The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2007, 06:50 PM   #1
ShootingNut

Get The Brass Shiny

is what we all want after Tumbling.
Then, when you decap and size the casing (oversized due to use), they come out with "skid marks" all over the casing. Using the Lee Die and Classic Turret, you end up with a crappy look after priming. So, why do I fuss with what media and "goup" to get a nice casing.
In the end, I have to towel wipe and clean the finished product anyway, because I like it that way.
Am I doing something wrong?
Best
Old June 1, 2007, 07:58 PM   #2
mc223

I use Redding and Dillon dies. What is a "skid mark"? Shiny is good.
Old June 1, 2007, 07:58 PM   #3
brselman

Everyone has their own cocktail and ritual for cleaning their brass. And everyone will tell you that the way they do it is the only "correct" way. I, too, for no other reason than I like the way they look, do the following:

1- The brass is tumbled for 2 - 3 h with corn cob media supplemented with a little (a pinch, my grandmother would say) Nu Finish.

2- The cases are then sized and deprimed (sometime full length, sometimes neck sized) and trimmed, if necessary (I usually use an RCBS Trim Pro but sometimes use the Lee Case length gauges).

3- The cases are then put into a hand drill (Lee shell holder) where they are chamfered and deburred. I always chamfer, even if I do not trim.

4- Finally, they are lightly polished with fine steel wool (about 5 sec/case), and they always come out looking as if they have never been fired!
Old June 1, 2007, 08:43 PM   #4
CrustyFN

I haven't noticed any problems or skid marks with my Walmart Lee dies either.
Rusty
Old June 1, 2007, 10:16 PM   #5
mc223

I inventoried all my Lee stuff yesterday. Quite an impressive list.

1. Lee powder funnel.
Old June 1, 2007, 11:12 PM   #6
Smokey Joe

"Skid marks"

ShootingNut--Doing some theorizing here.
Quote:
they come out with "skid marks" all over the casing.
I'm puzzled by your term, "skid marks." Do you mean a whole series of parallel marks going down the case body? If so, it shows that yr case, or the inside of yr FL sizing die, is dirty. Cleaning the offender is the obvious solution.

BTW,what cartridge? Are we talking a tapered case, here, or a cylindrical case?

I don't think the brand of press has anything to do with the problem.

Could be that you aren't using quite enough case lube--Imperial Sizing Die Wax has been stated on these fora quite often to be the best; if you need to switch brands of case lube give that a try.

Aside from the above I'm just puzzled. Would the posting of a pic of this problem be possible?

--Smokey Joe
Old June 2, 2007, 05:15 AM   #7
ShootingNut

Smokey Joe

Using a Lee carbide die. Loading .40 SW for pistol. Decaped and primed 200 rounds last night, some after caping/sizing stayed shiny. Others had the residue coloration, with the verticle streak.
I checked before and after size with my caliper, and could see the reshaping of the casing diameter. I had my die shiny clean, so that wasn't the cause.
Again, it seems to me that it is caused by the "tighter fit" on some when run in and out of the die. I was told no lube needed with the carbide die, and usually not with a short pistol casing.
After 3 or 4 firings, the casings just get a little "bloat" even with only start loads. Hey, I even get the bloat as well these days!
Old June 2, 2007, 07:48 AM   #8
PzGren

I use several Lee carbide dies and do not have the problem that you describe.
I am puzzled by this, unless the die had some residue inside, I cannot imagine what would cause it, other than a scratch.

I know how folks bash WD40 but I spray it sometimes into my dies to clean them out. Particularly the bullet seating die after using lead bullets. That wax will otherwise smear cases up pretty bad.
Old June 2, 2007, 09:06 AM   #9
The Real Wyatt

I have and use Lee carbide dies for the following calibers:
.38 Special
.357 Magnum
.45 ACP
.45 Colt
.223 Remington
.303 British

I have other brand dies for other calibers.

I hae not experienced the phenomenon you describe after many, many thousands of reloads. I'd suggest your problem lies elswhere than the brand of dies in use.
Old June 2, 2007, 10:11 AM   #10
Smokey Joe

.40 S&w

ShootingNut--Using a straight-wall case and a carbide die, you are correct, no case lube is necessary. Some reloaders advise its use anyhow, and certainly it can't hurt.

Shiny clean dies are good. I still can't figure the source of your discoloration and vertical streaking on some--not all--of the cases.

--Smokey Joe