The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 19, 2011, 12:03 AM   #1
9ballbilly

12ga. #4 Buckshot for home defense

I keep slugs, #1 buckshot,and 00 buckshot on hand for home/camp defense in my Rem. 870. I'm wondering how you guys feel about #4 buck stacking up against the others I mentioned for this purpose.

Many years ago I kept a 12ga. side-by-side coach gun loaded with magnum #4 buck for HD. If memory serves it patterned very well at ten yards,which is why I stayed with the #4 the entire time . I'd also like your thoughts on the mixed loads such as BBx2 for HD.

Thanks and best wishes, Bill
Old November 19, 2011, 12:26 AM   #2
nate45

Personally I only load my shotguns with either Slugs, #1, or 00 Buck for HD. #1 patterns very nice out of my HD shotgun. I used to use #4 Buck, it doesn't test too badly, it should work. I think its a little light though.

I'm adamantly against bird shot for HD. It just doesn't penetrate well enough.
Old November 19, 2011, 12:30 AM   #3
Buzzcook

Sure, no reason not to.
I use goose shot. Mostly because I still have a lot of it.

Well I don't "use" it. I intend to use it if the occasion arises. Umm not arises like a goose mind you..not in the literal sense. Metaphorically "arising", if you get my meaning.
But if a goose did break in I'd sure be prepared.
Old November 19, 2011, 12:54 AM   #4
briandg

a square hit with a goose or turkey load will have the impact of a very hard punch in the stomach. that's not a 9 mm round, there is a great deal of genuine "knockdown power." a punch like that will, without a doubt, stagger and tamporarily disable an assailant. That load of shot, spread out to a few inches, will put a lot of small wounds in the area ofa person's vitals with a chest hit. Using tungsten rounds will enhance the penetration.

In my home, given the choice, I'd use heavy turkey rounds with tungsten shot over large buckshot rounds. Once you go past 20feet or so, that strategy is out.
Old November 19, 2011, 12:56 AM   #5
FrankenMauser

I keep #4 buck in my 12 ga.

00 buck offers nothing I need in a Home Defense scenario.
Bird shot would be pretty effective in my home, but I still don't want to use it (you can't get a shot longer than 12 feet in this house, but bird shot still isn't ideal).

#4 patterns well; penetrates well; has significantly more pellets than 00, 0, and #1; and... it's easier to find in a 2 3/4" load, than many other options.

(I don't like the idea of using 3" or 3.5" mags for SD/HD. ...and my shotgun only has a 2 3/4" chamber, anyway. )
Old November 19, 2011, 01:04 AM   #6
Mr. James

I second FrankenMauser

I've been partial to 00 buck in the past. But a dear friend swears by #4 buckshot. Having recently (last Saturday) patterned the #4 load, I'm quite convinced that it would pretty much ruin any intruder's day, and I have adopted it as my HD load. I know some folks who load #4 with some slugs as follow up rounds. At home defense ranges, the #4 should be more than sufficient unto your needs. In my little humble hovel, frankly, any 12 gauge round is going to do the job, but I have really taken to the #4 load.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old November 19, 2011, 06:44 AM   #7
mes228

I've seen 2 deer killed with #4 Buck and a bolt of lightning or a howitzer would not have killed them quicker. Both tried to leap across a fire road running at full speed. Maybe 2-3 seconds apart. My friend was shooting a Browing A-5 12 ga. with #4 Buck. Both deer died mid-leap and kicked maybe once when they crashed into the ground. Amazing thing to see. I knew that if I was doing the shooting, with the rifle I was carrying, I would have missed them both.
Old November 19, 2011, 09:33 AM   #8
Bailey Boat

I'll have to ditto the #4 buck, it patterns very well from my 870's short barrel and I love the copper plated load.
Old November 19, 2011, 01:00 PM   #9
Carne Frio

I prefer 00 buck, but #4 buck would sure ruin some prowler's day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDjNaTeUt2Y

And that video is only 20g.
Old November 19, 2011, 02:51 PM   #10
secret_agent_man

Quote:
#4 buck would sure ruin some prowler's day
#4 squirrel shot will sho'nuff ruin some prowler's evening.
Old November 19, 2011, 04:28 PM   #11
jonnyc

I did a lot of searching and reading and decided on #4 for my 12 ga. The last round in my mag is 00, just in case.
Old November 19, 2011, 05:01 PM   #12
kgpcr

I too have shot deer with buckshot and it is devastating at HD ranges. One in the chest with my 12ga and it game over.
Smith M&P 40
Old November 19, 2011, 06:58 PM   #13
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

One of the 870s kept ready here is stoked with 4 buck. Someone gave me a mess of it.

Patterning showed good patterns with a skeet choke. Probable use is at less than 5 yards.

The others here are loaded with 00, but their mission is a little different due to location and altitude.
Old November 19, 2011, 09:00 PM   #14
C0untZer0

Firearms Tactical Institute report recomends #1 Buck

Quote:
For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the International Wound Ballistics Association advocates number 1 buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes.
Quote:
Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances.
Quote:
A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma. In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

Old November 20, 2011, 05:42 PM   #15
hardworker

All of the old timer deer hunters I know use No. 4 on deer and have been plenty successful. If it kills a deer I think a person doesn't have a chance.
Old November 22, 2011, 12:05 PM   #16
federali

Secret Service Load

When I was with Treasury, the Secret Service had standardized 12 gauge, #4 buck as their buckshot load. They didn't do this by first reading an article in Guns and Ammo. They studied and tested available or popular buckshot loads before deciding. First, you're launching 27 .22 caliber pellets. For them, it could happen in a building or on the street. For us, we should be concerned with home defense. A .22 cal. pellet is not as likely to overpenetrate the house and perhaps an adjoining residence as OO buck, each pellet being .33 caliber. A stray .22 caliber pellet is more survivable than a stray 33 caliber pellet.

Within the confined spaces of our homes, does anyone really think an intruder will know the difference between #4 buck, #4 shot, O or OO buck? Either way you go, the recipient is going to have a bad day--a very bad day
Old November 22, 2011, 12:38 PM   #17
kenny g

question for you guys ??

my 870 wingmaster came with a 28" modified vent rib barrel [ 30 + years ago ] and I know it was OK to run a few slugs thru it. 15 to 20 years ago I traded that barrel [ and $50 ] for a 30" full choke for still board / turkey shoots and trap..
anyway , is it OK to shoot #4 or '00' through that full choke ?
Old November 22, 2011, 01:11 PM   #18
munson1

Buckshot

I use 00 Buck, but #4 Buck is fine. Go with what you feel.

Ken
Old November 22, 2011, 02:24 PM   #19
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Kenny, that barrel and choke should be fine with either flavor of buck. Pattern to establish the best load for your use environment.
Old November 22, 2011, 04:23 PM   #20
redstategunnut

I respectfully disagree about combining a full choke with buckshot.

A full choke will tend to cause the pellets to collide with one another, resulting in deformation of the pellets. Deformed pellets do not fly "true" so one is inducing flyers. At point blank distance, this might not be an issue, but it must be accounted for past point blank distance. Flyers with buckshot is a bad plan.

Buckshot should be patterned and shot through a choke no tighter than improved cylinder to avoid pellet deformation and the resulting flyers.
Old November 22, 2011, 04:50 PM   #21
Shotgun693

I've used #4 in shootings. At close range it's pretty good. I did dust a guy at about 50 yards. One pellet hit him in the forehead and slid up under his scalp, a second hit him in the wrist and skidded along the bone winding up in his elbow. The rest hit him in the chest. It was really cold and he was wearing a real heavy leather coat. Each pellet that hit his chest made a pimple on the coat and bounced off. I don't carry smaller than #1 at work or for home defense. I do live in the country so don't worry much about over penetration.
Old November 22, 2011, 05:21 PM   #22
TheKlawMan

Packr, If I don't aim a shotgun at a non threatening clay target some 35+ yards out, why would I want to take the time to aim at a threat some 5 yards across a room. I am assuming that the threat has already been positively identified and needs to be put down ASAP.
Old November 22, 2011, 06:40 PM   #23
TheKlawMan

Quote:
you have several seconds, as vs 1/2 second in which to hit, and your pattern is 5-6 ft wide. At 5 yds, it's 5" wide, that's why.
Try about a second from calling for a target and properly choked patterns are half of your 5-6 ft wide. That the target is trying to kill you is all the more reason not to take time to aim. As for the number of #7.5 pellets, I suggest it is not much of a factor. unless you have holes in your pattern.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; November 22, 2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old November 22, 2011, 06:57 PM   #24
243winxb

#4 Buck

#4 buck is what i use. Not all factory loads are created equal. The ammo with the plastic buffer will pattern much tigher. Maximum knock down range is 50 yards with my Mossberg 20" full choke tube barrel.
Old November 22, 2011, 10:03 PM   #25
badge851

There are a lot of variables in using a shotgun for home defense. I will state what my wife and I do, THAT WORKS FOR US; (which may or may not work for you). I am 61 and my wife is 62, in our situation the 12ga is just too much gun. Specifically, I had a rotator cuff repair and a total shoulder arthroplasty (replacement) of my shooting (left) shoulder in 09/2008. Bottom line is that my days of shooting a 12ga are gone forever. As for my wife, she shoots several 20ga guns well; but that is her limit of endurance. Many folks, so called experts, state that shooting anything less than a 12ga w/00 or 000 Buck; handicaps the shooter. (To which I politely state "HORSE MANURE"!) I have shot far too many deer w/small (2, 3, & 4 buck) to not be impressed with it's knock down power.

My life's experience has taught me that bird shot is for birds, buckshot is for bad guys. The longest possible shot in my home is 31 feet. I'm loading buckshot in my home defense shotguns, and not slugs.

We (the wife & I), use three shotguns for defense of ourselves within our residence...............
• Remington® SPR220 (Biakal® IZH-43) 20ga SxS loaded with Remington® 2¾"20 pellets of #3 Buckshot (#SP 20-3BK)
• Mossberg®500 20ga Pump loaded with Federal® Power-Shok® 3" 18 pellets of #2 Buckshot (#F207 2B)
• Ithaca® 16ga SxS loaded with Federal® Power-Shok® 2¾" 12 pellets of #1 Buckshot (F164 1B)

Federal® has a new 20ga load, #PD256; that has 24 pellets of #4 buck that I haven't tried but hope to as soon as it becomes available.

I'm sure a 12ga 2¾" 27 pellet load w/#4 Buckshot the OP asked about will do fine. (When I was a WA State Correction Officer in the 1990's it's the load we used and it performed superbly.)
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Last edited by badge851; November 24, 2011 at 10:53 PM.