The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 2, 2012, 10:39 AM   #1
dal22ses

Ruger sp101 Grips

I will be picking it up this week. Just waiting on the paperwork to get back from the sherrifs office. I do not like the stock grips and was looking to see if anyone has pictures of theirs with either wodden panel inserts or the hogue rubber monogrips. Just to get an idea of which I might like better. I am looking at the panels that a member here has listed on ebay I think his/her username is 1chig.

Thanks

Last edited by dal22ses; December 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old December 2, 2012, 01:50 PM   #2
GP100man

Here`s a set ,well both sets 1 of em on a GP , fit & finish is superb !!!

Here`s a close up of the fit/finish ya can expect from 1chig.

Nice guy & easy to deal with also .

I have several sets of panels from em .

Here`s another set showing the thickness of em , a little more than the factory 1s ,a + in my case as I have med/large hands.

Old December 2, 2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Cheap 870

I just put these on mine from Altamount grips.
Old December 2, 2012, 09:17 PM   #4
dal22ses

GPMAN100:
Those are the same ones I ordered this morning. That spent casing is a nice touch. I cant wait for them to get to me. I just got the email that he updated the item to shipped so I guess it will be on its way to me tomorrow.
Old December 3, 2012, 03:44 PM   #5
Jayhawkhuntclub

I don't like the blocky rubber grips that come with the sp101 regardless of what panel is in it. The Hogues are much better IMHO.
Old December 3, 2012, 04:40 PM   #6
drail

Most people seem to think the Hogues are "ugly". I couldn't care less how they look. They place your hand in exactly the same position on every draw. My wife has one of the first SP 101s made and it has always had Hogues on it. And it is a joy to shoot. Hogue makes some very fine looking wood grips if you just can't do the rubber thing. Kim Ahrends also makes some great grips. The original Ruger grip actually works very well for control and comfort.
Old December 3, 2012, 05:30 PM   #7
dal22ses

I bought the hogue grips aswell. But I like the look of the wood inserts a lot better. I will most likely just stick the hogue grip in the safe. I have hogue grips on 2 of my other guns that I am not really concerned about looks with. This revolver just looks sweet with the inserts
Old December 6, 2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Mr. James

1chig does beautiful work. I bought two sets from him and he threw in a third gratis. All three are superb as to fit and finish. All three are quite beautiful. I've got cedar panels in it now, a nod to my Pacific Northwest roots.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old December 6, 2012, 06:43 PM   #9
skidder

I removed the factory grips and installed the Hogues. The factory rubber grips with the plastic inserts provided no place for my pinky, but the Hogues are an awesome fit.

Gun permit?? A bread crumb tossed to a sleeping society awoken by the sound of complacency. "They are for your own good", and "you will understand when you see all the lives they save". Yes master, what else will you toss me from your bag of infringements?? Do you want me to roll over and play dead? I do that very well. --skidder
Old December 6, 2012, 09:15 PM   #10
1chig

Thanks to all above for the goods words about my panels!!! I sure appreciate it. Dal22, sure hope you like your panels, tracking says you should get them tomorrow. Thank you very much!!

Last edited by 1chig; December 6, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old December 6, 2012, 09:19 PM   #11
Guv

The Hogue Nylon grip is really nice!
Old December 8, 2012, 03:53 PM   #12
dal22ses

I now have the beautiful wood panel inserts and the hogue grip. I will install the wood panels and leave it that way. They look to nice to put rubber on instead. I might sell the hogue grip or just keep it as backup