The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 8, 2013, 08:20 AM   #51
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
The potential downside is that statements by the NRA, etc. will simply bring attention to the matter.
It is already in the national news. They need to get in front of it before it gets pinned on them. Denial after the fact is not nearly as effective as "I told you so".
Quote:
Minority groups have won concessions in the US from the beginning with armed movements though.
Although the marches through the south were not "armed" marches, there were armed people involved. Deacons for Defense and Justice being the best known
Providing armed security for a peaceful march where more than a few of the leaders had been killed, assaulted and threatened is another thing entirely. That is actually a pretty smart thing to do.
Quote:
There are armed marches on state capitols fairly regularly and they pass without incident. I have been to several in my state capitol. Ohio's CHL law was passed as a direct effect of continuous openly armed citizen presence on Capitol Square in Columbus.
Those were legal.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:30 AM   #52
Dashunde

So far there are 3 pages of "really bad idea" coming from us, a forum full of firearms enthusiasts and 2A supporters in one of the leading websites on the subject.

I really hope someone points this thread out to the spotlight seeking radio guy who will undoubtedly end up a lightening rod for the anti-gun folks.

His sort of proposed law breaking antics should be saved for the day if ever 2A is gutted or amended and the Fed's start trying to confiscate our weapons.

Is it possible that this march could make everyone involved a felon?
Of course, resulting in all loosing their weapons and the right to buy more...
Its counter productive to say the least.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:36 AM   #53
SPEMack618

Not only were the civil rights marches legal, they occurred in a time where a black man could resonably be expected to be assualted as he attempted to excerise his rights.

Oleg has a really intense poster about the subject.

The anti-gunner aren't going to assualt Mr. Kokesh as he tries to do what he is doing, and Washington Metro is going to enforce an exsisting law if he does it.

Just bad news all around.

Last edited by Evan Thomas; May 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: ad hominem attack.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:56 AM   #54
Evan Thomas

I've edited or deleted some posts. We don't do personal attacks, name-calling, etc., here. This is what the other side does, so let's not sink to their level. Consider this a warning.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:36 AM   #55
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
What principles do your local elected officials hold? Start there, if they do not match your principles then vote them out.
Unfortunately there are people who, Though they may oppose new gun laws, will vote for someone who opposes their view on the topic as a trade off to what they feel is more important.

This is where we come into play.

If there is anyone out there , reading these post, if you are making an effort to change minds and engaging the anti-gunners thanks and keep it up because i am seeing progress and you will too if you haven't yet.

If you are not, don't just hang among the like minded, go change minds!
Old May 8, 2013, 11:55 AM   #56
4V50 Gary
Staff

All it takes is for one negligent discharge for history to be made and it won't be good reading.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:08 PM   #57
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I really hope someone points this thread out to the spotlight seeking radio guy who will undoubtedly end up a lightening rod for the anti-gun folks.
Even if he did see it, Kokesh won't care. He's a TRUE BELIEVER, and we're just a bunch of sellouts and cowards in his world. Guys like this are most dangerous because they won't listen to reason, and they don't care what consequences they inflict on others.

The more I read about this guy, the more I'm reminded of Leonard Embody.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:08 PM   #58
Baba Louie

I'd suggest a few practice runs at various State Capitols en route first. See if any "steam" can be gathered along the way while practicing good group control, leadership, security, permits, media interaction, keynote speakers, a raison d'etre with a desired reult... that sorta thing.

But DC in July? Not for me. Way too humid.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old May 8, 2013, 12:47 PM   #59
thallub

Quote:
The more I read about this guy, the more I'm reminded of Leonard Embody.

IMO: Adam Kokesh is a much larger threat to our cause than Embody ever was. Leonard Embody tried to stir up folks on pro-gun websites. He was quickly banned from most sites. Embody carried an orange painted Draco in a public park. So far as i know Embody was the only one directly impacted by this action.

Adam Kokesh apparently had a rather large radio audience. If Kokesh decides to pack openly in DC he will have a following. Nothing good will come of it.

Last edited by thallub; May 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old May 8, 2013, 01:19 PM   #60
Alabama Shooter

Anyone else notice we are coming up on the 199th anniversary of the last battle in DC?
Old May 8, 2013, 01:40 PM   #61
L_Killkenny

I fear that this issue isn't as black and white as we make it appear. Much of it stems from our respect for law and order and doing things the right way. I'm all on board with that. But at what point does that change? Let's face it, our founders broke the law and some may argue they had less reason in their time then we do in our time. They would of been hung if not successful. Yet we celebrate them with good reason. One person marching down to the White House is a bad idea doomed to failure. Same with 100, a 1000, maybe even 10,000. And the things that could possibly go wrong are so many as to be frighting. Bad option.

But the darker side of me realizes that there is so much wrong with our current system, namely the lack of respect and adherence for the constitution from all three branches of our government let alone a majority of the population, that thinkin the system will protect our rights would be foolhardy. 2nd amendment supporters and conservatives in general have zero hope of getting the constitution back. It's not that I feel all that the unconstitutional things our government has done since our inception are bad or unnecessary, I just believe the precedent is set to ignore the constitution and the amendment process and the fixes needed to keep it from happening will not occur in our lifetimes nor our children's lifetimes. Can you imagine how far out in left field thing will be by then?

We are, as always, caught in the middle of the worse of 2 evils. Doing something is bad, doing nothing is bad, doing things down the middle proves fruitless. Third party has an appeal but the leading people that may know what needs done have no real world idea how to accomplish it. You can't fix 200 years in-adherence with one swipe of the pen like some recent canadents and their parties think. It would be anarchy and erase some necessary things in the process. Not to mention how corrupt the new officials would be in short order. And good luck trying to win voters getting something for nothing.

Like I said, not black and white. I don't have answers just questions.

Last edited by L_Killkenny; May 8, 2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old May 8, 2013, 02:40 PM   #62
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
But the darker side of me realizes that there is so much wrong with our current system, namely the lack of respect and adherence for the constitution from all three branches of our government let alone a majority of the population, that thinking the system will protect our rights would be foolhardy.
People say that every generation from the time the Constitution was written. At least the people whose rights are being violated at the time.
Old May 8, 2013, 03:36 PM   #63
L_Killkenny

Quote:
People say that every generation from the time the Constitution was written. At least the people whose rights are being violated at the time.
And how often are they wrong?
Old May 8, 2013, 04:13 PM   #64
Skans

NRA membership is soaring. Gun ownership is soaring. The percentage of women who owns guns is soaring. Guns are the "new cool". People who knew nothing about guns a couple years ago are now considering buying a gun. Things are moving in our direction and away from the nanny-state antis.

WHY, would we want to screw up a good thing by marching down public streets in large numbers with loaded rifles?
Old May 8, 2013, 04:30 PM   #65
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
WHY, would we want to screw up a good thing by marching down public streets in large numbers with loaded rifles?
Some folks just aren't happy unless they feel like an oppressed minority.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:36 PM   #66
SPEMack618

What boggles me is the sheer bravado of this guy. He presumes he speaks for the entire veteran/libertarian/gun owner demographic.

Heck, I sent him a message via social media asking why in the world he thought this was a good idea. All I got in response was a message saying he was now following me.

The man is by no means what I would call resonable.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:40 PM   #67
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
And how often are they wrong?
Rarely. How often do they make an armed march on the capitol?
Old May 8, 2013, 11:06 PM   #68
Dashunde

Its late, I'm tired, but it just dawned on me that if this fool goes ahead with his stunt and creates history by setting the stage where some lose their lives and we lose any of our 2A rights as a result, I doubt there will be a safe place for him anywhere within our borders. The Feds may end up being the least of his worries.
Maybe someone should tell him... I dont have facebook, so...
Old May 8, 2013, 11:36 PM   #69
TXAZ

I just read a couple of articles about Mr. K , wow:
1) I can't imagine hiring this guy or wanting to be associated
2) One side will either blink or start a very unfortunate incident
3) If his history is any indicator, this will go over the brink
4) Lets hope cooler heads prevail on all sides!

Cave illos in guns et backhoes

Last edited by TXAZ; May 9, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old May 21, 2013, 10:42 AM   #70
SFsc616171

re: July 4th march in D.C.

Mr. Kokesh, was arrested last week at another demonstration, with the concurrent photos and videos of 'somebody stuffing something in his pocket'.

If that stalls that march a bit, it might be a good thing.

Mr. Kokesh is the leader of the Iraq Veterans Against the War, if you have not yet heard. Another fine outstanding person, NOT!
Old May 21, 2013, 10:57 AM   #71
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Iraq Veterans Against the War (IVAW) neither endorses nor is affiliated with Adam Kokesh's 'Open Carry March on Washington' planned for July 4th. This event is in direct conflict with our Resolution That IVAW Only Use, Supports or Endorses Non-Violent and Peaceful Actions adopted August 8, 2009 and section C of our Code of Conduct which includes prohibited behavior of members as: "Conduct or threats endangering the life, safety, and/or health of others."

Even these guys want nothing to do with it.

http://www.ivaw.org/blog/ivaw-not-en...rch-washington
Old May 21, 2013, 11:30 AM   #72
arch308

A march on DC could be a good idea, especially if the numbers are there.
An armed march is a really bad idea that can accomplish nothing positive. But it will sure get Kokesh in the spotlight and I think that is probably what he is after.
Old May 21, 2013, 01:21 PM   #73
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
But it will sure get Kokesh in the spotlight and I think that is probably what he is after.
That's all he's after, and he doesn't care if he creates problems for all of us in the process.
Old May 21, 2013, 01:26 PM   #74
KINGoFOOLS

He was arrested for no apparent reason and being charged for "resisting and assaulting a federal officer".

You decide

Sound clears up at :25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NTHBC6JOc4M
Old May 21, 2013, 01:45 PM   #75
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGoFOOLS
He was arrested for no apparent reason and being charged for "resisting and assaulting a federal officer".

You decide...
Whether or not there was a good reason for his arrest really can't be decided from the video. There might well have been a reason to arrest him.

And from the video it does appear that he was resisting federal officers and might have done something that would constitute an assault on a federal officer.

So I've decided that it's most likely that Kokesh was being his usual jerk self.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper