The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 9, 2012, 02:21 PM   #26
dgludwig

If you can do without the missing bells and whistles others have mentioned, imo, the Smith model Sport 15 is possibly the best buy out there in today's market. I do agree with those who might prefer a slightly faster rate of twist, making the rifle a little more flexible in terms of handling a slightly larger range of bullet weights (lengths) but a 1:8 rate of twist would not be a deal-breaker for my intended uses.
Old December 9, 2012, 09:27 PM   #27
arizona98tj

Unless I am mistaken, the Sport's barrel is a T/C manufactured progressive 1:8 twist 5R barrel, with melonite treatment (as was previously mentioned). S&W owns T/C. Last time I checked, the bolts were stamped MPI too. I don't have one (I have a M&P15 OR) but wouldn't hesitate to get one. They were not sold when I bought my M&P.
Old December 9, 2012, 10:58 PM   #28
gunfighter48

I've owned a S&W Sport AR for over a year now and have over 2300 rounds fired so far. It's never had a failure of any type in all those rounds fired. The only down side is that is will **** off some of the other AR shooters. Because they spent big $$$ on their rifle and it won't shoot as well as the Sport. With Federal M193 55gr ammo, mine will shoot .65" groups at 100yards. A couple of guys were watching me shoot 3 shot groups and ask me if I could repeat the shot group again. So I aimed at one of the other Shoot and See targets and did it again. They were not happy that their $2K plus rifles wouldn't do that well!!!