The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 2, 2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Duke City Six

Non-penetrating oil?

Howdy folks.

By the way, I read recently that Sig Sauer ships with their new guns a sample of TW-25B from Mil-Comm. On Mil-Comm's site, it's described as a light grease that "penetrates the pores of metal surfaces and creates a roller-bearing smooth surface..."

I'm assuming this is primarily for the slide, but that's not my question.

In the Sig maintenance tutorials, they specify lubing the inside of the mags with a "non-penetrating" lubricant.

I'm guessing that any regular gun oil qualifies. Is this the case?

Thanks.

Last edited by Duke City Six; March 3, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old March 2, 2010, 04:49 PM   #2
mete

For the mags a non-penetrating oil is what you want as the penetrants can penetrate around the primer and you'll have a misfire !!! I use RIG [no longermade] or a turbine oil. Don't use WD-40 !! Years back there was an article about tests by the NRA which gave a list of the good and bad lubes as far as penetration but I couldn't tell you about all the new ones.
Old March 2, 2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Duke City Six

Thanks.

Last edited by Duke City Six; March 2, 2010 at 09:54 PM.
Old March 2, 2010, 05:28 PM   #4
RETG

I run TW-25B down the bore, on the barrel, on almost all moving parts. After letting it sit in the barrel I run a swap to clean it down. This leaves a very fine film. For the outside, I apply with my finger a very light coat.

Great lube for guns....
Old March 2, 2010, 05:43 PM   #5
Duke City Six

Thanks RETG.

Good to hear another endorsement of the product.

Last edited by Duke City Six; March 2, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old March 3, 2010, 09:58 AM   #6
drail

Breakfree CLP has been my standard juice since it was first introduced and it does everything they claim for it. Recently I have been using Dexron automatic transmission fluid and it does an excellent job also although it won't protect from corrosion as well as CLP. As long as you keep some lube on the parts that require it most of the products on the market work well. Just don't overlube and keep it away from the breechface and magazines. I think the whole idea of lube "penetrates the pores of the metal" is snake oil marketing. Metal doesn't have "pores".
Old March 3, 2010, 02:43 PM   #7
Duke City Six

Okay, I think I should have left out the part about the Mil-Comm grease. That was just sort of a general FYI, and didn't really have anything to do with my question, which was about using a non-penetrating lubricant on the magazines. I understand that all excess should be carefully wiped off. I am familiar with Breakfree.

Quote: "... keep it away from the breech face and magazines."

Are you suggesting that the magazines should not be lubricated at all?
Old March 3, 2010, 02:57 PM   #8
foghorn leghorn

for the mags use "Lubit-8" oil with teflon.
WD40 is a cutting fluid. It will rot your wood stocks.
Rem-oil is ok for the whole gun, but maybe not as good as
Lubit 8 or slick 50. teflon is the trick for the mags.
Old March 3, 2010, 02:59 PM   #9
mete

Most shooters use too much lube . Take apart the mag , clean thoroughly and apply a LIGHT coating of lube. All moving parts should have lube other parts should have rust protection for blued guns.
Old March 3, 2010, 03:03 PM   #10
Duke City Six

Thanks. I just talked to Sig. They said that Breakfree CLP is indeed considered a non-penetrator. As stated, use sparingly and wipe off excess.

Thanks for your input, everybody.
Old March 3, 2010, 04:20 PM   #11
drail

Magazines should be kept clean and dry. (especially the inside) To prevent blued carbon steel magazines from rusting a very thin coat of oil wiped on with a rag one method. Some swear by cleaning the mag and applying several coats of paste wax. Johnson's, Mecguires, Turtle, whatever you have in the garage. The insides needs only to be cleaned to remove powder residue. In hot summer temps the wax will evaporate away and need frequent reapplication.
Old March 3, 2010, 05:54 PM   #12
NWPilgrim

That's why I like Tetra Gun lube and grease. They are meant to be applied, rubbed in, then wiped off dry leaving a protecting dry film. No worries about penetration of cartridge primers via the magazine walls.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old March 4, 2010, 12:23 AM   #13
FullCry

Engine oil works for me. It's a lube with good anti corrosive and anti rust properties. As good a gun oil that you can get though I do like Rem oil. Put the oil on then wipe it off....what a wonder. I'm an auto tech of eleven years so i'm lubed up fairly well myself.
Old March 4, 2010, 08:30 AM   #14
N.H. Yankee

I use a dry type graphite or a dry film teflon type lube, I don't want anything that will attract lint or dirt. I just bought a Para Ordnance GI expert and Para also packages a small tube of TW25. I have to wonder if this is what the companies endorse or is Kleen bore giving them a little kickback to package their product. I have used TW25 and while its excellent it isn't the holy grail of lubricants. All lubricants have their good properties and downfalls depending upon application points.