The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Ozzieman

Cleaning brass shot in an HK.

Cleaning brass shot in an HK.
Anyone know a good way to clean brass shot out of an HK.
I have a SL-8 and an MP clone, I find it impossible to remove the chamber lines from the brass. I know this does nothing to the brass and it’s perfectly good to reload but I tend to clean my brass so it looks new.
I use a vibrator and have tried with several different mediums and polishes. It comes out clean but the lines are still there. And I don’t want to use a cleaning chemical, my breathing is bad enough.
I was just wondering if there are any HK fans that have a better way to clean there brass.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure what lines you're referring to, but nothing cleans brass like stainless steel pins with liquid cleaner in a rotary tumbler.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Ozzieman

I was trying to come up with the proper name for the lines in the chamber of an HK barrel. They run along the length of the case. From the shoulder to the base of the case. They help the extraction with the roller block action of an HK.
In the MP-5 they are about ¾’s the length of the case.
They leave 6 or more black lines along the length of the case after firing. These are just gas marks not actual dents or changes in the brass.

but nothing cleans brass like stainless steel pins with liquid cleaner in a rotary tumbler
I dont have a tumbler but that sounds like a good idea.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:33 PM   #4
mrawesome22

Fluted chamber.

sudo passwd root
Old October 9, 2012, 06:39 PM   #5
50 shooter

Try Iosso liquid cleaner, harmless to you but I still wear gloves to keep fingers from getting dirty.
No time for rearranging.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Ozzieman

This might help.
The two on the right were shot out of an MP-5 the one on the left out of one of my other 9mm’s.
The HK brass has been through a cleaning process two times (4 hours each) and this is what’s left.

Last edited by Ozzieman; October 1, 2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old October 9, 2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Ozzieman

Fluted chamber.

DUHA!!!
Some times I can even remember my name.
Thanks mrawesome22

Old October 9, 2012, 08:32 PM   #8
amamnn

If you MUST have a shiny case try 0000 steel wool on the brass.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:40 AM   #9
serf 'rett

Brian is right about tumbling with stainless steel pins. A few months ago I picked up some 40S&W brass left by a guy running a H&K full auto model something not available to the general public. Asked him about the lines - fluted chamber.

After tumbling with pins, I couldn't tell which pieces of brass were from the H&K.
Old October 10, 2012, 09:42 AM   #10
serf 'rett

Side note: The little bit of case staining should have no effect on the shooting.
Old October 10, 2012, 05:22 PM   #11
dwhite

<quote>
Brian is right about tumbling with stainless steel pins. A few months ago I picked up some 40S&W brass left by a guy running a H&K full auto model something not available to the general public. Asked him about the lines - fluted chamber.

After tumbling with pins, I couldn't tell which pieces of brass were from the H&K.
</quote>.

I've been polishing with stainless pins for a few months. Little more work but well worth it for the results.

All the Best,
D. White
Old October 11, 2012, 05:42 PM   #12
Ozzieman

Thanks every one for the good suggestions.
One question, has any one used steel pins with a vibrator instead of a tumbler.
I have two vibrating cleaners and no tumbler.

Old October 11, 2012, 07:55 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I think you've got to use a tumbler because it's done wet. In a vibrator type, you don't get the liquid mixing with the pins and brass. Not sure, never tried.
Old October 11, 2012, 07:58 PM   #14
Jim Watson

I have read of people doing wet tumbling with steel pins or ceramic in a sufficiently heavy duty vibratory. But the extra weight is very hard on a cheap one. I leave the walnut hull in my vibratory and wet tumble in a rotary.

I have H&K brass that has been dry tumbled just enough to clean, not polish, and the stripes from the fluted chamber have absolutely no effect on the reloading.
Old October 14, 2012, 02:05 AM   #15
cheezhed

just close your eyes when you load the magazine.
Old October 14, 2012, 09:08 AM   #16
Ozzieman

Yea that’s true, I can just close my eyes and reload and I realize that the lines have no effect on the case, but.
Being an old fart that takes great pride in workmanship, mine or anyone else’s, I want my workmanship to represent the best that I can do, all the time. This I learned from my father.