The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 6, 2011, 10:47 AM   #26
RoscoeC

Quote:
It just matters if you can use it.......
And as usual Dave McC has distilled it down to its very essence.

Brevity is the soul of wit.
NRA Life Member
Old January 6, 2011, 11:02 AM   #27
TheKlawMan

I have an mp3 payer duct taped to my forend that plays really cool music like all the tactical accessory vendors use in the background of their promotional videos. Does that make my 870 Tactikool?
Old January 6, 2011, 11:32 AM   #28
70extreme

tac·ti·cal (tkt-kl)
adj.
1. Of, relating to, or using tactics.
a. Of, relating to, used in, or involving military or naval operations that are smaller, closer to base, and of less long-term significance than strategic operations.
b. Carried out in support of military or naval operations: tactical bombing.
3. Characterized by adroitness, ingenuity, or skill.

This term is an adjective that describes human action, not the tools used during those actions. It is a demonstration of one's ignorance to apply it to any weapon.
Old January 6, 2011, 02:51 PM   #29
johnbt

"I have an mp3 payer duct taped to my forend that plays really cool music like all the tactical accessory vendors use in the background of their promotional videos."

You stole this idea from the movie Kelly's Heroes where he has the music-blaring loudspeaker mounted on his tank.
Old January 6, 2011, 04:05 PM   #30
markj

Last Sunday I saw some new shows on TV, were about concealed carry type stuff. I think that will be the next cash cow on guns. Anyone see just hpw many permit requests hit Iowa on Monday? Soon it will be hard to find someone not carrying
Old January 6, 2011, 05:44 PM   #31
TheKlawMan

"You stole this idea from the movie Kelly's Heroes where he has the music-blaring loudspeaker mounted on his tank."

I don't even know if I saw that, but I may have unconsicously borrowed from the scene in Apocalypse Now in which Robert Duvall leads air cavalry Hueys in an attack on VC while a PA system broadcasts Flight of the Valkyries.
Old January 6, 2011, 07:03 PM   #32
Nnobby45

Quote:
NOBBY 45 – just to clear the air, Wilson purchased the right to manufacture Scattergun Technologies shotguns, no where in Scattergun Tech original catalogues did the word tactical representing their hardware appear, they knew better. Simply because a company jumps on the “hot key” market strategy to sell more guns, does not make the word usable or correct.
I tend to call serious social work shotguns, fighting scatterguns. It is simply my short hand for a scattergun that exhibits the traits I find necessary in a defensive weapon. We here have spent lots of space on what makes a good one, a simple review of our previous posts has lots to say.
Well, true, for the most part. I've done my share of trying to get the world to get on my bandwagon, but in most cases, I've found it easier to speak their language. It's a common language we're all familiar with, in any event, even if it isn't technically correct. Many words and phrases have lost their original intent and taken on a new meaning--- and no one seems willing to be properly educated to the fact.

It's like the Chicken or the Egg came first analogy. Both those who sell the product and those using it have, for better or worse, adapted "tactical" as the accepted language. The .45 Colt has been renamed Long Colt, the Commander is now called the Lightweight Commander, and SD and LE equipment is now tactical. I've made my peace with that.
Old January 6, 2011, 10:02 PM   #33
PT-92

I think the proper analogy relative to "tactical" would be a regular deer rifle vs. an AK or M-16. Any of these would provide a sufficient defense, but only the AK or M-16 would be considered tactical. To me, the same applies to a regular 1187 as opposed to the 1187 Police model.

Just my opinion.

-Cheers
Old January 10, 2011, 08:18 AM   #34
rigby06

replay to johnbt

Quote:
"8 shots of 2 3/4 00 buck in 2 seconds"

But did you hit anything?

Seriously. This is important.
Never missed, kelp all of the shots at a man sized target between the chest and the head, at 15 yards.

Also my Benelli M1, has no accessories on it, nothing more than standard iron sights, not even ghost sights, no lights or lasers, not even a sling, just its 7 shot magazine tube and a 20' barrel.
Old January 15, 2011, 09:00 PM   #35
Stevie-Ray

I have no tactical guns. All of mine are strategic.
Old January 15, 2011, 10:29 PM   #36
Crosshair

Quote:
I have no tactical guns. All of mine are strategic.
Something like this? That has to be hard to carry around.

Old January 16, 2011, 04:40 AM   #37
Russe

Here's what a gun Fabarm SDASS.
That's shooting.
Old January 16, 2011, 05:42 AM   #38
Bones

Quote: rigby06
able to shoot 8 shots of 2 3/4 00 buck in 2 seconds

Quote: Oneounce load
Is there a reason why you feel the need to be able do so ?

Personally, I have never had the need - perhaps you can provide some personal experience where this was necessary.................
"A few years ago,when I shot USPSA Completion with my 1911, and S&W Mod 19, we would sometimes have a side match with shotguns & pepper poppers, or once in awhile we would try some kind of rifle match.
Old January 16, 2011, 08:56 AM   #39
jaguarxk120

Lets see 8 shot in 2 seconds, how about Tom Knapp, but then he shoots at moving targets.

Shooting 8 shots at a hanging piece of paper is a waste of 7 shots. Proves nothing, just that some one likes to throw away 7 rounds of ammo.

If your that good (8 shots in 2 seconds) how about 2 shots at two targets, real easy just break the clay bird as it flys past. And the nice part is you do not have to use heavy loaded buck shot just some lighter number 9 shot.
Old January 16, 2011, 05:11 PM   #40
mathman

Quote:
the Commander is now called the Lightweight Commander
Actually, I thought the Commander was the steel framed version and the Lightweight Commander is the aluminum framed one...just sayin'.
Old January 17, 2011, 11:39 AM   #41
Scattergun Bob

Quote:
Actually, I thought the Commander was the steel framed version and the Lightweight Commander is the aluminum framed one...just sayin'.
Me too, mathman, but then I am not up to date on the new age names of Colt self loaders.

Good Luck & Be Safe