The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 23, 2011, 04:30 PM   #26
Doc Hoy

Noelf2

You are right. I do remember the conversation.
Old August 23, 2011, 06:39 PM   #27
robhof

robhof

It's funny that Clint, who is totally responsible for through the roof sales of S&W 44mags during his Dirty Harry era is one of the Hollywood antigun nuts.
Old August 23, 2011, 10:43 PM   #28
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhof
It's funny that Clint, who is totally responsible for through the roof sales of S&W 44mags during his Dirty Harry era is one of the Hollywood antigun nuts.
Clint Eastwood may not be the most pro-gun person but he doesn't outright hate guns either. He was issued a California concealed carry permit before he was mayor of Carmel which he renewed after he was elected.

Quote:
Eastwood's position on this topic has been fairly consistent throughout his career. Besides offering support for various legislative measures intended to prevent guns from being sold to felons and emotionally disturbed people, he has insisted that gun control, by itself, is not a solution to the problem of gun violence. Instead, he has spoken out strongly in favor of more vigorous prosecution of crimes committed with guns.

He said in a 1977 interview:

The politicians have not caught up to the mood of the public as far as criminal justice is concerned. I think there should be a mandatory sentence for crimes committed with handguns. The law isn't tough enough. My name has been on some of those lists against gun control, but it's been done without my permission. People in those groups don't support prosecution hard enough. There's no way to outlaw handguns, because our society is so inundated with them it would be impossible to stop criminals from getting them. But there shouldn't be any plea bargaining for crimes with handguns. Maybe it's too simple—maybe it's too conservative, too cut and dried—but it works in other countries.
(Interview with Joseph McBride, published in Bijou, v. 1, no. 1, April 1977)

http://www.clinteastwood.org/forums/...c=1305.10;wap2

Last edited by arcticap; August 23, 2011 at 10:54 PM.