The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2014, 05:58 PM   #1
MarkGlazer

1 powder, 4 calibers. Your thoughts?

I am currently loading 9mm (wifes' CZ 75 P01) and Makarov (CZ 82). I plan on putting the Mak on a shelf soon and buying a Canik Stingray, also 9mm. My principal home defense weapon is a Taurus model 66 .357 magnum. For the fun of it, and just because I want to, I'm planning on buying a Henry .357 rifle later in the year. Looking at Lee's Modern Reloading (because it is more diverse than my Lymans' manual) I find 4 powders that can be used for all of the calibers (9mm, .357 Rifle, .357 and .38 handgun); Titegroup, HS6, HP38 and Universal.

I am curious to know about your experience with any of these powders and the respective calibers. I am currently loading Titegroup in the 9mm. I am not yet loading for the magnum, obviously that is the next step.

I am planning on making a sizable powder purchase once the supply returns this year, so I am seeking thoughts on performance, both good and bad.

PS - I don't think it matters but I'm sure some might ask about the bullet; for the 9mm - 115 grain lead cast and .357/.38 158 grain lead cast.

Thank you.
Old February 15, 2014, 06:10 PM   #2
kenpomace

can't go wrong with unique powder
Old February 15, 2014, 06:35 PM   #3
madmo44mag

I find IMR4227 the best for 357 and works good in 44 mag.
HS6 to me is limited in its load variables. (Min – max charges)
Can’t really speak to HP38 and Titergroup. I have not loaded enough ammo with these powders to draw any real conclusions.
Unique works wells in most all small caliber pistol loadings with good loading range from min – max loadings
Old February 15, 2014, 07:12 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

I have extensive experience with both HP38 (as Winchester 231 - they're the same powder), and Hodgdon HS-6.

(Yes, we will ask about the bullet, because it doesmatter.) The HP-38 will make great rounds with the 115 9mm's. And excellent plinkers (light loads) with the 158 lead slugs.

But the HS-6 will be more versatile all-around. It'll push the 158's nicely, but would prefer something a little heavier (124 or 147) in the 9mm's.

As far as loading for the 357 rifle, the HS-6 will work. But if you really want to make good use of that nice, long barrel, you'll want to get a slower powder for it - W296 (also marketed as Hodgdon H-110), or IMR 4227.

The short answer to your question would be HS-6 or Unique (as already mentioned). But it's really better if you put at least 3 propellants in your inventory. One fast (HP38), one medium (HS-6 or Unique), and for the rifle, one slow (W296, or whatever).

The right powder for the application is always the best way to go.
Old February 15, 2014, 07:38 PM   #5
Misssissippi Dave

I find trying to find powders that could be used in more than one caliber I shoot is good. This is only if I run out of a powder and it is a long time to get some more. What works well for 9 mm generally is not that great in .357 magnum. There are several powders you can use for 9 mm and .38 special. One powder I have used in both 9 mm and .357 mag. is AA7. You might not be able to reach top end 158 grain jacketed loads but you will be able to do well with cast bullets in a revolver and well enough in a rifle. In 9 mm it works better with at least a 124 grain bullet and better yet with the 147 grain.

Trying to find one powder to work for all pistol calibers and even just the ones you have mentioned, is a good way to be disappointed. I think it might be better to just get two different powders that will work well rather than one to share giving you so so results in both calibers.

Last edited by Misssissippi Dave; February 15, 2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old February 15, 2014, 07:44 PM   #6
Forrest68

Well, I've personally shot alot of HP-38 ands HS-6, both are great powders, meter very well, 115gn was fine, but 124-125grn do better in my opinion, I get better accuracy in my 9mm. Good luck
Old February 15, 2014, 07:53 PM   #7
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Trying to find one powder to work for all pistol calibers and even just the ones you have mentioned, is a good way to be disappointed.
I agree.

Propellants are a difficult thing to compromise.

If the powder is too fast for the application, you're dealing with a steep pressure ramp - not a good thing; especially for the novice loader. Not to mention, probable reduced velocities.

If the powder is too slow for the application, you'll be dealing with soot, residue, inconsistent results, excessive smoke, etc. No fun. (BTW, it surprises me how many people load in this condition - to some degree, or another - on a regular basis. But that's a different forum thread.)

I actually prefer the former over the latter. But then, I'm also really good at avoiding both Which explains why I have nine different powders - and I only load for handguns.
Old February 16, 2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Salmoneye

For the listed calibers/applications, look at Red Dot...

Excellent in 9mm and .38 Special, and can safely achieve mid-range .357 loads...

Sucks to meter I am told...

Promo can be substituted weight for weight for Red Dot, and is supposed to meter better, but the load density is less...
Old February 16, 2014, 08:25 AM   #9
MOshooter65202

Someone else also suggested Unique,it will load all the cartridges you have listed. I've used unique in 9mm,38,357,40,44mag,and 45acp it's a bit dirty but a pound goes along way.
Old February 16, 2014, 08:53 AM   #10
Airman Basic

I've gone even farther with Unique. Using a Little Dandy with rotor #14 meters 7.5 grains. Use it in 357, 41, 44, 45 ACP and long colt. Accurate with all in most bullet weights.
Old February 16, 2014, 09:13 AM   #11
zeke

Another possible approach would be find a number of powders that may work, and buy any ya can find.
Old February 16, 2014, 11:50 AM   #12
SHR970

Of the four that you list (TG, Univ. HP38/W231, & HS6) most of my experience has been with W231 and a fair amount with HS6. Personally, I think you have done yourself a disservice by looking at the LEE regurgitation manual as your primary source to go by for this thought exercise. I say this because just about any fast to med-slow flake type shotgun powder can do as you want: within limits*. A look at my 1992 Hercules manual shows loads for everything you listed but the Mak (380 is listed) and there is data for Bullseye, R.Dot, G.Dot, Unique, and Herco for all of them.

In my own experience, I have loaded 32 (S&W, Long, ACP, H&R), 9mm, 38, 357, 40S&W, & 44 Mag. with W231, R.Dot, & G.Dot. Drop the 32's out except for the H&R and I have done that with Herco. Drop all of the 32's and I have done that with HS-6 & Unique. I'm sure I could do pretty much the same with the two SR powders and PB/700X/800X.

On the faster side of things, you MUST not try to push the limits or you will get pressure spikes quickly; as in a .1-.2 gr difference in charge weight can suddenly manifest high pressure signs. As long as you are willing to load the 9mm and the magnum accept that you will only get into mid range velocity territory with the fast powders you will be alright.

On the slower side of things, as long as you are willing to accept that the slower powders don't down load so well, will run much dirtier at low pressure / velocity loadings (38 standard velocity comes to mind), velocities become more erratic, and are much more likely to squib if you try to go "Cat Sneeze" levels you will also be fine.

Since you stated you were going to make a "sizable powder purchase", you would be better served going with at least a two powder combo if you want to get the most out of spread of guns. W231 / W296, Unique / 2400, etc. Then you can have a faster more suitable powder for the 38, 9mm, & Mak. and a slower more suitable powder for "open the throttle" on the 357's.
Old February 16, 2014, 01:36 PM   #13
MarkGlazer

Thank you all for your input. You've turned me in a different direction. I thought that efficiency with uniformity could breed acceptable results. Obviously this is not the case so I'll need to re-think powder strategy.

Regards to all.

PS - a more diverse manual purchase is in order it seems (but that's a different thread). I have Lee and Lymans, which is far too narrow.
Old February 16, 2014, 02:06 PM   #14
Idaho Spud

Alliant/Hercules Unique. No question. If one can't find a half-way to a decent load for almost any pistol/revolver with Unique one ain't looking too hard. And it meters just fine for me. Yes, even in 380 ACP. You're very welcome.

Now try to find some.
Old February 16, 2014, 02:31 PM   #15
Mike Irwin
Staff

I can't even tell you how much 231 I've burned over the years. It's a pretty hefty amount.

It's also my go-to powder for virtually all of my handgun loading.

One thing, though, is that in .357 Magnum, if you're looking for top-end loads, you can't get them with 231. It's too fast. You have to drop back to a slower powder, like 296.

For mid-range .357 Mag. loads, though, it's very good.

It's also an exceptional powder for 9mm and .38 Special both.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 16, 2014, 02:56 PM   #16
zxcvbob

Universal will work, but you'll be happier with Unique; it just works better. Especially in the magnums. Bullseye is another good one, but it'll top-out in the .357 before you get the velocity you probably want (and more-so in the Henry, but it'll outperform Titegroup)

Seriously consider at least 2 powders to cover the 4 calibers -- Bullseye + PowerPistol (my first choice), or 231* + AA#7, or Red Dot + Herco, or Unique + 2400, etc.

*or Titegroup
Old February 16, 2014, 03:23 PM   #17
SHR970

Mark,

Besides the manuals (which will drive you nuts due to differences), get PDF archive copies of a Hercules / Alliant powder guide from the early - mid 90's. Once ATK took control they reshot their data with only Speer GD / Unicore bullets and a small spread of powders. This way you'll have a more complete idea of what you can do. Also link to or get PDF's from the other major powder distributors like Hodgdons (Hodgdons, IMR, and Winchester powders) , Western Powders (Ramshot and Accurate powders), Vihtavouri, etc.

Then you will see what your possibilities are. When something fitting your needs comes available, you won't be stuck if your primary choice isn't available.

I have enjoyed being at the LGS and watching people in the line for powder / primers and seeing how many people are stuck on a particular powder and can't figure out what to do when it isn't available. My favorite was watching over a dozen people freak out because Unique wasn't available. There sat a bunch of Herco and they had no clue that just about anything you can do with Unique you can do with Herco.
Old February 17, 2014, 02:35 AM   #18
sig220mwxxxx

I load for 45 colt, 357 mag and 44 special and use imr 4227 for all three. I have also used win 296 for them. I use 250 grain bullets in the 45, 180 grain bullets in the 357 and 240 grain bullets in the 44 special. I tend to stick with one weight of bullet in each once I figure out which weight seems to satisfy me. There is always powder in the barrels but I get good results so I don't worry about it. Being able to use one powder for more than one caliber just makes good sense and also makes for fewer mistakes such as grabbing the wrong powder for a particular caliber.
Old February 18, 2014, 01:18 PM   #19
BigJimP

I've tried Unique / and I didn't like it at all in 9mm especially....

For me, hands down my one choice would be either Tite Group or Universal ....

....they are both very good / and give great results in all the calibers you are looking at. There is no need - to have more than one powder for the calibers you are looking at, in my opinion.

I've loaded thousands of rounds of 9mm and .357 mag with both TiteGroup and Universal...and the only reason I change is if one of them is not available / and right now that's been an issue. I load the same Montana Gold bullet, 158gr JSP, for all of my handguns and my Henry rifle in .357 mag ( the bullet has a cannelure ) so its a good revolver or rifle bullet. Bullets without a cannelure should not be used in magnum revolvers or rifles...where firing the weapon can act like a kinetic bullet puller causing the bullets to move a little in the cases .
Old February 18, 2014, 01:37 PM   #20
zxcvbob

How about keep using Titegroup if you like it, and also get a pound of HS-6 just to try it? (especially in the .357)
Old February 18, 2014, 08:07 PM   #21
Nick_C_S

HS-6

Quote:
get a pound of HS-6 just to try it (especially in the .357)
I agree. With a word of note:

HS-6 with 357 Mag does not like to be under-loaded - at all. I will burn real dirty until you load it up into its "sweet spot." And that sweet spot is usually well into the load data (always start low, and work up, of course). But once you load it up where it likes to be, it burns very clean.

It's also a very forgiving propellant. By that, I mean it has a linear pressure curve. It gives gradual "feedback" with signs of high pressure, well before it spikes.

Neat stuff.
Old February 18, 2014, 09:27 PM   #22
Rifletom

Gads, I must be old fashioned like some of you other loaders. Unique in my 1911 .45 and 38spl. Altho, I've been using Clays in the.45. Works mighty damn good!
Old February 19, 2014, 10:12 AM   #23
totaldla

If you're gonna spend some money when the supply returns, buy the best powders for the job.
Old February 19, 2014, 02:56 PM   #24
WESHOOT2

I currently have twenty varied 'handgun' powders (for the same reason I have more than one hammer ).

But Universal will work for the OP's stated goal. And it'll meter smoother than Unique.
Old February 20, 2014, 09:38 AM   #25
Rifleman1776

I am one who believes you can make this decision only by trying different powders/bullet combos until you find which performs the way you want. However, in these days of high (bery high) powder prices I don't blame you for asking for advice first. Unfortunately, you will probably still end up with partial cans of powders on your shelf you find unsuitable for your needs.
I like H110 as an 'almost' universal pistol powder. Unique is an old standby you can't go wrong with.