The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 1, 2011, 10:04 PM   #1
digi_virus

Starting Competition Shooting

Not really sure how to begin, so I'll start with a little background. My name is Kyle and I have been shooting for almost 18 years now. Started with my grandpa making me read the Red Rider instruction and safety manual when I was 5. Which lead to shooting trap(broke the first target I shot at, and probably should have quit then), bird hunting, rifle hunting for deer, and most recently within the last year pistol shooting. I have enjoyed my time being an on and off type of gun sportsman, but am considering taking up competition pistol shooting as a hobby. I currently do not own a pistol myself, but have experience with several of my fathers pistols.

Basically I guess what I'm looking for is a good starting place for competition pistol shooting. Gun and gear recommendations, and yes I know first and foremost I have to be comfortable with what I'm shooting. So here is me asking the community for sound advice on getting started in the world of competition pistols.
Old March 2, 2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Don P

For IDPA a concealed carry holster and any off the shelf gun will work and magazine pouches. 3 magazines will suffice. Here is their web site, www.idpa.com
Most stages will be under 24 rounds to be fair to the revolver shooters and for a match total of around 90-100 rounds depending on how many stages are set up.

For USPSA any holster will work and you can wear as many magazines and pouches that your belt can support. Any gun will do as long as you meet the requirements for the division. Round count for a match will run around 140-160. Here is their web site www.uspsa.org

All I can say about both disciplines is they ARE FUN TO SHOOT AND ADDICTING
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 2, 2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Quote:
Most stages will be under 24 rounds
The MAXIMUM required round count for an IDPA string of fire is 18.
Of course you can get carried away with makeup and insurance shots on a long Vickers Count stage and need all the 24 revolver rounds or 25 CDP (.45 ACP) you are allowed to carry. Or maybe even all 31 shots available for the ESP or SSP
You get what is loaded in the gun to start plus two magazines or three speedloaders for reloads.

The problem with IDPA is that it is a close range, big target sport.
I know that my accuracy has deteriorated from when I used to shoot PPC up to 50 yards with a 4x6" ten ring. But I am lots faster.
Old March 2, 2011, 09:46 AM   #4
Japle

Yep, IDPA is a good place to start. Also, look at Steel Challenge. For either sport, a gun, holster and 3-5 mags will do to start out.

You'll get more shooting in SC. The typical monthly match is 6-8 stages with a minimum of 25 rounds per stage, except for the Outer Limits stage where you need at least 20. You can also shoot more than one entry. I shoot .22 and either a 9mm auto or a revolver.
Old March 2, 2011, 11:25 AM   #5
kraigwy

First thing you need to do is figure out what type competitions are in your area. No since is gearing up for IDPA if all they have in your are is Bullseye Pistol. Or buying a semi-auto when all they have is PPC or ICORE.

Hit the gunshops and gun ranges in your area to find out what's available, then start the search for the pistol or revolver that will allow you to compete.

I've shot a lot of differant types of competitions over the years and never yet found one that Wasn't fun.

What's not fun is taking up a sport and find out you have to travel 300 miles to a match at today's gas prices.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 2, 2011, 12:23 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

"...find out what's available..." Yep. And decide what kind of competitive shooting you want to do. There's something for everybody and every skill level.
Look into NRA bullseye shooting to get started. The shooting games are fun, but you need the basics first. http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx
Old March 2, 2011, 01:36 PM   #7
MrBorland

Quote:
"...find out what's available..." Yep. And decide what kind of competitive shooting you want to do. There's something for everybody and every skill level.
This ought to help a bit. Kraigwy's advice is good, too - cross reference the games in the link below with what's available in your area. IDPA's pretty popular, and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a match in your area.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=236788
Old March 2, 2011, 01:45 PM   #8
digi_virus

Thanks for all the advice so far. I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on the Glock 17. I'm gonna go handle one later today, and was curious if any of you had an experience with them. I've done some research, and some reviews say that the more "aggressive" grip on the gen 4 can start to hurt your hands during extensive use. So I'm gonna see if I can get my hands on a gen 3 and 4, and judge the difference. Unfortunately, I won't be able to fire any rounds today with either so if any of you have tried the gen 4 grip let me know your thoughts on it. Also, I've heard there are some issues with the dual recoil springs on the gen 4. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old March 2, 2011, 02:35 PM   #9
WESHOOT2

around here

USPSA club; we invite new folks to let us know they'd like to try things out, and we lend them the gear and gun.
They buy the ammo.
That way there is no need for any serious cash out.

At first.......
Old March 2, 2011, 02:59 PM   #10
Don P

Quote:
and need all the 24 revolver rounds
Correct Jim and this is what I was thinking about when answering. As we say DUH-HUH
Old March 3, 2011, 09:15 AM   #11
NYshooter

Good info here by all. My question, my local club hosts both IDPA and USPSA competitions. I have been using my 9mm pistol so I know I was in classed in production/minor. If i decide to shoot my .45 acp pistol would I still be classified in production and just the power factor would change to major?
What would be the pros and cons of going from one to the other?
Old March 3, 2011, 12:15 PM   #12
RickB

Caliber alone does not dictate the competitive division into which a gun fits. What type of .45 pistol is it?
Old March 3, 2011, 02:06 PM   #13
Jim Watson

NYshooter,

The answers are maybe and no.

USPSA Production guns must be double action or Glockish AND on the approved list by make and model. A 1911 does not qualify, a P220 or Glock 21 does.

All calibers score Minor in Production.
Old March 8, 2011, 08:36 AM   #14
NYshooter

Thanks to Jim and RickB for your answers. I plan on shooting my Beretta PX4 45SD which is a double/single action. So I guess I get to stay in production/minor right? Thanks in advance.
Old March 8, 2011, 10:24 AM   #15
Jesse Tischauser

Here are the 3 most popular pistol competitons.

http://www.uspsa.org/

http://www.idpa.com/

http://steelchallenge.com/

Here are some great videos that discuss each of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXbdbHReqQ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFDaVIbJ4AU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4RXNo4gEyk

You can use all kinds of guns for these sports. Some of the most reasonably priced and popular guns are the Glock 17, 22, 34, or 35. The S&W M&P 9, 9L, 9Pro, 40 or the new 40 Pro.

Holsters and mag pouches from Bladetech, CompTac, or Kytac are very popular in all of the sports. Let me know if you need further assistance.
Old March 9, 2011, 08:16 AM   #16
Don P

NYshooter, the caliber will put you in major for scoring in USPSA and in IDPA you will meet the power floor for all pistol divisions UNLESS you are reloading and reducing your charge weight for recoil. .
Power floor for SSP,ESP is 125,000 and for CDP is 165,000. My reloads for example are 45 acp 230 grain hard cast lead, 4.2 grains of Titegroup and have chrono'ed at 175,000. factory ammo should in all manufacturers make major