The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 13, 2013, 06:56 PM   #76
Duzell

And that was with normal bipod and the Boyd's stock
I have yet to shoot with grip and muzzle break, I'm hopefull that I can tighten my group more with the new equipment

Last edited by Duzell; May 14, 2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old May 14, 2013, 08:21 PM   #77
Tempest 455

Quote:
Irons shoot low left, but I go 100-200 is a 1" group normal
At 300 it's 1.5-2" if i dont control breathing or I mess up and move
Sub MOA at 300. What ammo?
Old May 14, 2013, 09:06 PM   #78
Duzell

im laying on the ground when i make those shots , but typically
i use a variety of ammo , i noticed some differences

the lower grain 7.62x54r usually will do the best for accuracy at distance shooting as its lighter, i typically have to aim high right on irons to do a good group at center, but after shooting a bunch of mosins they normally are high shooters, i think i need a front sight adjuster but im not worried about it

i have a spotter whos got a range finder scope mounted on a tri pod that he brings when we do these type of shoots

mainly the ammo i use are

Brown bear 203 grn soft core for demonstrations with gel or water filled jugs and such (makes very nice explosion btw)
12$
winchester is another that comes in a 180 grn but ive been having issues with the primer metal exploding backward lately, im thinking they are not making the primer metal strong enough (yes gaped my pin its fine) a guy at big 5 that i shoot with was saying something to the same extent , i think i had every 3rd round primer blowback on me in a box of 20
15$

now mainly for distance id go and special order the match grade bullet
i usually use a 174 grn HPBT Sierra Match King for the long shots and if you want those tight groups id say it will cut the groups in half typically

another to try is the Prvi Partizan PPU 7.62x54R 182grn match grade ive heard some good news from it

but mainly your going to be looking at match ammo of a light grain, and its going to cost the same as a basic 30-06 ammo, so your still getting better ammo for same price when compared

i use a precision bipod on the front of my boyds stock, now that i have a grip bipod with steel legs im hoping that helps with those odd 2"s im getting

the surplus wont get much accuracy more than say a normal bullet thats not corrosive(but its easier to clean though....)

over the mosin has potential to be very accurate, its just time and work that must be put into it, im using bolt on parts with zero gunsmithing.

the one thing i noticed was when i swapped to the boyds stock and got the precision bipod i was doing nice tight groups, im hoping the archangels stock does better. when i get it i'll do a range shoot at 100 yrds with irons to get a feel, if its not worth it ill switch back to boyds and use the new stock on another mosin
Old May 14, 2013, 09:38 PM   #79
DennisCA

My Mosins'

1953 Polish M44:

1943 Laminate 91-30:

1943 91-30:

1942 Fin M39:
Old May 14, 2013, 09:47 PM   #80
Duzell

i like the finish one , looks structurally better made than the russian, and you can get those front rings off easier lol
Old May 15, 2013, 06:47 AM   #81
Tempest 455

[QUOTE]im laying on the ground when i make those shots , but typically
i use a variety of ammo , i noticed some differences

the lower grain 7.62x54r usually will do the best for accuracy at distance shooting as its lighter, i typically have to aim high right on irons to do a good group at center, but after shooting a bunch of mosins they normally are high shooters, i think i need a front sight adjuster but im not worried about it

i have a spotter whos got a range finder scope mounted on a tri pod that he brings when we do these type of shoots

mainly the ammo i use are

Brown bear 203 grn soft core for demonstrations with gel or water filled jugs and such (makes very nice explosion btw)
12$
winchester is another that comes in a 180 grn but ive been having issues with the primer metal exploding backward lately, im thinking they are not making the primer metal strong enough (yes gaped my pin its fine) a guy at big 5 that i shoot with was saying something to the same extent , i think i had every 3rd round primer blowback on me in a box of 20
15$

now mainly for distance id go and special order the match grade bullet
i usually use a 174 grn HPBT Sierra Match King for the long shots and if you want those tight groups id say it will cut the groups in half typically

another to try is the Prvi Partizan PPU 7.62x54R 182grn match grade ive heard some good news from it

but mainly your going to be looking at match ammo of a light grain, and its going to cost the same as a basic 30-06 ammo, so your still getting better ammo for same price when compared

i use a precision bipod on the front of my boyds stock, now that i have a grip bipod with steel legs im hoping that helps with those odd 2"s im getting

the surplus wont get much accuracy more than say a normal bullet thats not corrosive(but its easier to clean though....)

over the mosin has potential to be very accurate, its just time and work that must be put into it, im using bolt on parts with zero gunsmithing.

the one thing i noticed was when i swapped to the boyds stock and got the precision bipod i was doing nice tight groups, im hoping the archangels stock does better. when i get it i'll do a range shoot at 100 yrds with irons to get a feel, if its not worth it ill switch back to boyds and use the new stock on another mosin[
/QUOTE]

Well I'm amazed if it shoots that well w/ Brown Bear. Below I have a much modified Mosin, w/ numerous things I have done to make it accurate. Timney, pillar bedded, stock bedded, target crown etc. Best it can muster is just under sub MOA at 100 yards and just over 1 MOA at 400 yards. Mine does OK w/ the 147 g surplus but does better with 182g Russian match. Brown Bear has been the absolute most inaccurate ammo I have ever shot in my rifle. So every rifle is different. I'm also surprised a 175g SMK works well. Most like around .311.

Having fun at the 400 yard range!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uffJdspVmIw

BTW, nice Finn's above!

Old May 15, 2013, 10:59 AM   #82
Duzell

ya brown bear is worthless for long rang accuracy i just find it fun when i need to demo stuff (blowing things up or Peirce metal) as its inexpensive and functions well

the only time i can do well is with the match grade ammo 180-170, a buddy of mine is reloading his, im thinking of trying his out , hes using 303 caliber bullets in his, says hes getting good groups.

i know my mosin dosnt like some of the talu or tapco... T something brand from russia , i got it at a gun show and i was horrid with it, and it jammed a lot...

man i wish i could do 400 yards my local range only goes to 300 , the only time i can go farther is at my uncles ranch, but we need to measure and start marking things to do that kind of shooting. i think the only time ive hit 400 was at a tournament on my m1a and thats my most accurate rifle i have

oh and hot mosin, i like how its all shiny O_O and polished looking, what scope are you using?

Last edited by Duzell; May 17, 2013 at 09:37 AM.
Old June 2, 2013, 06:02 PM   #83
Duzell

how many people have posted mosins so far, ive lost count ?
Old June 2, 2013, 08:16 PM   #84
sharpenit

removed by user
NRA Member. Proud to own: Kahr CM9 -- Springfield XD 45 -- Ruger 10/22 Takedown -- 1925 Mosin Nagant 91/30 -- 1944 Mosin Nagant M44 -- Kel Tec Sub 2000 (9mm) -- Western Field EMN 176 bolt-action 20 gauge

Last edited by sharpenit; June 2, 2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old June 2, 2013, 09:19 PM   #85
rice paddy daddy

I just have two - a 1943 Izhevsk 91/30 and a 1948 Izhevsk M44.
Old June 3, 2013, 12:11 PM   #86
Duzell

nice
Old June 3, 2013, 12:37 PM   #87
rice paddy daddy

I was going to have a little fun and say that my 91/30 would shoot one inch groups at 600 yards using 1954 Bulgarian Light Ball, but I figured someone might think I was serious.
Old June 7, 2013, 05:02 PM   #88
Duzell

lol, mine shoots 300 at 1-2 using match rounds
Old June 7, 2013, 06:47 PM   #89
tahunua001

Quote:
lol, mine shoots 300 at 1-2 using match rounds
300 MOA at 1-2 yards with match ammo, sounds about right for a 91/30.
Old June 7, 2013, 10:54 PM   #90
Duzell

yep, i just need a scope now..... i have a RSI mount i need smithed on , then i need a scope , im hoping i can bring the mosin to higher ranges with the scope and with more accurate groups. currently im on irons, i tried a scout scope ncstar + brass stacker but i dont like the setup, i think id do better with a traditional scope system like my m1a has.

also waiting for my opfor stock from archangel, kinda irritated that newer orders are getting theirs when i was a march preorder , seems like the ones who placed large orders get them first then we who ordered small amount will get ours
Old June 12, 2013, 11:50 AM   #91
Duzell

archangel MOSIN NEWS

new color variations in the works , tan and green stocks are in the process of manufacturing, tan confirmed , green is in the protoype stage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wIfPv_JL2M
Old June 12, 2013, 10:38 PM   #92
Miami_JBT

From left to right

Remington 1917 M91 Finnish Civil Guard Issue
Izhevsk 1939 M91/30 Finnish Army Caputre and Rebuild
Izhevsk 1943 M91/30 Soviet Issue
Izhevsk 1934 M91/30 Soviet Issue Ex-Dragoon
VKT 1941 M39 Finnish Issue
Polish 1953 M44 Carbine
Izhevsk 1944 M38 Carbine Soviet Issue
Old June 13, 2013, 04:52 PM   #93
Duzell

nice
Old June 14, 2013, 06:42 AM   #94
A pause for the COZ

Ok maybe I will set up a nice photo today and post it.
I have 3 of them.
A 91/30 round action.
A M44 Carbine and
A Chinese copy of a M44

I like the Carbines the best. A M38 is on my get list.
Old June 14, 2013, 02:02 PM   #95
Duzell

would love to see them !
Old June 14, 2013, 09:24 PM   #96
Chowder

Just bought this one today, shooting it tomorrow

Old June 15, 2013, 10:42 PM   #97
Duzell

-oh nice, post the grouping! and dont forget to clean the cosmo out of it ;D and enjoy

-worked on my mosins boyds stock, got a rock solid bent bolt and inleted stock for the new bolt ,was easy to work with

Old June 21, 2013, 10:01 PM   #98
Duzell

well finally got a normal scope on mine so i can go to 300 up yards and see what im hitting lol

im also getting lower rings as the it no longer fits in case with these tall rings that came with the scope

enjoy

Old June 22, 2013, 10:19 AM   #99
Duzell

well hope more mosins come our way, maybe we should do a mosin contest or something...., sporter and origional, so two contests?
Old June 24, 2013, 05:34 PM   #100
Duzell

mosin photo contest?

any ideas on a mosin photo contests?

also i can make pictures into banners is anyone wanted one done of their mosin

i also wanted to ask, does anyone's mosin like a specific brand better than others?

Last edited by Duzell; June 24, 2013 at 06:12 PM. Reason: misspelled word

Tags
7.62x54r , cheap rifle , mosin , mosin nagant , russian