The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 24, 2016, 09:28 AM   #26
shootbrownelk

DPMS builds .260 Rem, .243 Win, and even .338 Fed. on their LR-308 platform.
Old December 24, 2016, 09:44 AM   #27
stagpanther

Quote:
DPMS builds .260 Rem, .243 Win, and even .338 Fed. on their LR-308 platform.
True--but finding one available can be harder than finding a trophy buck in NYC's Central Park. lol
Old December 24, 2016, 10:42 AM   #28
precision_shooter

I'm one who is excited and will check them out next month at SHOT for sure. Hoping they offer one in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'll be in the market for one if they do...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old December 24, 2016, 11:56 AM   #29
Venom1956

Quote:
Me personally seem to observe the "AR-10" fad passing off into the sunset. At least this observation by what the shooters are using at my club's 100 yd range.
I hardly think the AR10s are a fad. The fact that the cheapest .308 AR is roughly double the price of a 5.56 AR and less common in shops coupled with the cost of ammo for .308 I fail to see how seeing less of them at the range is a surprise.

Judging that the US originally made the AR in 308 and they currently use AR10s such as the SASS and HK417 they seem to show some merit.

Shooters that want a .308 AR have reasons for it just as those that choose 5.56 why can't we just have both?
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 24, 2016, 12:14 PM   #30
Kvon2

I'd be interested to see what they do with it. They've proven with the A17 they can make a semi auto work well.
Old December 24, 2016, 12:48 PM   #31
stagpanther

Quote:
Hoping they offer one in 6.5 Creedmoor. I'll be in the market for one if they do...
Despite what others may say about the creedmoor--it is here to stay with gobs of after-market barrels available and growing rapidly in popularity--and all it is is a simple barrel swap on any x308/AR10.
Old December 24, 2016, 02:44 PM   #32
salt and battery

I really like the side charging handle much better then the standard awkward contraption on the AR which is better suited for an air soft gun
Old December 24, 2016, 03:21 PM   #33
rickyrick

At least it's not just another entry level .223 carbine
Old December 25, 2016, 04:54 PM   #34
ranger56528

I'd add it to my Savage collection.
Old December 25, 2016, 05:55 PM   #35
stagpanther

Quote:
I'd add it to my Savage collection.
If I didn't already have a bunch of xx308 builds in my safes--I would probably do it without hesitation, simply because I've never been disappointed with a savage.
Old December 25, 2016, 10:55 PM   #36
ed308

What I would like to see from Savage, something similar to a Ruger Precision Rifle. I know they have the 110BA Stealth. But I want it with AR parts, especially the barrel. That would get my attention. A side charging .308 AR, not so much. I like a side charging AR. They are my preferred upper for 3 Gun and hunting.
Old December 26, 2016, 05:49 PM   #37
ranger56528

I should of said if it comes in .223/.556 I'd add one to my Savage collection,I have enough .308s and its cheeper to shoot .223. Then I would like to add a RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor if one became available for a reasonable price,seen a couple for 1550 and 1599 but that's MSRP or more.
Old December 26, 2016, 06:22 PM   #38
stagpanther

Quote:
What I would like to see from Savage, something similar to a Ruger Precision Rifle. I know they have the 110BA Stealth. But I want it with AR parts, especially the barrel. That would get my attention. A side charging .308 AR, not so much. I like a side charging AR. They are my preferred upper for 3 Gun and hunting.
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/BAStealth Guns America just reviewed it--I could swear tha the review gun had a 24" barrel--but maybe I'm not remembering that correctly.
Old December 28, 2016, 01:54 PM   #39
TMD

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Sava...eid=77242c6c80

Looks like their 5.56 version is out. Other than the 5R rifling seems nothing is special. Also not a fan of Blackhawk furniture but seeing as how Savage owns them it was a given.
Old December 28, 2016, 05:56 PM   #40
marine6680

Link was broken...

HERE it is.

Looks like it is a basic carbine. The one in the vid looks different.

Ok... a little more digging found other models. With a range in pricing.

A "recon" model.

And they offer ar10 sized in 308 and 6.5...

A more stripped down hunter version.

And the one in the video, the fancier long range model with the side charger.

Last edited by marine6680; December 28, 2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old December 28, 2016, 07:19 PM   #41
stagpanther

Wow--looks like they jumped in lock, stock and barrel, so to speak. Looks like they trimmed a bit of weight compared to similar set-ups--my guess is that they are going to have to deliver exceptional accuracy at their price points in order to make splash in a saturated market--but I don't doubt they're up to it. We'll see. That target grade 22" creedmoor at 10 pounds looks very interesting.
Old December 29, 2016, 03:51 PM   #42
TMD

Well my LGS just got a new Savage MSR Patrol in today and I must say its a sad disappointment. The front sight / gas block is some kind of alloy (most likely aluminum) which with heavy use will surely get burned through and leak, what's suppose to a forward assist is just a plastic plug ( yes I know its not needed but a plastic plug, really), and lastly the fit between the upper and lower is horrible. The contour lines between the two of them don't even line up. It looks like two different mismatched brands. Even the gun shop said they've seen better quality on less expensive guns.
So sad, I was expecting more from Savage.
Old December 29, 2016, 03:57 PM   #43
VoodooMountain

I can't tell from the pics but does this gun have a side charging handle only?
The pics almost look like it has a fake ar style charging handle as well.
Old December 29, 2016, 04:04 PM   #44
ed308

That one photo of the left side of the receivers looks like they used off the shelf parts. Not impressed.
Old December 29, 2016, 04:10 PM   #45
TMD

Quote:
I can't tell from the pics but does this gun have a side charging handle only?
The pics almost look like it has a fake ar style charging handle as well.
Its a regular milspec charging handle. This model is not a side charge and for a MSRP of $852 and street price of $699 is not that impressive. I know Savages aren't know for their refinement but this is a new low.
Old December 29, 2016, 05:56 PM   #46
stagpanther

That is not a new gun from the looks of it--somebody is fooling with someone.
Old December 29, 2016, 09:26 PM   #47
precision_shooter

Highly disappointed is that is not just a poor example or someone's idea of a joke... interested to see what the ones at SHOT will look like comparatively.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old December 30, 2016, 09:04 AM   #48
TMD

I watched them take it out of the box to log it in. I was actually the first one to handle it. Sadly it's not a joke. I know Savages aren't know for their refined fit and finish but this is a new low.
Old December 30, 2016, 09:28 AM   #49
stagpanther

Quote:
I watched them take it out of the box to log it in. I was actually the first one to handle it. Sadly it's not a joke. I know Savages aren't know for their refined fit and finish but this is a new low.
May have come out of the box all nice and tidy--but that is not a new rifle IMO. Did they buy it directly from the factory? Most gun shops deal with middlemen unless they are buying volume, sometimes "early models" that make it to dealers are "demonstration refugees" that have previously been used. I still think somebody is pulling someone's leg. I have bought several weapons that dealers have sworn on the bible were brand new--and clearly they were not, and I'm talking about more than just a round or two of factory test firing.
Old December 30, 2016, 10:25 AM   #50
Skans

Based on the ad I saw on youtube which showed a refined and interesting variation of the AR, I was going to reply "Great! - the more AR manufactures there are the harder it becomes to ban them." But, that thing looks like some kind of bubbed franken-AR. Could you possibly find an upper receiver that is more mismatched to the lower receiver if you tried? Seriously??? What happened to the sleek aluminum free-float handguard? Or the interesting side-cocker? Or the refined looking receivers? And the plastic plug - BARF!