The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 22, 2012, 10:59 PM   #1
iplay2wynn

Ruger 10-22 and 1/2inch Target

I need some tips. I have a Ruger 10-22 Sporter Deluxe. I'm new and I've been shooting indoors since June 2012. Our range goes to 75ft (25 yards)
I've gotten good at 30ft and was told not to keep shooting what's easy.
Make it a challenge. I pushed the paper out to 50ft and can hardly see the center of the target. ( I'm 51 just in case your wondering) I got a scope and I can see the center now with no problem. Now I can't seem to keep the rifle still enough to get any type of consistency. The circles are 1/2 inch. I've tried a Hasty Sling. But not much better.
I've tried sitting and shooting off of my Range Bag. It's ruff. Scope is centered. I'm using CCI mini mags. Any tips to get the rifle steady would be appreciated. Thanks
Old August 22, 2012, 11:23 PM   #2
10-96

Hello, and welcome amonst us!
That's really hard to pin down unless we can see you shoot- there's a lot of variables which could be coming into play.

Are all your stock-to-wood screws tight? Scope base and ring screws?

You're not trying to pull the rifle into your shoulder TOO tight, are you? Just pulling it in enough to get it firm and steady- and not 'muscling it to death', is a good starting point.

Are you slowly and gradually pulling the trigger, and holding it there a second after the shot fires?

And, how is your posture? Are you planted steady as you lean into the rifle to gain your sight picture? You should be as comfortable as possible, a bit relaxed, and able to breath freely. If using supports, try centering the rifle to where it's pretty much already balanced, steady, and on target- then sneak up on the rifle slowly so you, friend, or spouse can see where the unsteadiness comes from. Hope that helps.

Again, welcome aboard!

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 22, 2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Creeper

Welcome iplay2wynn

As 10-96 has already commented, when shooting from the bench, try using what I call... a "soft hold". No more pressure than absolutely necessary to squeeze trigger.

Follow through... send you shot, with no further thought or movement for a count of 2. Then you can breath... and look up and see what's what.

Breathing. Shoot during the "automatic pause" period.

C
Old August 23, 2012, 05:03 PM   #4
iplay2wynn

Thanks Creeper and 10-96. I'm breathing and shooting at the end of the exhale. I'm right handed. When shooting off hand I have my left elbow in against the front/side of my body. I was told that's why the Olympic shooters do that to steady the rifle. But I may not have butt snug enough against my shoulder. I will work on that. Another mistake I think I made was adjusting the scope after I got it zeroed. Not realizing that if I miss after initial settings, it's not the scope it's me. Guess you can tell I'm new at this. But I sure do like it. Great hobbie.
Old August 23, 2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Creeper

Trying to shoot into a 1/2" circle at 50 ft off-hand is tough. If you have your breathing down fairly well and your hold is as good as you can do with the stock you have, then without changing the stock, you can try adding weight to the rifle in various positions.
Just ahead of the trigger guard and further out, to see if weight placement stabilizes the gun a bit better. A 1-2 lb piece of lead, duct taped to the gun (yes, I know, it sounds ugly, but this is a test)... try a few groups, then move it forward a few inches at a time.

Another thing to consider is the trigger... you can modify yours (see YouTube and various interweb DIY instructions) or or go well beyond that in precision and price. It's tough to get a clean shot if the trigger pull is stacking and heavy. As you're using this rifle for target shooting, a lighter, crisper trigger might be the stability enhancer that you're looking for.
E. A. Brown makes a inexpensive kit with a 2.75 lb pull that might be a good starting point. After that... things start to go up in price. Clarks. JARD. Various KIDD products.

Cheers,
C
Old August 23, 2012, 09:31 PM   #6
iplay2wynn

Those are some good looking options. I checked out the links. Nice variety. I see what you mean by price. But there are several options you listed with different price ranges. Thanks I appreciate it.

Tags
indoor range , moving , ruger 10/22 , steady