The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 11, 2011, 07:59 AM   #51
Rinspeed

Quote:
For those of you preaching the p239 with a dak trigger, have you had any issues with pin walkout?

Never really heard of any issues with this on the newer machined slides.
Old January 11, 2011, 08:36 AM   #52
ihuntzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
Never really heard of any issues with this on the newer machined slides.
The one I owned was a .40 model.

The trigger pin would shimmy it's way out of the frame a tad because of the extra cavity behind the wood grips. This would render the gun a paperweight until I removed the right side grip and pushed the pin back in.

It went back to sig twice before I finally just sold it. This was the dak sas model.

I liked the overall fit and finish and would consider a new one in 9mm, but I'd probably opt for a da/sa model.
Old January 11, 2011, 10:26 AM   #53
Oldjarhead

Kahr PM9. Well made and engineered. .380 size gun in a 9mm. Worth every penny.
Old January 11, 2011, 06:55 PM   #54
Yankee Bill

Kel-Tec P-11 ... sub-compact, light, very concealable, 12+1 capacity. While I certailny wouldn't call it the best, it is an excellent SD weapon choice.

YB

Last edited by Yankee Bill; January 11, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old January 11, 2011, 08:35 PM   #55
IMTHDUKE

Here are some options...

If you want to go big, but not too big...

If you wanna go small but not too small...(you don't have to go the fancy route)

If you wanna go small but still potent...
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old January 12, 2011, 07:08 AM   #56
Brit

The magazine release on the R9 looks like a scuffle induced bump! would be saying, "single shot pistol coming up"

Went yesterday to look at the Taurus Slim, compared with a Kel Tec PF9 used (like new, with spare Mag) at $210.00 a good deal! Trigger not bad at all, the P11 trigger, I tried? terrible.

While waiting for my $5.00 check to go through, entered into a conversation with a young (21 YOA day before) EMT, talked him into a Glock 19, used, also like new, while still waiting! gave him a mini lesson on strip, clean, aim and fire, types of holsters, ammunition, IDPA!

My sales guy gave me a box of 25 TAP Hornady, 124g HP 9mm, when the young guy left! Commission?
Old January 12, 2011, 02:02 PM   #57
engineer88

I had a p11 for a while and never could warm up to it. It was too close in size to my glock26 and I just kinda felt like I should carry it since I shot the Glock so much better, it had night sights and I was more comfortable with it.

I do however have a hard chrome PF9 that I adore, shoot decently accurately, and it carries like a dream. I highly rcommend them. I am myslf interested in a cw9 as I like the looks of them and how they are set up (no safeties).
Old January 13, 2011, 11:22 PM   #58
Tdog

I had a hard chrome PF-9 which I gave to my son. When new it had a few FTE's. Long trigger pull but at 10 yards EXTREMELY accurate. After trying different loads decided on the Speer 124 gr. for PD No malfunctions in 150 rounds. CDNN recently had the brown/blue PF9 on sale for $219 and I picked one up. After thorough cleaning and polishing of barrel, feed ramp, rails, have not had one FTF, FTE. Same long trigger pull but VERY accurate at short ranges. Compact and light. Hogue Jr grip helps this. Also I'm not fond of the finger rest on the magazine. Kel Tec has really improved their fit and finish in the newer models. For me, the best bang for the buck. Of course I never leave home without my G19.
Old January 13, 2011, 11:56 PM   #59
Silverado

I have a Ruger LCP which I can carry in any season, either on right hip or in the pocket of jean shorts (in a pocket holster, of course!) on really hot days.

I have been thinking about stepping up to 9mm especially in cooler weather when dressing with a second layer on top is common. I don't own a Glock, nor ever shot one, but really liked the way the Glock 19 felt in my hands at the last gun show I was at. What say you, TFL forum, on the 19 as a good concealed carry 9mm? Thinking about buying one in the next couple of weeks...

Thanks,
Old January 14, 2011, 12:14 AM   #60
Yankee Bill

I went back and forth trying to decide between the Kel-Tec Pf-9 and p-11, as well as the Kahr and some other sub-compacts before I decided to get the p-11. Its 12+1 rd. capacity along with its size is what sold me on the p-11. I like to have access to 12+ rounds without having to carry a spare magazine.

I did a light "fluff & buff" on it, polished the ramp, chamber, rails, etc. I just bought it recently and have only made 1 range trip, and it's a handfull for sure. I ran 100 rds. each of WWB 115 gr. FMJ RN, and Federal Champion 115 gr. FMJ RN without issue. I also ran about 40 rds. of some old 135 gr. JHP Hydro-Shoks I had laying around, and did experience several FTF's with those. I'm going to run another 300 rds. of FMJ RN through it before I try the JHP's again. Then I'll decide if it needs more TLC, or, to be culled from the stable.

If the p-11 is deemed unreliable and I end up having to cull it, I think a Bersa Thunder Pro UC9 may be next on the list to follow me home and prove its worth as an alternative EDC.

YB
Old January 14, 2011, 05:33 AM   #61
Brit

Quote:
Kel Tec has really improved their fit and finish in the newer models. For me, the best bang for the buck. Of course I never leave home without my G19.
Said Tdog.

+1 I think the G19 with TruGlow sights, best carry pistol made. Hope to fire my Kel Tec PF9 today.
Old January 14, 2011, 06:29 AM   #62
spodwo

Quote:
What say you, TFL forum, on the 19 as a good concealed carry 9mm? Thinking about buying one in the next couple of weeks...
Well - you are skipping a whole series of pistols that fall in between the size of the LCP if you go to the G19. If you want a Glock - the G26 is certainly in between the two...
Old January 14, 2011, 08:56 AM   #63
Dashunde

I really cant say going from a LCP to a Glock will work out - I've tried it.
While my G27 is probably my favorite gun, when I try to carry it naturally I compare it to my LCP which I carry everyday - the Glock is horribly fat and heavy feeling, there are much better options for EDC in a 9mm.
I had a PM9 and will be buying another to fill the gap between the LCP & G27.
I'm still trying to find a nice, simple shoulder rig for the G27...
Old January 14, 2011, 03:22 PM   #64
spodwo

Quote:
I had a PM9 and will be buying another to fill the gap between the LCP & G27.
I'm still trying to find a nice, simple shoulder rig for the G27...
Ah - excellent choice to get another one. You are right about the G26/27 being a bit "fat". I have a PX4 sub C and it also is a bit chunky.
Old January 14, 2011, 04:00 PM   #65
a7mmnut

Another fan of the high cap P11. Best of the DAO guns after a full fluff and buff, plus you don't have to carry it in your pants with the firing pin on half cock! The unique addition of the pocket clip sets it apart from the rest in my mind. Mine goes everywhere I go.

www.ktog.net

-7-
Old January 14, 2011, 07:12 PM   #66
Jack19

Here's the answer you didn't want to hear. Concealment isn't a weapon factor, it's a shooter factor.

Concealing a handgun depends on what you're willing to do to conceal it and in what type of environment you'll be traveling. Sure, uber-small handguns conceal more easily but they also lack capacity, energy delivered, ease of shooting well under stress, etc.

Find a weapon you shoot well, that's dependable, and has a capacity you're comfortable with should your personal SHTF, and, then, do whatever it is you have to do to conceal it.

Buying a coat, or a shirt, or trousers, or shorts, one size larger to conceal a handgun you use well is a small price to pay.

My best 9mms are Browning Hi-Powers, Glock 19s, Smith 6906s, etc. Not the smallest, but I use them well. Train like you fight.

Last edited by Jack19; January 14, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old January 14, 2011, 07:21 PM   #67
Nnobby45

I like what Clint Smith said on the subject:

" When it comes to shooting, no gun is too big. No gun is too small when it comes to carrying". Make your choice and sit down (I said that, not Clint)
Old January 14, 2011, 07:40 PM   #68
Mokumbear

Walther PPS 9mm

I am completely happy with the Walther PPS in 9mm.

This is the kind of gun I like.
Quality, not too expensive, that you can enjoy for years to come.
Great finish and the easiest gun to field strip I have ever owned.

Compact? I can wear it with t-shirt and shorts.
The only thing it might not be comfortable for is for going for a bike ride.
Still trying to think how to fill that niche.

Other than that? Perfection!
Old January 15, 2011, 12:32 AM   #69
Nnobby45

Quote:
I am completely happy with the Walther PPS in 9mm.

This is the kind of gun I like.
Quality, not too expensive, that you can enjoy for years to come.
Great finish and the easiest gun to field strip I have ever owned.

Compact? I can wear it with t-shirt and shorts.
The only thing it might not be comfortable for is for going for a bike ride.
Still trying to think how to fill that niche.

Other than that? Perfection!
See, that'swhatI'mtalkinbout"! What a great review---wow!

Only thing left out is how it might actually performs when you shoot the dang thing---like in a real gun fight! I used to have a health plan like that. Great if you didn't get sick.
Old January 15, 2011, 12:37 AM   #70
egor20

"that'swhatI'mtalkinbout

Perhaps he's not been in a "real gunfight" so that may be why he didn't post that bit of information in his critique of the gun.

I now know not to go bicycling with it, something I didn't before.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old January 15, 2011, 12:44 AM   #71
Nnobby45

Quote:
Perhaps he's not been in a "real gunfight" so that may be why he didn't post that bit of information in his critique of the gun.
OK, you got me there. I'd settle for a range report where the gun actually got a good workout.
Old January 15, 2011, 06:37 AM   #72
Jack19

Acutally kids, Mokumbear did answer the question, which was, in case you missed the original post, "I'm looking for a small,thin,light,but powerful 9mm concealed carry." While the PPS isn't my choice, it seems to work for him, and does fall into those criteria outlined by the thread starter.

Before you make fun of him for not having been in any "real gunfights," or at least not detailing them here for your review and approval, maybe you should tell us all about, nobby and egor, your vast gun-fighting experience?

Last edited by Jack19; January 15, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old January 15, 2011, 12:20 PM   #73
Harry Callahan

Although they're no longer in production I LOVE the Browning BDM for CC. Basically a full size 9 that is probably the thinnest 9 you will ever handle. Very comfortable IWB, great sight radius, plus 15+1 capacity. Can be had for probably $400-$500. I've got 2.
"Ah ah. I know what you're thinkin'. Did he fire 6 shots or only 5? To tell you the truth in all this excitement I've kind of lost track myself. But with this being a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off... you've got to ask yourself a question. Do I feel lucky? WELL DO YA, PUNK?!!!"- Harry Callahan(Dirty Harry)
Old January 15, 2011, 12:30 PM   #74
Ben

My favorites: S&W 6906 / or 3913, Glock 26/19, and Kahr K9.

Ben
Old January 15, 2011, 12:46 PM   #75
IMightBeWrong

CZ 2075 Rami (your choice of polymer or alloy), SIG 239, Kahr PM9/CW9, Kel Tec PF9, Walther PPS, Glock 26, HK P2000SK, M&P9c, XDM Compact, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact.

I would pick from there, probably a Glock, CZ, SIG, or PPS.

Tags
9mm , carry , concealed , kel-tec , small