The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 16, 2009, 10:28 AM   #1
J2.

Cleaning while in battle?

I hope this is a good spot for this question.
I purchased a Russian Nagant rifle this summer in 7.62x54 cal. It is a fun inexpensive gun to shoot. Great for teaching the sons how to handle something bigger than a 22.
It is how ever a pain to keep clean, when using military ammo especially. The residue never seems to go away!
Which leads me to my question.
In a real war time situation, with all that may be going on around you. How in the world would a soldier keep his rifle clean?
Hey stop that, I said rifle! From what I have seen it wouldn't take much for one of these bores to become so fouled that a bullet would never make it down the length of the barrel.
Just a thought I had while cleaning this gun for umpteenth after shooting with my boys.
Old December 16, 2009, 10:37 AM   #2
hoytinak

Not sure how they did it then but now you clean it before you leave the wire and once you get back. Through 6 deployments I've never been in a situation where the M4 had to be cleaned during the fight.
Old December 16, 2009, 10:52 AM   #3
Psychlopath

I agree with above.

Maintenance is done when you are not firing.

Or being fired at.

It would take a better man than I to break down a weapon outside of a wire.
Old December 16, 2009, 01:51 PM   #4
4thPointofContact

Cleaning while engaged with the enemy? No, it doesn't get done anymore than taking time to sleep while engaged in battle.

There Are lulls in battle though, that is when drinking, eating, defecating, sleeping, and cleaning your weapon is done.
Old December 16, 2009, 02:52 PM   #5
J2.

I had not considered that. Thanks. I also realize I posted this in a wrong location! Mod feel free to relocate.
Old December 23, 2009, 07:43 AM   #6
RobertRogers

There is far more down time than actual action. In fact, there is a great deal of bore-dom. Perfect time to clean the bore.
Old December 26, 2009, 10:03 AM   #7
Uncle Buck

Quote:
In fact, there is a great deal of bore-dom. Perfect time to clean the bore.
The only part I would disagree with is it should be Bored-Dumb! Seems my guys where always finding something dumb to do between patrols and on their down time...

Hey MSgt Buck, remember that HUMVEE that the front end used to shake real bad in when you got it to 35 mph?

What do you mean "Used to"?

Well, uh, Jenkins had it up to 60 and hit a small pot hole and tore the front end off....

OR

"Camel Spider fight tonight outside the mess hall. Scorpions allowed!"

Off the guys would go, looking for the biggest spider they could find. Out turning over boards and things trying to catch scorpions...

Yeah, they cleaned their weapons an awful lot. Kept them out of trouble and me from having to explain to the old man why my troops were not ready to go.

There was also the incidents with the stolen fire truck, unauthorized haircuts, misplaced bunks, 'found bicycles'...
(I miss the hell out of those guys and I hope each and everyone of them are doing well. )