The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 14, 2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Skitter

Range Report

Heya! Went to the range today, for the 2nd time with my Marlin 336w, and was quite happy I figured out how to aim the thing...

I enclosed the target used, but here is my question. As you can see most of the rounds are hitting higher up, once I noticed that, I aimed at the bottom of the 8 ring on the paper, and that was when I started hitting consistently inside the 10-ring. Granted I am blind without my glasses and I was not using a scope on my Marlin, still have not bought one. I only put the target out to 50yrd I already dropped the elevation of the stock sites to the lowest I can go. I am assuming at this point all I can do is aim low if I know my gun shoots high...

Old March 14, 2013, 05:39 PM   #2
alex0535

You could change out the sights and hopefully get a better range of adjustment. Using an optic is the other option. A friend of mine had the same problem with some high viz sights that got installed on his 336w.

Consider making that optic a red dot sight. Next deer season my Burris Fastfire III 3 moa red dot is going to be on our Marlin 336. Put the dot on the target and pull the trigger. I can head shot squirrels with it at 50 yards, I expect for it to be very good at accurately shooting a deer.

If you do consider getting a red dot, try to find one you can turn on and look through. Usually people with bad eyes seem to prefer red dots over iron sights, but sometimes things like astigmatism can do funny things to the dot.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:53 PM   #3
Skitter

I already found a Bushnell Banner 1.5-4.5x32mm that I want to get for it, nice low profile without making the gun top heavy.
Old March 15, 2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Buzzcook

You might try some different ammo. Heavier bullets might hit higher.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Metal god

A taller front sight will lower your POI .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old March 16, 2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Skitter

My Front site doesn't appear to be adjustable. So it's down to waiting for my scope