The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2013, 06:41 PM   #1
valleyforge.1777

Can I crimp 38 Specials below the cannelure?

Can I make 38 Specials that are 1.5 inches COL if it would require me to crimp just below the cannelure? I am going to be loading some 38 Special brass using 125 grain JHP Montana Gold bullets over Titegroup powder. I have tons of once used 38 Special brass, probably around 7,500 of them. But I want to make the COL 1.5 inches instead of the more traditional max COL of ~1.45 inches so that I can load and fire these in a lever rifle that hiccups while loading anything but my longest factory 38 Specials (Remington UMC 125 grain FMJ that come in around 1.481 by my measurements). I need to go a little longer than that to get the rounds to load reliably and smoothly. To do that, I'd be crimping just below the lower edge of the cannelure. Is that OK?

Ps. These are for a lever rifle. I don't know if these will chamber in a 38 Special revolver, but I don't really care.
Old April 7, 2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Nathan

The basic answer is sure, you are not required to use the canelure. The question I have is why isn't your 38 rifle feeding 38's or is it really a 357 mag rifle?
Old April 7, 2013, 07:00 PM   #3
valleyforge.1777

It's a 357/38 lever rifle, but it does much better with 357 cartridges, and has some loading hiccups with the 38's. It's a fairly common issue with these rifles. I have way too much once-fired 38 brass to just go out and buy 357 brass for reloading, so I am going to use the 38 brass to make 38's for the rifle.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:54 PM   #4
GP100man

Be careful ,crimpin out of the cannelure will bulge the case alot qwiker .
Old April 7, 2013, 08:16 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

not guessing

Redding Profile Crimp Die
Old April 7, 2013, 08:25 PM   #6
JimPage

I'd use a taper crimp die. It that doesn't work you could cut a tiny crimp in the longer bullet. Not difficult to do with simple tools.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old April 7, 2013, 08:27 PM   #7
WESHOOT2

"Why, Tim?"

(the Redding die offers a taper, and only the taper if so adjusted. and then you can adjust it further, adding roll crimping as desired. very symmetrical finish...)
Old April 7, 2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Two Old Dogs

A cannelure tool will solve the problem.
Old April 8, 2013, 03:09 PM   #9
snuffy

Quote:
To do that, I'd be crimping just below the lower edge of the cannelure. [b\s that OK?[/b]
NO. Standard 38 special dies have a roll crimper built in. Without a cannelure for the crimp to "roll into" you won't get ANY crimp no matter what you do. Try it, you WILL end up with bulged cases.

A taper crimp die will also have a difficult time crimping on the full diameter portion of the side of the bullet on true jacketed bullets. The jacket is pretty tough, it might take a little crimp before AGAIN bulging the case. Taper crimpers are made for plated or lead bullets, much softer material.

I'm not familiar with montana gold bullets, are they a plated bullet? If so, you're good to go with a proper taper crimp die made for .358 bullets.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 8, 2013, 03:17 PM   #10
Slamfire

I have seen factory cases with 148 LSWC's that looked like they were crimped below the bullet. I would have had to remove the bullet to determine if the crimp was exactly at the base or a little above.