The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 26, 2010, 09:06 PM   #1
KCabbage

Anyone try Corbons 44 Magnum 180 gr. HP?

I'm curious how this load behaves in the field.

Thanks
Old December 27, 2010, 02:04 AM   #2
bamaranger

180/44 mag

I am not shooting Cor Bon's but have shot Hornady 180 and 200 gr reloads on deer from my Ruger auto's w/ pretty good success, ie, dead deer and max expansion. Its not my line, but, if the critters dead, "at what point did the bullet fail?"!

That said, 180's JHP's, at carbine velocities, expand violently. PERHAPS too violently by some folks standards. I've killed 3 deer w/ the .44/180 combo, and never had a pass through. But the wounds internally were devasting. On one animal, at the very close range of 10 yds, the slug blew apart and acted like a frag within the cavity. All dropped at the shot.

I switched to 200's after reading in the Hornady literature that the 180's were designed for lower velocities, handgun velocities basically, about 1400 fps max. (that number is from memory and may not be exactly right) The 200's were rated up into the velocities likely encountered w/ a carbine, 1800 fps or so, (again, from memory) and I made the switch.

The 200's act much like the 180's did on deer, but I have not had one come apart.

The .44 mag is at its best w/ heavier bullets than this. My Dad had a Win 94 lever in .44 and I saw a number of deer taken by him with that lever carbine. He shot 240 exclusively and never failed to have a pass through.
I also shot 240 in my Rugers, and got pass throughs, but the accuracy was pitiful. My old auto'sw/ their slow twist, like the lighter bullets.

I'm satisfied w/ 180/200 for our Southern deer. I'm an ambush treestand hunter, and my shots are at close range. I can usually play the angles and placement is not a problem.

Were I taking on hogs or bear, w/ a .44 mag, I would want heavier bullets.
Old December 27, 2010, 05:42 AM   #3
bswiv

I also have not used the Corbons but have had the same experence with 180 grain bullets as mentioned.

Used the 180 Silvertips ( Winchester ) on a couple of Florida deer out of a 14 inch Contender. They did the same thing.......came apart & did not exit........even though they killed the deer.

After that I went back to the 240.

Of course the Corbons may be constructed differently so that they won't come apart but I still wonder if they will pass through.

XTPs work very reliably.......................
Old December 27, 2010, 07:55 AM   #4
mete

Try Corbon's DPX all copper 225 gr. They work very well on deer and will expand and exit on most shots.
Old December 27, 2010, 08:46 AM   #5
KCabbage

Excellent info gentlemen, thanks.