The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 10, 2010, 11:10 PM   #1
ENC

Citori problem

Okay this just started in the last month and I have owned the gun for three years now. When I have the selector set to fire the top bbl first after the shot the gun will come unlocked. The first time I noticed it I was shooting heavy 3 inch shells and I thought my thumb hit the lever under recoil. Today rabbit hunting with light loads it did it again twice in a row. My FIL told me to move the selector to the bottom bbl and leave it there. Shooting the bottom bbl first it never did it the rest of the day.

How do I fix this? It is a waterfowl model with 3.5" chambers and camo dipped FYI.

Thanks
Evan
Old January 11, 2010, 10:18 AM   #2
oneounceload

Let someone else shoot the gun to make sure it ISN'T you accidentally moving the lever. If it is still doing it, a trip to the smith to fix things is in order. My Browning O/U started doing it to me (I fire bottom barrel first) every now and again. After about 90,000 rounds, it needed a little tweaking - works fine now.
Old January 11, 2010, 10:46 AM   #3
tedskeet

replace the lever spring
Old January 11, 2010, 12:40 PM   #4
BigJimP

+1 on what OneOunce said .....

I have a bunch of Citori's with well over 100,000 shells thru them ....and I've never had that problem. I rarely shoot the top barrel first ...but that shouldn't matter either - it should still stay locked.

I'm concerned that you might be bumping the lever too ...

But a good gunsmith can tighten it up for you as well.
Old January 11, 2010, 05:25 PM   #5
ENC

Okay so after I and two other people fired it. It is definetly unlocking after the top bbl fires whether it is fired first or not. Is this a definite gunsmith fix, or is it something I can do like changing out a part? If it is a gunsmith job, is there one certain person to send it to?

Thanks
Evan

PS it won't do it with an empty chamber. Also my lever is slightly right of center.
Old January 11, 2010, 05:51 PM   #6
BigJimP

Since you're so close, I would consider shipping it to Briley... Have them go thru the whole gun.

None of us can say what it will take / unless we looked at the gun - it may just be a spring, maybe the bolt is worn ....no way to really tell ....and I'm no gunsmith anyway... Its possible the gun isn't locking up properly for some reason ...to start with.

I trust the work done by Briley / they charge around $ 50 for an evaluation - and I think they apply that to the cost of repairs if you go forward with it. My guess - is you're probably talking $ 200 - $ 500 for a complete tuneup / springs, parts, etc...

-------------------------------------

Briley Manufacturing, Inc.
1230 Lumpkin Road
Houston, Texas 77043
U.S.A.

Hours of Operation
We are open 8-5, Monday through Friday, and 8-12 on Saturdays. We are closed on Sundays. Office or Technical
(For questions concerning Briley products and services)
713-932-6995

Fax
713-932-1043 Orders Only
1- 800-331-5718

[email protected]

Last edited by BigJimP; January 11, 2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old January 11, 2010, 06:23 PM   #7
oneounceload

When I had kmy Gti done, it was by a local guy who does a LOT of Brownings, Berettas, K-guns, P-guns etc. (He lives in a gun club retirement place). It was around 250 for all new springs, firing pins, top lever, making the lever back to right of center, etc.....
Old January 11, 2010, 06:26 PM   #8
Scorch

I would say call Browning and listen to what they say. That is definitely a hazardous situation.
Old January 11, 2010, 06:38 PM   #9
BigJimP

The problem with local gunsmiths - is there isn't really a "standard" for them in terms of experience or quality.

If you know quite a few shooters that have trusted their guns to a local gunsmith / and have been happy with the results - that is a plus. Unfortunately in my area there just aren't any ...at least that I trust....but you should ask around.

Like Scorch says - it isn't safe to shoot that gun right now. But will all due respect to Scorch .....calling Browning, isn't going to get you any info / they will just tell you to take it to a gunsmith.
Old January 11, 2010, 07:12 PM   #10
Dre

Contact Broowning authorized repair shop at your area:

Sports World
6841 East 41st Street
Tulsa OK, 74145
918-742-4027
Fax:918-742-3981
www.sportsworldtulsa.com
[email protected]

These guys will help you
Old January 11, 2010, 07:25 PM   #11
eastbank

i had a small problem with my browning bt 100, the ejector trip rod was defective. i took it to a browning repair shop about 43 miles away and they took it apart finding the defective trip rod and ordered one and when it came in they installed it and gave me a bill marked no charge. i gave them a 20 dollar tip any way. so from how i was treated i would take it to a authorized browning repair shop. eastbank.
Old January 11, 2010, 07:33 PM   #12
tedskeet

the locking lever spring is worn take the stock off and replace it and stop getting yourself crazy i have been shooting brownings for the last 15years.the gunsmith somebody was talking about is bill gillet at the sporting clays in okeeochobee,fl.cant remember the name though.good luck
Old January 17, 2010, 07:20 PM   #13
ENC

Quote:
Contact Broowning authorized repair shop at your area:

Sports World
6841 East 41st Street
Tulsa OK, 74145
918-742-4027
Fax:918-742-3981
www.sportsworldtulsa.com
[email protected]
UPDATE: I dropped the rifle off with these guys. I have actually dealt with this shop quite a bit and I do trust them. After talking with them about the problem at length they assured me they know how to fix it and all will be well. I will let you all know when I get it back. They said it would probably run about a week.

Evan
Old February 12, 2010, 07:12 PM   #14
ENC

I got the shotgun back last Tuesday. It took them a little longer than they originally said. It really didn't matter to me but I still think 'smiths should be more accurate when they quote the work times. It turns out like some of you said that it was just the spring.

I took the gun out tonight and ran some rounds through it and it worked like a charm.

Thanks

Evan