The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 5, 2013, 03:26 AM   #1
warningshot

Supply of Milsurp Rifles and Ammunition.

What would happen to Mosin Nagant rifles if their importation is cut-off along with the supply of 7.62x54R ammunition?
Old January 5, 2013, 05:56 AM   #2
Sport45

They'd get more expensive?

Otherwise, I don't think the ones already here would change any.
Old January 5, 2013, 10:41 AM   #3
lordhedgwich

watch in 5 years they will be worth like 400 bucks wouldnt that be funny
Old January 5, 2013, 10:45 AM   #4
chiefr

This stuff is common and inexpensive. Good luck finding any of the shorter (x39 AK ammo) for less than $1 per round.
Old January 5, 2013, 04:59 PM   #5
Punisher_1

Can't find decent priced ammo now let alone the future. Don't you think they will try and cut off importing weapons and ammo. They already stopped those Korean Garands from being imported.
Old January 5, 2013, 08:22 PM   #6
kraigwy

Who knows, if they run out of the cheap Mosin ammo people might have to start reloading their own, and find out their guns can really shoot.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 5, 2013, 08:27 PM   #7
lordhedgwich

all i shoot out of my mosin is surplus i feel it shoot fairly accurate
Old January 6, 2013, 04:02 AM   #8
stickhauler

They're allowing the South Korean Garands back in, they banned the M-1 Carbines from being re-imported, claiming that drug gangs would arm themselves with them. You can still get Garands out of the CMP for as good, if not better than what you could buy one brought back in by the importers.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:37 AM   #9
BlueTrain

There is American made 7.62x54R ammunition available, if you don't mind buying an American product. It is reloadable, but not cheap. It seems like only 20 years ago just about the only 7.62x54R available was Norma and it was not cheap either. In fact, it was very expensive. However, I don't remember seeing any Mosin-Nagants around at the time. Wonder how many are left?
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:02 AM   #10
deerslayer303

All I know, is when my father purchased my No4 Mk1 Enfield from Roses dept store in 1992 for me, it was 79 bucks! Try buying one for that now. So I think eventually the Nagant supply will dry up thus driving the price up. 303 surplus ammo was everywhere then and cheap, now thats all gone too. But with that said, I do think there is a ton more nagants than ever were enfields. So buy em while you can folks.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:25 AM   #11
jimbob86

Quote:
watch in 5 years they will be worth like 400 bucks wouldnt that be funny
The ChiCom SKS's that were $79 in the 90's are now $400-500 ..... and we are borrowing/printing dollars much faster now than we were then or since..... a $99 Mosin will be worth much more than $400 in 5 years, I'll bet.

7.62x54r Milsup is cheap beacause it was paid for by the sweat and deprivation of various peoples under Communist rule for half a century+ .... and then when it was no longer needed, scooped up for next to nothing by politically connected "entrepenuers" for "kopecks on the ruble" and sold for Dollars and Duetschmarks and converted to Gold. They are not making it in the state plants anymore, as those plants are either mouldering away or in private hands and cranking out more modern chamberings. Milsurp "Mosinka" fodder will dry up, though if there's a market for inexpensive 7.62x54r, that wil be filled- PPU is out there, at $17/box of 20 .... not cheap but is reloadable, not corrosive and not FMJ.

Could be that in 5 years, ANY functional rifle and a supply of ammo could be.... priceless.
Old January 7, 2013, 09:25 AM   #12
kraigwy

Quote:
There is American made 7.62x54R ammunition available,
When I first bought my Mosin I couldn't find any brass, and I refuse to shoot that cheap surplus stuff in any of my guns.

I found some Winchester loaded stuff for $18 a box. I bought 10 boxes, shot and reloaded it. I don't reload hot, plus for offhand shooting (which is my weak point and where I need most of my practice) I load mild cast bullet loads. I still have most of that brass.

I shoot my surplus rifles in and practicing for CMP Vintage Rifle games.

I bet over the life of my gun (or my ownership of it) and the original cost of the loaded rounds, I have shot it cheaper then it would have cost me to shoot surplus ammo.

Another plus for reloaded ammo, is I don't have any steel bullets. Our club banned steel bullets on our range during the summer when we have fire bans. It does spark, and does create a fire hazard.

But to each his own. They present ammo drought hasn't affected my Mosin shooting one bit. Plus I create better, more accurate ammo.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 7, 2013, 09:30 AM   #13
jimbob86

Quote:
Another plus for reloaded ammo, is I don't have any steel bullets. Our club banned steel bullets on our range during the summer when we have fire bans. It does spark, and does create a fire hazard.
Not to mention that it can't be good for the bore .....
Old January 7, 2013, 10:14 AM   #14
BlueTrain

You know, World War II was fought using the same cheap surplus ammo we all think is now inferior.

Actually, it isn't that simple, of course. At the time, it was new and that makes a big difference. Ammunition keeps fairly well but the older stuff with corrosive primers seems to turn green (around the primer) eventually, even inside a tin can. Most of the standard cartridges used in WWII, including .303, .30-06, 8mm Mauser (7.92mm) and 7.62x54R remained in use for another fifteen years, even longer in some places and of course, the latter is still a standard cartridge in lots of places. Some others, such as 6.5x55, were also used for another 20 years but I doubt if the Japanese cartridges were used anywhere (by an army, that is) after the war.

I once saw a fire started at an indoor range but I have no idea what caused it. It was on the floor at the back of the range.
Buy War Bonds.