The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 30, 2000, 04:45 PM   #1
Spirex288

Okay, I just bought a 3/16" cobalt drill bit from Wally-Mart. How do I attack the dimples? Do I go from the outside and hit them in the middle?
Someone please enlighten me before I do some damage. Thanks!
Old May 30, 2000, 06:22 PM   #2
Strabs

Just drill at 'em straight on. You will then need to use a small convex file to debur the inside of the tube.
I had a friend that used a dremel and a lot of time so there would be less of a hole,...but the hole will get covered up by the barrel mount anyway!
Old May 30, 2000, 07:17 PM   #3
B Shipley

Buy smaller bits, then work up to the next larger. This goes for any tough material. You need a pilot hole, esp. if you don't have a drillpress, or the bit may walk across the tube and f--- up the finish. Oh, and take the barrel off first.
Old May 30, 2000, 08:21 PM   #4
Mike Baugh

I have always used a socket that fit semi snugly in the tube and sprayed it with oil and used a ratchet and extension to "ream" the dimples out , this way you can dimple them back in if need be . Good luck , Mike...
Old May 30, 2000, 11:56 PM   #5
Robe

I first drilled a small pilot hole and then kept increasing bit sizes till I got them removed the proper amount. There will be some burring on the inside. To take care of this, I used a cylinder hone on a drill. You can buy a small brake cylinder hone at any auto parts store that has two small stones on it. It will remove the burs and polish the inside of the tube at the same time.
Old May 31, 2000, 05:41 PM   #6
Spirex288

Thanks guys!!