The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 10, 2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Lambdebois

Brenneke "KO" VS. Brenneke "Black Majic" Slugs

What are the differences?

Will the "KO'S" be enough for a big black bear up to 400-500lbs or should I get the "Black Majic" Brenneke's?
Old July 11, 2009, 12:38 AM   #2
danweasel

Yes and yes. Go with the Black Magic. You'll feel better. I would think the KO's would be fine though never actually had 'em though. The green ones are good too. They are just 2 3/4 instead of 3" like the blacks.
Old July 11, 2009, 08:24 PM   #3
JonathanZ

The KO will be fine for black bears. The Black Magic are needed for grizzlies. It won't hurt to use the Black Magic for black bears, but it's overkill and the only place I know to get them is by ordering them online where as you can find the KO's in your regular sporting goods store.
Old July 12, 2009, 10:23 AM   #4
NovemberWhiskey870

They carry the Black Magics at "Fleet Farm" around here.
Old July 12, 2009, 12:09 PM   #5
RaisedByWolves

I shot the KO's last week and wasnt overly impressed with them. I got them cheap (2.99 box) but for full retail I would go with the BM's as they group better for me.
Old July 12, 2009, 09:36 PM   #6
jammin1237

never used the ko's, always the black magics, 3" 1 3/8 oz (600 grains) with great results on paper, uses saboted heavy slug with special coating... the ko's are generaly lighter loads with no special coating on the sabot or slug, as rumor has it...

for complete info visit their site http://www.brennekeusa.com/startlink5.html

and click on detailed slug specs........

cheers
Old July 15, 2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

FWIW, the KOs are the most accurate slug out of my two slug shooter 870s and also do OK from Frankenstein's first barrel and a Skeet tube.

4 1/4" ETE at 100 yards from the better, less than an inch more from t'other.

In a more reality oriented observation, every deer I shot with them was recovered within say 75 yards. Ray Charles could have followed the blood trails.

Can't ask much more than that.

Using them on BIG bears, say over 400 lbs, takes me out of my comfort zone. I've not hunted any bear, so this is just a NET opinion, but for those I'd want the Rottweil Brenekkes in 1 3/8 oz.

Or a Barret Light 50 loaded with softpoints.....