   #1
IDAHOMIKE

My first two attempts at tooled holsters

These are far from perfect, but I wanted to play around making some tooled holsters. Hope y'all enjoy!

"Aces and Eights" '51, in keeping with the theme of the gun, I put 8 spade and club conchos around the belt.

[IMG][/IMG]

Something I worked up for a snubby 1860.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 4, 2012, 09:50 PM   #2
shortwave

Very nice work IDAHO.
Old February 4, 2012, 09:57 PM   #3
IDAHOMIKE

Thanks Shortwave. Been playin' with leatherwork for some time now. Never did the tooled stuff as it looked like a PITA. I must say I was wrong, these were a helluva lotta fun to put together.
Old February 4, 2012, 10:00 PM   #4
Beagle333

I like them! Good looking work.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old February 4, 2012, 10:53 PM   #5
denster

I make holsters as a retirement business and those impress me. You did good Mike.
Old February 4, 2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Ultravox

Very nice. I especially like the conchos.
Old February 5, 2012, 01:13 AM   #7
IDAHOMIKE

Thank you all for the kind words. Hopefully one of these days I can make this my full time gig. I have a '62 Colt I want to do something up for, but I haven't quite figured out what type to build. I'm thinking something with a flap so as I have more room for tooloing.

Denster-Wish I had some orders to fill, I keep eyeballin' that '58 of yours for sale, but I'm pretty muzzleloader poor right now.
Old February 5, 2012, 01:54 AM   #8
IDAHOMIKE

Since y'all seem to like those other ones, here's a few of the non-tooled ones I've done.

Cimarron Model P, .44 Special, or Elmer Folt as I like to call it. With a bullet loop to top the gun off if I'm goin' into a saloon in Dodge City or somethin'.

[IMG][/IMG]

This one here now belongs to bbqbob from here, who some of you may know. This was the first holster I shipped out.

Old February 5, 2012, 07:29 AM   #9
Hawg

You do very nice work but is there a reason you use that flat top design so much?
Old February 5, 2012, 08:22 AM   #10
Doc Hoy

Yes....This is nice work

....How many hours does it take to make one like the one in the first photo, in comparison with a more simple design.

I am trying to get a handle on the time involved.
Old February 5, 2012, 11:13 AM   #11
IDAHOMIKE

Thanks Hawg and Doc for the kind words.

Hawg- I used the same basic template for the two cap n' balls, mostly because it gave me a little more room for tooling, and I personally like the looks. When talking with bbqbob about the Single Six holster, he had asked that I cover the trigger. The pic below shows the prtotype of "The Stringbean". So it just kinda stayed that way and turned into my two "Holster with No Name" examples.

Doc-Build time on a simpler holster would be somewhere in the 3-4 hour range, give or take an hour either way. The rig for the '51 took I'd guess 10-12 hours, didn't really keep track as I worked on it here and there over a week or so. It was a long ways across that belt and it was a pain leaving the untooled potion down the center and around the conchos. The holsters are much easier. The lil' 1860 one went real quick, more like a simple design.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old February 5, 2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Pahoo

Excellent work !!!

Could tell, right off that you are not new to Leather-Craft. ....
I use quite a few basket-weave tools and folks should appreciate that each weave is an individual stamp. If a person doesn't get the right alignment, the piece will look bad. Yours look great. Are you using a stitching awl or double needle? Thank you for you pictures and post. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old February 5, 2012, 11:20 AM   #13
ScottRiqui

Since you sell these, I hope it's not impolite to ask about how much they cost? I don't know the first thing about prices for hand-tooled holsters/belts, but with 10-12 hours of labor alone in the rig for the '51 plus materials, I'm "guesstimating" $600-800?

(Again, I have no experience with handmade holsters & such, so if that's way off, please don't be offended.)
Old February 5, 2012, 11:27 AM   #14
Hawg

Quote:
Yours look great. Are you using a stitching awl or double needle?
Not to hijack the post but I can't get a tight stitch with an awl to save my life.
Old February 5, 2012, 11:41 AM   #15
IDAHOMIKE

More kind words, I appreciate them. Its shocking to me, I guess because I see all the little imperfections in them. To answer about the stitching, I use the double needle, a press to punch the holes, and my two hands is all. I do this partly because thats how I've always done it, and I like to make the stitching on the back look pretty too.

Pahoo-Yes, one stamp at a time does take some time doesn't it? The little "dots" on the 51 really eat up the minutes and I did it mostly freehand, no reference lines and what not.

Scott-Honestly, I have no idea what I would charge for that rig for example. I find pricing hard since as I mentioned above, all I see is the stuff thats wrong with it. Heck, I was considering sellin the rig with the gun for 5 or 6 hundred, but haven't quite decided yet.

Hawg-I tried the awl for a bit, as in about half a holster. that was on the 1st one I did, and I couldn't tell you where the awl is now. I cheat a bit and chuck my punch in a drill press to poke the thread holes. I tried tapping them through with a mallet, but I tend towards thick leather and I'd have to beat the snot outta them to get them through. Drill press is so much nicer.
Old February 5, 2012, 11:56 AM   #16
Pbearperry

You say they are not perfect,but I think they are pretty darn good for sure.
Old February 5, 2012, 12:12 PM   #17
Hawg

Don't sell yourself short. Your work is very good. You see the imperfections because you know where they are and to you they probably look like huge glaring mistakes but I could probably own one of them and never see a mistake anywhere. My work is nothing compared to yours but I use a dremel to make holes.
Old February 5, 2012, 12:30 PM   #18
rodent.22

Very nice shape and form, you have a good eye for what ''goes'' with the arm...
Old February 5, 2012, 03:23 PM   #19
IDAHOMIKE

To be honest I am humbled by all the compliments. I was expecting so-so reviews. There are some naysayers close to me that think holsters are a silly venture, I would sure like to prove them wrong. Again, many thanks to everyone.
Old February 5, 2012, 03:29 PM   #20
DocMurphy

Holsters

How long does it take to make one? They look GREAT! Looks like you are on to something here.
Old February 5, 2012, 03:42 PM   #21
IDAHOMIKE

Docmurphy-The build time varies from piece to piece, but the tooled rig for the '51 took 10 or 12 hours. A simple holster takes between 3 and 4. I make more "pancake" holsters than anything, those I can do in a couple hours. And thanks for the kind words.
Old February 5, 2012, 03:55 PM   #22
Doc Hoy

to DocMurphy

Welcome to the forum.

You came to the right place.
Old February 5, 2012, 09:23 PM   #23
bedbugbilly

IDAHO - beautiful holsters! I love the basketweave! All of them are very nice and you should really be proud of them! Thanks for sharing the photos with us!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 5, 2012, 09:34 PM   #24
IDAHOMIKE

Thanks bedbug! I wasn't sure if the basketweave would go well with a cap n' ball Folt, but I was itching to use the stamp on something so I just went for it.
Old February 5, 2012, 09:42 PM   #25
Beagle333

ooooooh. I like the Folt. I'd put a powder measure in the bullet loop.
Have a Colt and a smile.