The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2005, 04:36 PM   #1
Russ5924

Roll size

Have seen when some sell used brass they say ROLL SIZED but have never seen what they mean.Have found nothing that will Roll size ??????????//
Old July 15, 2005, 04:48 PM   #2
Peter M. Eick

Although I have never seen the machine, my understanding is it is 3 rollers and the brass is fully rolled down to prefiring dimensions. It even gets down the the extraction groove.

I layman's terms, it means that "glocked" brass will be back to minimum sizes again.
Old July 15, 2005, 06:55 PM   #3
saands

That is my basic understanding as well ... BUT ... it doesn't mean that "Glocked" brass will not still be overstressed where it bulged the first time (at the unsupported portion of the chamber) ... so if you are considering reloading it for another Glock, I'd say that would be a questionable idea. What I don't understand is why the folks that sell roll-sized brass tell you that you should still FL size the brass before using it

Saands
Old July 16, 2005, 05:37 AM   #4
Peter M. Eick

Good point Saands. I should have added that.

As a personal comment, I treat glocked brass as 'tossable' in my guns. I use a brass catcher so I tend to keep my brass. Anything else is normally used one time and then I "let it fly" and not use it again.

Once you have seen some 40 'glocked' brass with a buldged base that makes it look like a pregnant guppy, you will probably agree that the risk is just not worth it. To me KB's do not look like fun....
Old July 16, 2005, 11:13 AM   #5
saands

I collect most of my 40 brass from the indoor range where I shoot as it seems to be a lot cleaner than the stuff that stays out overnight at the outdoor range. I'm pretty sure that because so many LE guys shoot there, that a LOT of the brass has been through a Glock. I often wonder how many of the cases have already been through an unsupported chamber and then through your pistol where you just let them fly (as I do as well) ... and then through John's and then Jack's and then Joe's ... I have probably 1000 to 1500 reloads through my HK USP40c, and its chamber seems to be sufficient to support even the "Glocked" brass of unknown history as I haven't had any of it vent (yet). That being said, my Sig225 (which by the pic ... looks pretty well supported) "vented" a midrange (5% under max) reload that I can only assume was previously fired in an unsupported chamber (but in reality it may have been through more than one. It made me happy to be wearing safety glasses ... but I was also impressed at how well the gasses were contained by this chamber. I thought I had a pic of the case, but I can't locate it. It WAS, however, enough to make me realize that I wouldn't ever carry reloads if I might need to fire without glasses on.

Saands

Old July 17, 2005, 10:42 AM   #6
WESHOOT2

eyed

Glock is not the only pistol offering a potentially 'generous' 40 S&W chamber.

IMNSHO "roll-sizing" is what gets done to suspect cases, and I suspect I ain't gonna use 'em, ay?