The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 18, 2014, 12:02 AM   #151
zombietactics

Quote:
Well it's not about ballistics per see.
Actually, terminal ballistics is the very thing we are discussing.

Quote:
Ayoob and others have found that yes the more powerful guns do TEND to stop better. And the better shaped and designed bullets TEND to do better. And shot placement does TEND to make a difference.
Mas (and others?) is a great guy ... seriously, a hero of mine for all the reasons he ought to be. I RSO'd for a class of his once and found him to be a genuinely decent person with a great sense of humor. He's also fascinating to talk to at the dinner table.

I don't think I've argued against shot placement ... and I wouldn't. I think a well-designed projectile or cartridge makes a difference, and I don't believe I've ever said otherwise.

I'm not really sure what "the more powerful guns" means in context, and how much you are suggesting they "tend" to do better? How much is that tendency ... 1%? ... 10%? ... does anyone claim to know?

I'll give you this much ... faster rounds tend to expand better/earlier than slower rounds. That's something measurable, and so I'd hazard a guess that it's better in some way. How much? ... 1% ... 10% ... I don't know of anyone who really claims to know, with anything more than an educated guess.

I'd never tell anyone using any solid duty caliber, with a tested/validated cartridge design, that they are "doing the wrong thing". That wouldn't make sense, as the science simply says otherwise.

There really aren't significant advantages either. Where we get into trouble is believing that some special caliber or gun is likely to be the thing which makes the difference.

I'm going to go do my nightly 10-15 minutes of dry practice, which I think is likely to make a much bigger difference should the unfortunate occasion arise.

Last edited by zombietactics; March 18, 2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old March 18, 2014, 01:06 AM   #152
JD0x0

I like .357 sig because it essentially bridges the gap between the .30 tokarev and the 9mm luger.

.311 85 grain SD = .126
.355 115 grain SD = .130

.357sig 115 grain MV = 1550 fps, 614ft-lbs (102mm barrel)
7.62x25 85 grain MV = 1230-1720fps, 290-560ft-lbs (120mm barrel)
Old March 18, 2014, 04:55 AM   #153
volkstrm

No never. To many LEA using it. Its a great caliber.