The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 1, 2011, 02:23 AM   #1
James H

Turkeys with a handgun?

Has anyone hunted turkeys with a handgun? I'm trying to get out after turkeys here in Wyoming this coming spring and the only stipulations that I can find in the regs are that .22 magnum and any centerfire round can be used (along with shotguns, of course). I'm thinking about getting a Single Six convertible .22 lr/.22 mag and maybe mounting a scope on it. Maybe, with enough practice, I could use the .22 mag cylinder for turkeys. I'm not getting the Single Six specifically for this purpose, but if I had one, why not? Just a thought at this point.
Old January 1, 2011, 04:14 AM   #2
woodguru

You'd end up making body shots and messing up the breast more often than not. Accurate head shots are the order of the day there.
Old January 1, 2011, 05:13 AM   #3
James H

I asked a similar question about rifles for turkeys a couple weeks ago. woodguru... Why would I end up making body shots if I practiced enough?

Edit: I meant body shots in the wrong place. You all set me straight in the other thread about where to shoot a turkey with a rifle.

Last edited by James H; January 1, 2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old January 1, 2011, 07:47 AM   #4
steveno

I would use my K-38 38 special with factory wadcutters. at 700 fps or so there be very little meat loss. I guess I should add that it isn't legal in Nebraska to use a handgun on turkeys but the K-38 is what I would use if it was.

Last edited by steveno; January 1, 2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old January 1, 2011, 08:40 AM   #5
Hog Hunter

Cant hunt em in georgia wit nothin but a shotgun. Would be cool if you could shoot em with like a 22 mag or something.
Old January 1, 2011, 09:26 AM   #6
twins

Not legal in CO either. Would be interesting to try in legal states.
Old January 1, 2011, 09:48 AM   #7
hogcowboy

If you don't kill one out right and it runs or flies some distance before dropping, will it be the same as with deer? Making the meat more "gamy". Just curious and maybe that would be a reason not to try it with a .22mag or long rifle.

American Legion Rider
Old January 1, 2011, 05:23 PM   #8
fireman1

No not at all. All the more reason for a head shot.
Old January 2, 2011, 04:29 AM   #9
bamaranger

turkeys

Since you asked, I believe the .22 mag from a rifle is a bit marginal for turkeys and body shots, and even more so from a velocity challenged revolver. I grew up around a bunch of older turkey hunters who regularly rifle hunted turks in the fall w/ rifles and the optimal ctg was a .22 Hornet or .218 Bee. The .25-20 was also popular, but not as common, as the lever rifles that chambered it were not easily scoped. The .22 mag was always thought of as a poor second cousin as a turkey rifle by these grand old gents.

Since a revolver will have even less velocity than a rifle, I can only believe that the .22 Mag will be even less effective. I suppose w/ head shots only, you minimize the risk of cripples. But a turkeys head is very animated. Heck, I know guys that have missed a turkeys head under 30 yds w/ a shotgun. (me included) I'd think the temptation to plug one in the body would be hard to resist, especially after a few misses. And the results may not be to your liking.

Hey, I like .22Mag revlovers, I have a long barreled Single 6 and love it. Will a .22 mag kill a turkey, certainly? But there are better tools for the job.
Old January 2, 2011, 04:34 AM   #10
Usertag

Gobble

I think Your Normal .22 Would work just shoot at it a couple times. Or you can Get a Ruger 10/22 and Put a Scope on it. And get some Accurate Headshots. Or get a wadcutter round with the gun you have now. So you want loose as much meat. But Still Effectively Kill it. Hope to Help
Old January 2, 2011, 02:10 PM   #11
James H

Maybe I'll just stick to a 12ga this year. Not sure I really have time to get out and practice enough with a handgun this spring.
Old January 3, 2011, 11:47 AM   #12
Cowboy_mo

Only shotguns legal to hunt turkeys in MO......
Old January 3, 2011, 02:45 PM   #13
johnbt

Virginia:

"Rifles (including air rifles), pistols, and revolvers may be used for hunting turkeys, except where prohibited by local ordinances."
Old January 4, 2011, 10:39 PM   #14
publius

Sounds like a good job for a .327 w/swc's. Only shotguns or bow here in MS. but handgun would be fun.
Old January 5, 2011, 08:20 AM   #15
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
I asked a similar question about rifles for turkeys a couple weeks ago. woodguru... Why would I end up making body shots if I practiced enough?
Because you can't count on a turkey standing still long enough for a head shot. I understand thinking you'll get a head shot, or that if you don't get a head shot you'd pass on the turkey, but after hunting for a few hours and the only good shot you have is a body shot, will you really pass that up?

All the practice in the world won't control the turkey or the shot you get.
Old January 5, 2011, 10:06 AM   #16
reloader28

I think it would be fun. I've thought about doing it myself with a 38 flat nose bullet.

I might be wrong (that happened once) but I believe your supposed to shoot them basically above and slightly forward of the leg?

Even if you hit them in the corner of the breast, your not going to ruin as big of a percentage of meat as the guys that shoot their deer in the front shoulders.
Old January 6, 2011, 01:21 AM   #17
bamaranger

shot placement

Butt of the wing, where it joins the torso is the classic turkey body shot. Heart, lung and spine are all in the area.

"Ahead of the leg" is a gut shot and could be trouble, especially with a marginal cartridge.