The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 29, 2012, 07:29 PM   #1
JRoss214

Horndady 8th or 9th edition?

Hello all. I'm new to the forum and I'm just getting into reloading. I found the Hornady 8th edition manual for $22 on sale and I also discovered that the 9th edition of the manual is due to come out 1 Dec. My question for you veteran loaders out there, it's a dumb one IMHO, is should I go ahead and buy the 8th edition or hold off and get the newest one? I've got the Lyman's 49th edition and I'm thinking about ordering the Sierra manual also. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
JR
Old October 29, 2012, 07:42 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

I would wait for the 9th edition to come out. It will have all the latest up dates and new info on new calibers.
Old October 29, 2012, 07:42 PM   #3
dacaur

I have the 8th, and plan to get the 9th IF it has .17 hornet data in it.... otherwise, whats the point?

The only real difference will be the new edition will have all the new bullets and calibers out since the 8th was printed....

If you plan to shoot a "new" caliber (new since 2009-2010) like 300blk or 17 hornet, wait for the new one, if you dont think you will be shooting a "new" caliber, get the old one.
Old October 29, 2012, 10:46 PM   #4
mrawesome22

If you have the Lyman, and know what you are doing, you don't need paper anymore.

All competent powder and bullet manufacturers have online data freely available.
Old October 29, 2012, 11:05 PM   #5
dacaur

Thats true, but personally, I like to have the book to refer too. My computer is across the room from my loading bench, and I always double check my loads before I start, even when I have them written down, because you never know.....
Old October 30, 2012, 01:13 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Wait for the 9th edition. The 8th was a bit of a disappointment, has a few rather nasty errors in it (among other minor errors), and lacks a lot of data on their new bullets and Hodgdon's new powders (just a few of the reasons they're issuing a new manual only a year after the 8th was released ).

If the "beta testers" determine that the 9th is a let down, as well... you'll probably be able to find an even better deal on the 8th edition. If you chose to go with the 8th edition, you could manually correct the errors via the errata on the Hornady website, augment the data with Hodgdon's (for the new powders), and, if you want it, grab the LeveRevolution data from the Hornady website before they take it down (since it should all be in the 9th ed.).

Skip the Sierra manual (unless you use a lot of their bullets). Instead, send them an email complaining about how out of date it is, and that the X-Ring (their newsletter) is no longer providing load data updates. Follow up with the same complaint in a phone call.
The Sierra manual is a dinosaur.
Old October 30, 2012, 02:06 AM   #7
JRoss214

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll definitely wait for the 9th edition due to the errors that I've been reading about and skip the Sierra since I was only thinking about using their .30 caliber bullets. However, I do agree having data on paper for additional reference is a good idea. Thanks again everyone and I'm sure I'll have more questions as I start!
Old October 30, 2012, 07:10 AM   #8
PA-Joe

Which ever one you buy go to their webpage and download the errata sheets. They come out about the same time the books get sent out.
Old October 30, 2012, 09:26 AM   #9
rebs

I was on Hornady's web site and couldn't find any reloading data for their bullets. Did I miss it ?
Old October 30, 2012, 09:42 AM   #10
rg1

Hornady typically doesn't have load data on their web site however sometimes when they introduce new bullets they will post data for them. An example is for their new FTX bullets and you can do a search for FTX load data on-line. As far as Hornady manuals, wait for the 9th edition coming out in December.
Old October 30, 2012, 10:54 AM   #11
rclark

Quote:
has a few rather nasty errors in it (among other minor errors),
Example? Calibers?

BTW, I liked the book and yes, I would rather have a shelf full of BOOKS than rely on any on-line info even from manufacturer. I didn't say wouldn't look at the on-line data as a 'reference', but always backup 'suspect' on-line data with hard copy... if possible.
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 30, 2012, 01:12 PM   #12
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Example? Calibers?
The full list can be found on the Hornady website:
Hornady 7th and 8th Edition Errata
Old October 30, 2012, 01:56 PM   #13
rclark

Thanks! Perused and nothing there that impacts what I load. Again Thanks!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old October 30, 2012, 09:00 PM   #14
Marco Califo

Quote:
All competent powder and bullet manufacturers have online data freely available.
Not true for Hornady and Sierra. Not coincidentally, they sell reloading manuals to use with their bullets. I happen to like the Sierra coverage for the cartridges I reload, and found those free at http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/223rem/
Old October 30, 2012, 09:17 PM   #15
mrawesome22

Hodgdon and Hornady work closely with each other.

http://data.hodgdon.com is where you will find all the data for hornady bullets.

Lots of info there for Sierra bullets as well.

And it doesn't have to be the exact bullet. As long as it is of the same weight and construction type, the data is interchangable.
Old October 30, 2012, 10:58 PM   #16
dacaur

Another reason I like to have a book.... My internet was down the other day, and I passed the time reloading.....

Thanks for that link to the errata, I will make a note of it....