The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 15, 2010, 09:51 PM   #1
fsfty

Problem at the Range

I went to the range with my Benelli Supernova pump and shot off about 60 rounds. I haven't shot the gun in a while, but really enjoyed it. Anyway, I had an instance where one of the shells chambered, but i pulled the trigger and....nothing. I pumped again, ejecting the shell, and chambering another, and all was fine thereafter. My bro was there with his Benelli Nova and he had the same thing happen to him once as well.

Was I not deliberate enough in when i pumped the shell into the chamber? Any ideas? Thanks.
Old October 15, 2010, 10:10 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sounds like a dud shell. If you still have it, try it again.

Or contact the maker. I had a Nitro recently that had collapsed slightly and could not be chambered. I called Remington, and after I sent the shell in the prepaid mailer they sent me, they sent a check for $10.
Old October 15, 2010, 10:47 PM   #3
fsfty

thanks for the reply...i actually loaded it again, and the second time it fired...how about short stroking?
Old October 15, 2010, 10:59 PM   #4
zippy13

You said "i pulled the trigger and… nothing." Had the shell been a dud, you would have heard the click as the hammer fell. Since you got "nothing," it sounds like you didn't stroke enough to set the hammer.
Old October 16, 2010, 03:49 PM   #5
Sphawley

^ +1 on zippy, seen it happen a few times at the gun club ...
Old October 16, 2010, 04:23 PM   #6
zippy13

fsfty,

I forgot to mention, should this ever happen to you again, next time don't forget to look at the "dud" -- if the primer is dented, then the shell is the problem. If the primer isn't marked, then it's a gun or shooter problem.
Old October 16, 2010, 08:25 PM   #7
fsfty

Thanks for your help...i really believe i must have short stroked it based on the fact that the hammer never clicked. Much appreciated..