The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 17, 2015, 05:57 AM   #26
4runnerman

What is a Pharmacy scoop?.
Old November 17, 2015, 08:40 AM   #27
swinguard

4Runnerman, a pharmacy scoop is just a fancy name for a scoop or spoon that is used for specific measuring. They're really no different than a Lee Powder measure kit, which I personally like to use when loading Shotgun Slugs.
Old November 17, 2015, 10:07 AM   #28
Vance

I don't think anybody noticed in the OP's post that he never asked about digital or non digital scales, just about a good scale for reloading.

Here is a good one. http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...or__039__Scale
Old November 17, 2015, 10:16 AM   #29
snuffy

Quote:
I need a good digital scale
I know this is an old topic but, I need a decently priced scale for reloading.
Any recommendations are appreciated.
Vance, you didn't notice the headline in post #1------, did you?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old November 17, 2015, 08:18 PM   #30
Vance

Guess I didn't. He can find a good scale either way.
Old November 17, 2015, 09:48 PM   #31
hartcreek

swingguard

You have no clue what a pharmacy scoop is if you are comparing it to Lee scoops. There aint no comparison.

The links for the current ones being made. Mine are antiques.

http://www.totalpharmacysupply.com/b...el/4,4046.html

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/produ...spatula/14357q

More like mine

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vint...YAAOSwd0BV3ie8

Last edited by hartcreek; November 17, 2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old November 18, 2015, 08:25 AM   #32
swinguard

Hartcreek, I clicked on the link you provided. I then opened the tab Scoops & Spoons. A lot of them looked very similar to my Lee Dippers.
Old November 19, 2015, 11:27 AM   #33
F. Guffey

Quote:
You have no clue what a pharmacy scoop is if you are comparing it to Lee scoops. There aint no comparison.
Hartcreek. swinguard is like me, I hope, I am not sensitive. Scoops, there are not many scoops I do not have, I have adjustable scoops that are 120 years old +. Then there is R. Lee, in his book on modern reloading, he went to great lengths to explain the large amount of engineering and design that went in to his scoops. Problem? Finding anyone that has read R. Lee's book on modern reloading.

F. Guffey
Old November 23, 2015, 06:38 PM   #34
PolarFBear

I started with a Lee scale. Worked well but was slow. I got a Dillon off Fbay. Expensive but I have really enjoyed it. Just remember to zero the scale with the check weight before starting.
Old November 23, 2015, 10:16 PM   #35
Girvin13

What would be a good price to pay for a digital scale for someone just starting out?
Old November 23, 2015, 10:30 PM   #36
RC20

Quote:
All you guys droning on about a digital scale.......when was the last time you measured less then 1/10 of a grain of any gun powder? Well I did it last night when I was loading some .308 rounds with my beam scale......with most powders 1/10 of a grain is only a few kernals and there are far more factors that effect accuracy the a few kernals

HartCreek:

You are not listening I guess. First of all its easy to get it to 1/10, so why not if its not that much more trouble? Maybe helps, maybe not and likely not but there is some satisfaction.

Beam scale: not sure within what 4/10? Slow, slow, slow. I can weigh it close and come close to matching the auto dispensers for speed.

And that is just powder charge, you want to weigh bullets, sort cases, do that on a beam? Ungh.

Cheap scale can be kept more accurate (read) than a beam and right technique spot on.

Even if you don't measure powder a digial is must have tool on the bench.

Last edited by RC20; November 23, 2015 at 10:54 PM.
Old November 26, 2015, 04:49 PM   #37
swinguard

Girvin13, You were wondering how much a beginner should spend on a digital scale.

If your planning on just loading plinking rounds, then a $50-$75 scale should be sufficient. If Your leaning more towards accuracy, You may want to consider something a little more pricier.

In either case, this is what I would do if I were you. Go to Midway or Cabelas and start reading the reviews on all the different models of scales available. I would also do a search of "reloading scales + reviews"

Good Luck in Your search.
Old November 27, 2015, 08:07 AM   #38
mehavey

Earlier in Post #2 I'd recommended the Lyman MicroTouch for as good an all-round scale as one might want for normal reloading. (For that matter, even super-doper reloading). I've had/used to for years up in the kitchen in weighing/separating cast bullets and found it to be fast and reliable. (Note that I also have the RCBS ChargeMaster that I now relegate to checking thrown charges downstairs, and three other balance beam types from long, long, long ago).

But since others have gone gaga over the El_Supremo Deluxe GemPro-250, I broke down and got one of those the other day. (A handloader never can have too mnay scales, don'cha know.)

I admit that it's quite a unit, weighs everything in units from barley corns to carets (w/ grains in the mix) and does so with two-decimal (1/100 of a grain) precision.

So I sat the Lyman next to the GemPro, pulled out a Smith Carbine bullet, and weighed it on each scale.

Code:
Lyman:   351.1
GemPro:  351.21-351.25 (varying)
huh?

Then I closed the air cover on the GemPro:
Quote:
Sometimes there's something to be said to too much sensitivity/precision.
Now maybe if I have to differentiate between grains of yellow cornmeal filler in the Smith's BP load...
Old November 29, 2015, 04:24 PM   #39
Girvin13

Thanks Swing for giving me a starting point.
Old November 29, 2015, 06:52 PM   #40
Economist

Search Amazon for a MTM Mini Digtal Scale.

$30 is what I paid for my digital scale. Still working perfectly after 3 years. Fast, accurate, reliable.
Old December 2, 2015, 12:19 AM   #41
Bongo Boy

While the op may have disappeared or already have the information needed, there were quite a few comments above that suggested there's an assumption that people want digital because of perceived accuracy--in fact I think that was the prevailing viewpoint.

There are several reasons I chose digital, mostly having to do with the way I've chosen to load and what I'm loading.

1. I've got at least two powders that I find simply have to be weighed--using a thrown weight isn't an option. One is 800X because it simply cannot be dropped in my equipment and at my desired throw weight without a 100% variation from charge to charge. The other is 4198 and anything like it, because the grains simply choke the powder measure--it won't rotate and chop those grains when they bridge across the cavity and the hopper.

2. I find it easy, fast and comforting to read my charge weight in big ol' 3/4" or 1" tall digits. I simply like seeing a weight readout.

3. I load some powders by trickling directly into the case--either literally into the case mouth, or into a funnel jammed into the case mouth. It takes me a few seconds to dump 40 gr of powder into the case, and I'm ready for the next. So, it's important to have a fairly fast tare function and quick damping. Case goes on the pan, hit tare, trickle, remove the case, repeat. If the scales reads well within a range I find negligible, I don't bother taring the scale at all--not going to worry 0.02 gr vs 0.00 gr for example. I like this method--with a speed trickler I find it fast and it eliminates any handling or pouring of the propellant (except to load the trickler once, etc).

4. When doing small handgun loads for chronography, I have often wanted a good number of loads at each of many different charges, but each charge differing by only .1 gr or so, for example Clays or Solo 1000 loads down around 3-4 gr. So, rather than trying to hit 3.1 g as closely as possible and not overshoot to 3.2, I set the scale to milligrams. This lets me see higher resolution, move faster to the desired charge, and not overshoot by large chunks. This isn't a matter of wanting extraordinary accuracy (or precision, either) because I think it's going to improve my shooting--I just want to generate a plot from the best possible source data. That's fun for me.

So anyway, digital for this application makes sense to me and is my preferred way to go. Other than maybe on the microwave oven or at the gas pump, I can't think of any other places in my day-to-day living where I don't prefer an analog readout (e.g., clocks, weather thermometers, auto dashboard).

Last edited by Bongo Boy; December 2, 2015 at 12:56 AM.
Old December 2, 2015, 01:23 AM   #42
Bongo Boy

As for price, I have two digital scales. One is a Mack 10 (sold everywhere) that I think I paid about $55 for at Old Will Knott (online). I also have a Sartorius AY123 precision scale (capacity is 120 g, accuracy 0.001 g), that sells right now for just around $300.

Now, I can't weight heavy bullets on the Mack because of it's low capacity, and it's fairly slow to tare. But, I've compared samples on both of these scales and I believe they've always been to within a few mg of one another. The cheaper Mack 10 sits on my bench in an unheated garage year after year getting knocked around, getting dust on it, etc. It has always worked well with batteries being the only think its needed (about twice in 5 years). It does exhibit a little drift sometimes--put a 10.0 gr charge on it and come back 2 hours later--it might read 9.9--but this isn't a routine behavior. It's in a garage.

My opinion is that most digital scales you can buy that have say a 50 g capacity and readout to +/- 0.010 mg are going to be very accurate--meaning they will give you the same reading for the same weight each time you perform the weighing. They are all very linear--extraordinarily so--meaning a 0.05 gr change in charge at 10 gr is a 0.05 gr change at 50 gr. Most if not all are temperature compensated--even in the $50 range.

So, honestly, I wouldn't worry about whether they're 'accurate' or not. I'd be way more concerned about how they're actually packaged--does the pan area have a lot of nooks and crannies to collect debris, is there a removable pan or surface that can be cleaned, is there a built-in or removable cover, batteries only or AC adaptor (if you care), capacity sufficient to weigh those 500 gr bullets, what units are selectable (almost all have at least 5 or 6), and what is the resolution.

There are a bajillion choices--I would most definitely NOT limit my choices to the scales offered by the reloading companies. Actually those wouldn't be my first choice at all--I'd look at the predominant brands (there are like 4) and find one on eBay shipped to the door for $40-60.
Old December 2, 2015, 01:50 AM   #43
Bongo Boy

Quote:
I do precision reloading with a beam scale no problem and a higher rate can be accomplished with refinements in technique.
It could very well be the OP doesn't yet have a scale at all, it which case he's faced with a few choices. I don't see any obvious advantage a beam scale would provide a person in that situation--cost, accuracy, convenience, compactness and versatility don't seem to be areas where a beam scale provides any big advantage.

For me and the way I load, the beam balance means at least one extra step. Using a scoop means two extra steps, both of them handling powder in my hands (with little wee scoops and pans, etc). I sure don't argue you can do work that's every bit as good with those tools, I just can't find any single reason to choose to do it that way over other methods if you're not already doing it that way.

Yours is a fair question though, for sure. If someone were to start a thread entitled "I need a good beam balance scale" I imagine one of the first responses would also be "Why?".
Old December 5, 2015, 12:16 AM   #44
Carriertxv

LE-28 how is that Hornady bench scale working for you. Any issues at all?
Old December 5, 2015, 10:38 PM   #45
alistair

Anyone use the frankford-arsenal platinum series scale?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/395...grain-capacity