The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 25, 2009, 09:54 PM   #1
azredhawk44

Just finished my new reloading bench.

And it's cool.

Always "got by" with a corner in the garage or even in the dining room of apartments.

I just bought a new house and it has a dedicated 20x20 workshop in a corner of the property. I decided that a nice, purpose-built reloading bench would be in order.

Specs:

The bench is 10 feet long, and the height is perfect for me to stand or sit on a similar-height stool... the work surface is 45" up from the ground. (My last work surface on my old workbench as 36" up from the ground and I had to bend over with every stroke of the press if standing... very annoying.) The work surface is 19" deep, giving me plenty of room to mount a press on it and keep various tools at hand while also keeping cartridges neatly organized.

I have 3 presses:

1. The ol' standby - an RCBS RockChucker Supreme. This has been my go-to press for several years now. I've done all my reloading on single stage up until today... 9mm, 45acp, .223, .308, .44, .357... all of it.

2. A Lyman T-mag turret. I bought this used off a fella on TFL and have yet to use it. I just mounted it to the "second" section of my bench today and I intend on using it for bulk pistol ammo turnout. If it works well for that, I may also use it for .223, though I am loathe to use it for anything approaching .30 caliber rifle. I also ordered the auto priming system for the Lyman turret presses and a Lee Pro auto-disk so I have a complete solution at this work station, and the case can start as an empty and leave completely assembled.

3. My first press, but with a twist: I broke my original RCBS Partner press while resizing a .308 case, and I sent it in to RCBS (the frame cracked in half). They sent me a new one and it has sat in a box collecting dust until now. Now, it sits mounted on the bench... with a caveat: It is equipped with my Lee auto-prime II die set and the RCBS Uniflow powder measure is locked in place between the die lock nut and the press frame. This augments my RockChucker, though it can certainly be disassembled to accomodate any other light reloading tasks I might have.

All in all...3 people can potentially be reloading over at my reloading bench simultaneously, for 3 different cartridges. All the other requisite toys are neatly arranged on the new bench: Brass hand lathe, handheld priming tools, powder scales, bullet pullers, load manuals, case tumblers. It's quite cool.

The bench itself is a series of 6 biscuit-joined 2x4's that then have 3 pieces of 19" all-thread run through them for tension. It is anchored to 2x6 wall studs with 3.5" lag screws. The legs have adjustable feet installed in them that I can use to level the work surface. It is cross-braced with additional 2x4's and has absolutely no flex in it at all when you put force into the press. My last workbench flexed all over the place while resizing and drove me nuts.

I'm very happy with the result.

I will be using these presses not just for my own needs, but also teaching others to reload. Starting with my dad and my little brother, but I'll work with any other shooter I meet in Phoenix that wants to learn to reload.
Old October 25, 2009, 10:19 PM   #2
Jector

Nice! Mine is all rickety, an upgrade is planned.
Old October 25, 2009, 10:21 PM   #3
Citywaterman

Very nice

Very nice. You did an excellent job with your new bench. It looks like you have some wall space above the bench. I bet this bench will grow. Looks nice, neat and organized. That's the way I like to keep mine too. Have fun and as always, be safe. Citywaterman
Old October 26, 2009, 02:37 AM   #4
Prince55

Looks Super Nice & Heavy Duty.

Thanks for the pictures.
Old October 26, 2009, 03:12 AM   #5
Mike215

Looks nice. I need to get into reloading..
Old October 26, 2009, 06:31 AM   #6
Dr. Strangelove

Nice setup! Beats the stuffin' out of the old computer desk I'm using...
Old October 26, 2009, 06:37 AM   #7
PBKing

Right On

Note to self...Clean bench
Old October 26, 2009, 08:05 AM   #8
Foxbat

Very well made, it is always nice to see what people can do with some 2x4, and each bench reflects the owner's personality. Just a couple of questions:

Why not load sitting down? I have always done it that way, and it is great for your back and legs.

Also, the bench is quite narrow. While it looks clean now, as anyone with work bench knows, they tend to become covered with stuff way too quickly. My advice to anyone contemplating building a new bench is to make is as wide as possible. Mine is 36" wide, and it is great.

Last question - did you seal the wood surface with something?
Old October 26, 2009, 09:21 AM   #9
azredhawk44

Quote:
Also, the bench is quite narrow. While it looks clean now, as anyone with work bench knows, they tend to become covered with stuff way too quickly. My advice to anyone contemplating building a new bench is to make is as wide as possible. Mine is 36" wide, and it is great.

Last question - did you seal the wood surface with something?
Why so narrow: It's not my general workbench: I have another one (one of those Home Depot sheet metal framed ones) for that type of stuff. This one is for reloading only. I don't want the temptation of clutter around reloading... it contributes to bad procedure. This will keep my loading neat, since my work area has no choice but to be neat.

Wood seal: No, not yet. The wood was so green from Home Depot that it felt damp and soapy to the touch. If I sealed it right now, the moisture would stay inside the wood and it would peel or rot from the inside. I'll use it for six months and let it dry out: I sanded the surface already with 60 grit; I'll hit it with 100 or 150 grit when I'm getting ready to seal it. It'll probably get a urethane seal on top.
Old October 26, 2009, 01:31 PM   #10
blaser.306

new bench!

Nice looking bench , but I notice "alot" of extra real estate between tools . The simple answer ,YOU NEED MORE TOYS !!!
Old October 26, 2009, 07:22 PM   #11
CrustyFN

Very nice Hawk.
Old October 26, 2009, 10:16 PM   #12
Fullthrottle

Nice....much nicer than my "little corner"! Hey, what ever works for ya!
Old October 26, 2009, 10:49 PM   #13
reloader28

Very nice bench. I have two 8 foot benches and a 4 foot bench in my reloading room for 5 people all together, but I kinda like piece and quiet. I also built it high enough to stand or sit depending on what I'm doing. Mines built similar to yourse but this is my third setup and I used a 3/4" plywood surface this time.I found I like the ply much better for stiffness. The normal board top always had flex I didnt like. Now its solid as a ....a rock (not a board). If yourse happens to flex any, try a 16" by 16" ply under the press and it wont flex anymore, but you have a very nice set-up all the same.
Old October 26, 2009, 11:13 PM   #14
Jeff B.

I'm like Mike215, thinking about getting into reloading. I'll be looking back at your set up in the future, I'm sure.

Jeff B.
Old October 27, 2009, 04:44 AM   #15
bpratl

If I made a new loading bench, I would also make it narrow, as my wide one is a JUNK collector.

Bob
Old October 27, 2009, 05:47 AM   #16
Sport45

Nice job!
Old October 27, 2009, 07:36 AM   #17
Foxbat

"If I made a new loading bench, I would also make it narrow, as my wide one is a JUNK collector. "

He-he... I think the narrow ones collect every bit as much junk, but in more layers!

I am not an anal neatness freak, but I keep the reloading bench much cleaner than my other work surfaces.
Old October 27, 2009, 10:26 AM   #18
Travelin' Man

Very nice indeed! I too am working on a new reloading bench but I probably won't get it done and in place until after the holidays.
Old October 27, 2009, 10:38 AM   #19
confirmed shooter

Just like PBKing, I have to go and find my bench under all the crap that I have been woorking on since last Saturday. Very nice Bench, I know you will enjoy re-loading in such a clean area. charlie sierra
Old October 27, 2009, 11:43 AM   #20
wncchester

Redhawk, you done good. Your bench height/width is perfect, IMHO. Excellant framing design, you obviosly understand the stresses on a bench.

As an ol' poop who has built and helped build several benches, let me suggest a few tool placement changes and additions for your consideration.

Take out the Lyman powder stand and put your RC there. Having a good bit of free space for case trays and bullets to the left of your press (assuming you're right handed) would be good.

Mount a sturdy 3 1/2 or 4 inch swiveling "machinest" type vise (Lowe's/H'Dpot) where you now have the RC. A vise is handy for a lot of things including gun cleaning AND as a temp mount for your case trimmer, concentricity gage, etc, if you put them on a wood block you can clamp in the vise.

Place the powder stand to the rear and just to the left of the RC, putting the dispenser near the middle of the top, with enough clearance for your right hand/arm to get past the press without having to move your feet to work with powder.

I'd also build a sorta "book case" shelf unit for powder, primers, loaded ammo, cases, tools, etc. Make it the full length of the bench and with shelves no more than 6" wide (except for ONE, a much wider one for the scale) and attach it to the wall above the bench. (Wider shelves will let things get lost!)

Do have at least one wider, STURDY shelf near chin level at or about the same height as the powder measure's handle. Then set your beam scale/powder trickler on that shelf, just to the left of the measure where it will be safe, easy to use and your work flow when charging cases and seating bullets will be smooth and fast. Most folks who say beam scales and manual measures are too slow have them placed improperly. And, of course, reverse all these positions if you are left handed.

Adding multi-outlet powder strips to each end of your bench would make it easy to connect tumbler, radio, fan, battery charger, Dremmel tool, vacuum, etc., where you need them And add a paper towel holder at one end of your bench or on the wall at about that point. You WILL need them, so keep them handy!

It's really nice to have a seamless bench top, much easier to keep it clean! Maybe cover it with a glued on sheet of 1/4", or less, plywood? Or at least belt sand it smooth and level and lay on three-four coats of a marine grade polyurethane to seal the wood from spills?

Your idea of a "public service" training site is commendable. Good luck, you are off to a great new level of working!

Last edited by wncchester; October 27, 2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old October 27, 2009, 05:16 PM   #21
flashhole

Nice.

Did you use a jointer to face the edges of the 2x4's used on the top so they would mate squarely? Are they glued?

When you mounted your equipment, did you drill holes all the way through the bench and secure them with nuts, bolts, and washers, or did you use lag screws?

Are you ready for civil war?
Old October 27, 2009, 06:08 PM   #22
azredhawk44

flashhole:

The 2x4's are actually about 1.5x3 at this point after having been faced individually with a table saw and planer.

The resulting neat faces were cut for use with cardboard biscuits at consistent height, while designating a "top" side for each 2x4. They were also each individually drilled to accept a piece of 1/4" all-thread through them at 3 different points.

I created 2 individual surfaces each consisting of 3 of the 2x4's. These were then glued end to end and biscuit-joined, clamped in place and allowed to dry overnight. The next day they were planed individually to a smooth surface for the top (9.5" each surface, since the planer is only 12" wide).

I then biscuit-joined and glued the 2 surfaces into one large surface and clamped them in place. The all-thread holes aligned well enough for me to insert my 19" pieces of all-thread and tighten them into place. This dried overnight also.

The frame was built in place in the workshop against the wall and the benchtop was lifted onto it as a completely assembled unit.

The mounted equipment is secured in place with 3 inch bolts, drilled through the work surface and held in place with appropriate washers and nuts.

The bench is anchored against the wall with 3.5" lag screws into the 2x6 studs. The bulk of the bench is held together with 3" wood screws.

Last edited by azredhawk44; October 27, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
Old October 27, 2009, 06:24 PM   #23
wncchester

I could not see all that of course, and facing the 2x4s will surely give you a flat surface. It's clear you did a good job and have the needed carpentry skills for the task.

If I may ask, where is it located? The finished walls suggest a room inside your home rather than a garage or external shop. Meaning, I hope it's heated and cooled for all season work!
Old October 27, 2009, 06:28 PM   #24
azredhawk44

Quote:
Redhawk, you done good. Your bench height/width is perfect, IMHO. Excellant framing design, you obviosly understand the stresses on a bench.

Thanks, wncchester. This is my first bench I've built, having used ad-hoc solutions or retail workbenches from home depot in the past.

As an ol' poop who has built and helped build several benches, let me suggest a few tool placement changes and additions for your consideration.

Take out the Lyman powder stand and put your RC there. Having a good bit of free space for case trays and bullets to the left of your press (assuming you're right handed) would be good.

I'm a southpaw, so I want each press left-justified on each "station" at the bench. The Lyman powder unit hasn't been anchored yet because I'm not sure where I want it... if I need to use it in the meantime, however, it can be C-clamped in place easily enough until I know where I want it. You're right though, that a right handed user would probably prefer to reverse my layout.

Mount a sturdy 3 1/2 or 4 inch swiveling "machinest" type vise (Lowe's/H'Dpot) where you now have the RC. A vise is handy for a lot of things including gun cleaning AND as a temp mount for your case trimmer, concentricity gage, etc, if you put them on a wood block you can clamp in the vise.

I have another home depot style bench that will be getting a machinist vice now that that piece of real estate is free for other purposes than a press. good idea as a temp mount for the case trimmer though. I'll adjust my case trimmer mount block accordingly once I get the vice.

Place the powder stand to the rear and just to the left of the RC, putting the dispenser near the middle of the top, with enough clearance for your right hand/arm to get past the press without having to move your feet to work with powder.

I'm actually gonna leave the Lyman measure off the bench for awhile since I have the little partner press down at the end JUST for priming and powder throwing (using the Uniflow) on single stage.

I'd also build a sorta "book case" shelf unit for powder, primers, loaded ammo, cases, tools, etc. Make it the full length of the bench and with shelves no more than 6" wide (except for ONE, a much wider one for the scale) and attach it to the wall above the bench. (Wider shelves will let things get lost!)

There's a water heater next to the bench, unfortunately. I am loathe to leave my primers/powder in the same room due to that. Right now the powder and primers are locked away elsewhere, but it's easy to grab a brick of primers and a jug of powder when needed. I do want some more storage though and I feel some shelves coming above the bench at some point, recessed enough so as not to bump my head against them!

Do have at least one wider, STURDY shelf near chin level at or about the same height as the powder measure's handle. Then set your beam scale/powder trickler on that shelf, just to the left of the measure where it will be safe, easy to use and your work flow when charging cases and seating bullets will be smooth and fast. Most folks who say beam scales and manual measures are too slow have them placed improperly. And, of course, reverse all these positions if you are left handed.

Neat idea. I'll try it. Makes sense.

Adding multi-outlet powder strips to each end of your bench would make it easy to connect tumbler, radio, fan, battery charger, Dremmel tool, vacuum, etc., where you need them And add a paper towel holder at one end of your bench or on the wall at about that point. You WILL need them, so keep them handy!

Yep. Right now paper towels are on the shelf below, but mounting them on the wall on a plastic dispenser would free up bench space and make them easier to find. Power strips coming soon, next trip to the store.

It's really nice to have a seamless bench top, much easier to keep it clean! Maybe cover it with a glued on sheet of 1/4", or less, plywood? Or at least belt sand it smooth and level and lay on three-four coats of a marine grade polyurethane to seal the wood from spills?

This surface is pretty smooth with the exception of one rise where the wood is flexing from being green. I've sanded it once with 60 grit and most everything is nice and smooth except that one spot. Once it ages and settles it will get a final sanding and a urethane sealing. I'd prefer to avoid a plywood top since plywood comes in 4x8 and my bench is 10 feet long. It introduces a seam that is much more annoying than the long 2x4 joins.
Reply in red.
Old October 27, 2009, 06:28 PM   #25
wncchester

Actually, I reallly believe the water heater is an asset for a loadng room. It does add a little heat but heat reduces the humidity and water is much more of a problem than the temp. Your presses, dies, etc, won't rust so bad and the low humidity is also good for powder and primers! But, then again, I don't suppose that's a bad problem in AZ! I could leave my carpentry tools outside overnight for a week when I lived in NM in the early 60s but not so in NC!

And - Install LOTS of overhead light if you can. I love 48" dual florescent tube "shop light" fixtures placed end to end over the length of the front edge of the bench top. That gives a lot of shadow free light over your sholders and floods into the "book shelves" I mentioned too.

And - Find a sturdy bar stool that puts you sitting about the same height as you would be standing. I got mine for a couple of bucks, with a padded swiveling seat, at a yard sale some 20 years ago. Love it.

Last edited by wncchester; October 27, 2009 at 06:50 PM.