The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 26, 2011, 10:39 AM   #1
praetorian97

Primer Storing

Is it bad to load primers into prepped cases and store it that way until you are ready to charge the case?
Old May 26, 2011, 10:45 AM   #2
hogcowboy

Not a problem at all as long as you handle the cases as if they are loaded. At least that's my opinion. I know the packaging says to keep them in there original container but you are talking real world. You don't plan on 'storing' for years anyway are you?

American Legion Rider

Last edited by hogcowboy; May 26, 2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:10 AM   #3
overkill0084

I can't see it being a problem. The usual "Cool, dry place" recommendations apply.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old May 26, 2011, 12:22 PM   #4
BombthePeasants

As long as you're not using the primed cases as a backup rain gauge, you're good to go.
Old May 26, 2011, 01:15 PM   #5
Doodlebugger45

Not a problem at all. I used to do it that way for pistol brass when I loaded on a single stage press. I would dedicate an evening to just resizing/depriming, then flaring, then priming everything I had on hand. That way when I took a notion to load something up, all I had to do was charge with powder and seat a bullet. The turret press has kind of negated the advantage of doing it that way for pistol brass, but I still do it that way for a lot of rifle brass.

The only disadvantage I ever ran into is that maybe you prime all your brass with standard primers then get a bright idea to make a load that needs magnum primers. Or vice versa. For that reason, I always leave some of my rifle brass un primed since spherical powders need magnum primers while extruded powders do better with standard.
Old May 26, 2011, 01:31 PM   #6
NWPilgrim

I did that for a while, stored several hundred 9mm and .40S&W primed cases in covered coffee cans. No problems. You can buy primed cases as well so shipping and handling must not be a problem either.

I think it works out OK if you are not reloading for a while and have the time to stock up. But when I am regularly reloading then it is an extra step of handling the brass.

So I do it when I have spare reloading time, but not as a general practice.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old May 26, 2011, 01:38 PM   #7
praetorian97

Kind of getting to that point where I am going to store prepped cases and just load them when I get a wild notion or when I get enough of the same batch shot through.
Old May 26, 2011, 02:08 PM   #8
Don H

If it is "bad" to prime cases and store them that way, manufacturers wouldn't sell primed brass.
Old May 26, 2011, 05:17 PM   #9
Sevens

Not only is it not bad... it's a very, very good idea.
When you have a package of 100 primers, you have a hazardous materials item. You can't mail or ship it unless you have an account set up to handle the paperwork AND you pay the handling fees associated with it.

But when you take those same 100 primers and prime cases with them, you no longer have anything that is considered a hazmat. You can even ship them without hazmat paperwork.

And if you have reached your residential storage limit at home and you have more primers than you are legally allowed to keep -- you can reduce that stock without actually losing any of the primers, simply by priming cases.

Most of us who still load single stage (I have been since '89) and yet, load to some kind of actual volume do all of our loading in batches. And HECK YEAH, we keep a lot of already primed brass. Actually, it's already cleaned... sized... trimmed... chamfered... primed... flared... and ready to be loaded!
Old May 26, 2011, 07:35 PM   #10
NWPilgrim

Quote:
And if you have reached your residential storage limit at home and you have more primers than you are legally allowed to keep -- you can reduce that stock without actually losing any of the primers, simply by priming cases.
Good point. I never considered that. During the ammo shortage I did not want to tie up all/most my primers in specific cases. Now that supply is ample I think I will look at loading up some more cases. I already have my primers split into a couple of locations due to quantity so priming the cases sounds like a good strategy beyond the reloading process itself. Thanks for the idea.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old May 26, 2011, 10:59 PM   #11
praetorian97

I hear a lot about the primer shortage that went on. When did that happen, how long did it last, and how much were the rare finds going for?
Old May 26, 2011, 11:37 PM   #12
NWPilgrim

Started after the 2008 elections. First it was guns flying off the shelf, then y January 2009 it was really affecting ammo supplies, and by spring at least reloading components. Lasted until mid to late 2010 I think.

Before the shortage primers were selling for about $22/1000, during the shortage if you found any at all they were more like $35 or more per thousand. Small Pistol and Small Rifle primers especially were impossible to find. The last to go were the magnum and benchrest primers and of course the shotshell primers. There were several discussions about what primers can be substituted for which other ones.

Now they are more like $25/1000 but local shops may still have them up around $30-$35. The main thing is that shelves are back to being fully stocked.

Fortunately I had plenty stocked up, both primed cases and boxed primers, and it never prevented me from shooting, in fact I was able to provide ammo to extended family for shoots. But facing uncertain supply I did start to count my cases loaded much more carefully. Same thing occurred for ammo, bullets, and powders.
- James Madison
Old May 27, 2011, 06:23 AM   #13
Uncle Buck

I saw people paying $50 ~ $55 per 1K for any type of primer when they were :Scarce".

I have a few hundred prepped cases ready for the press. I would imagine some of them have been prepped for awhile. I keep them in large Tupperware type containers with an index card telling me what they are.

.45 Colt, Primed with Winchester WLP, sized and flared.

This way, when I start again, I know where I am in the brass prep stage.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:25 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've had some .357 cases primed and stored now for almost 10 years. I slowly pull them out to reload them. Never had a single issue.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 27, 2011, 09:15 AM   #15
dunerjeff

I was talking to a gunsmith/retailer about that a few weeks ago and he was saying that some people were ordering 10,000 or more primers at a time,even up to 30,000 because they thought they would stop being able to buy them in the future. Thats what caused the shortage. Same with bullets,Nosler told me in an e-mail that same of the handgun bullets are 2 years backlogged.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:15 AM   #16
Sevens

Nosler has some bullets backlogged because Nosler (like every MFR, I'm sure) has their bullets on a priority list... and if the bullet you seek is low priority, FORGET ABOUT IT. They have to tear down a line and change it over to make some of their bullets, especially their handgun bullets.

So don't let them make you think that they have two years worth of orders and they fill them every day and can't catch up -- the truth is, they have a certain particular bullet so far down the priority list that they don't plan on making any of them any time soon because the demand for something else is too great.

I'm not saying I blame them, but please don't be misled as to why there is a long wait for some of them.
Old May 27, 2011, 10:48 AM   #17
Saltydog235

I sent an E-mail to the folks at Sierra a week or so ago and I recieved this reply.

Quote:
We are behind—military orders come in from Lake City unannounced; we make available the proper bullet press to run those orders and then go back to our back orders.

I regret that I have no timeline to when a specific projectile will be produced—thanks for your interest and patience; good hunting!

robert
I was particularly interested in the 165grn HPBT Gamekings. Since they have no timeline I ordered a couple of boxes of Ballistic Tips since they are grouping equally as well as the GK and have the same POI in my rife.

As to the priming question, I do it all the time. I just make sure the primed brass is stored in the appropriate containers until its time to drop a charge and bullet in them. Never had a problem.
Old May 27, 2011, 06:40 PM   #18
Civil War Life

Quote:
I'm a pretty small volume reloader, but was wondering what is the limit in primers and I assume there is a limit on how many pounds of powder one can have?
Old May 29, 2011, 10:22 AM   #19
Sevens

I believe it may vary by state or locality, but web searches turn up known limits of 20,000 primers in a residence.

But officially? You'd need to talk to the local fire marshall.
Old May 29, 2011, 12:39 PM   #20
Civil War Life

Quote:
I believe it may vary by state or locality, but web searches turn up known limits of 20,000 primers in a residence.
Well I'm in no trouble then. That doesn't seem like a lot though. There must have been a lot of people over the limit during the last primer hording episode. I suppose if you have a magazine you can have more.

Thanks Seven for the info.
Old May 29, 2011, 01:20 PM   #21
Jim243

I have had over 200 45 ACP Nickle primed cases sitting for over two years now, no problem. Just loaded 150 223 primed cases, do them 50 at a time, will be reloading them soon, but no issures on storage.

Jim