The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2016, 05:22 PM   #1
Tommyb78

Best turkey choke for my 870

In your experience,what is the best turkey choke you have used in your 870? Or any shotgun for that matter
Old December 29, 2016, 10:38 PM   #2
Blindstitch

Since ammo vs. choke exists one persons good is anothers rubbish.

I use an HS Strut Undertaker with my Mossberg 500. Seems like the 2 3/4 ammo shoots tighter than the 3 inch. I think I used two types of winchester ammo and then another brand.

http://www.basspro.com/Hunters-Speci...product/22025/
Old December 30, 2016, 05:43 AM   #3
eastbank

it depends on the ammo your going to use and finding a choke that will pattern best at the range you will want. i limite my self to 35 yards and thats what i pattern my ammo and chokes for. sure you can kill turkeys out to longer yardage, but your chances of wounding a fantastic game bird go up alot. mr mypoic.
Old December 30, 2016, 01:34 PM   #4
Tommyb78

So in your experience, what is the best ammo-choke combo you have shot. I realize all guns are different. Just looking for a starting point to go from. My 870 is only chambered for up to 3" shells. Would prefer to keep it in the 2 3/4" range to keep recoil down. Any input will help. I look forward to the vast knowledge you have to share on this subject.
Old December 30, 2016, 01:57 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

There is no 'best' anything. A factory 'turkey choke', extra full or whatever Remington calls it, will work as well as any aftermarket tube. Either way, you'll have to pick your ammo, if you're not reloading(far less expensive to get into than rifle/pistol reloading), and shoot the thing on a patterning board.
Old December 30, 2016, 03:11 PM   #6
FITASC

Quote:
Would prefer to keep it in the 2 3/4" range to keep recoil down. Any input will help. I look forward to the vast knowledge you have to share on this subject.
If you know how to call well, 2-3/4" is all you need. I saw an article on another forum where someone hunts turkeys with a load of #9s running at 1500 fps and kills turkeys out to 50 yards - (he had lots of pics)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 30, 2016, 04:01 PM   #7
lefteye

I have several 870 12 ga. shotguns. It has been years since I hunted turkeys, but my choice was always a 2 3/4" shell and a modified choke. My choice was, in part, based on the fact that I would be sitting on the ground, probably with my back to a tree so I didn't feel the need to bear the pain of a 3" shell. All were one shot kills and I never wounded one. I believe that experience indicates the 2 3/4" load was always enough.
Old December 30, 2016, 07:32 PM   #8
AdamSean

The was getting 24" patterns at 40 yards with the TruGlo Bone Collector Smackdown choke using 3" #5 shot Winchester Long Beard XR. And it only cost me $30.
Old December 31, 2016, 04:28 PM   #9
eastbank

i like the old federal flite controll 3" #5or6 shot shells and the newer 3 "#5or6 shot win long beards and run imp mod chokes with them, they are a little more than modified but less than full. and i get fantatic 35 yard patterns and use a lead sled to sight my shotgun in. i love hunting turkeys in the spring. even when i don,t get any. eastbank.
Old December 31, 2016, 05:28 PM   #10
SJCbklyn

I used the choke that came on my 835. I used 2 3/4" Remington duplex 4x6 and killed a bunch of birds at and around 50 yds. That same choke workers very well with coyote hevi shot.
Old January 2, 2017, 11:50 PM   #11
bamaranger

factory

I've shot a Rem 870 at gobblers for years, mostly with a 20" rifle sighted slug barrel, and a factory Rem Super Full turkey choke, the one with the knurling on the muzzle end. Rem makes a turkey choke with a slightly lesser constriction and I think they call that one Turkey Extra Full. They also used to make one called the "Ventilator", which had multiple ports and was their tightest set up, but it is my belief that it is discontinued, and I have not ever used one. I shot the Extra Full for a few seasons, then switched to the "Extra Full" and never regretted it.

Chokes and ammo are interdependent, and you can spend a ton of money experimenting and finding a combo with which you are satisfied. I know a few guys who have spent enough for a new gun, if not two, in search of of the ideal combo. The Remington factory turkey chokes are affordable and should offer good results when paired with premium ammo, to clobber any gobbler you center at a reasonable range.

My preferred load is the Winchester "XR" lead, 3 inch, #5 shot, 1- 3/4 oz ( I think that is the correct payload weight). In my set up, it is the best performing lead load I have ever shot. It will shoot patterns that equal or exceed older, heavier shot charge loads of smaller shot, while still delivering heavier pellets at higher velocity. The XR lead load is the one with the pellets encased in an epoxy mix.

Finally, as I always do, I suggest you look into some type of sighting system for your gobbler gun beyond the traditional single bead. These new loads and good chokes deliver patterns that are tight enough to miss with at closer ranges and require good pointing to center a gobbler at even moderate ranges. What ever your choice, a dot, or fiber optic front and rear, or a scope, go the extra distance and fit your gun with good sights.
Old January 3, 2017, 10:30 AM   #12
Virginian

Apparently, the more money you spend and the scarier the name, the better.