The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 28, 2009, 02:05 PM   #1
jaamard

Model 11 information....

i posted a thread under a different category....new to this. I bought a model 11 a week ago thinking it would be a good duck gun. headquarters informed me that it was made in 1913. my guess was it was maybe 30 years old with the tightness of the action and the condition. my problem is that i dont have another use for this gun, and its too nice to sit in my gun cabinet....if there is any interest out there let me know, i am just looking to get my money back not make a fortune. thanks Jamie
Old September 28, 2009, 03:29 PM   #2
Don H

Novel way to get around the forum rules regarding Buying, Selling and Trading.
Old September 28, 2009, 03:48 PM   #3
jaamard

not my intent

i wasnt trying to bend any rules. i own a gun that i dont need and had hoped that someone would find it a bonus to add it to their collection. thats all.
Old September 28, 2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Creeper

Being "new" to a forum is not a good excuse for not understanding the rules. Knowing the rules is a members responsibility... as a courtesy to not only the owners of the site, but to the members who utilize and benefit from it.

Once you have an additional 23 or more meaningful posts, you may list the gun here. Read the "forum rules" stickied at the top of that page to make sure you are complying with the rules of the forum regarding firearms sales, and that you conduct your transaction in such a way that it meets all Federal, State and local laws.

Chances are if you post again with another veiled attempt to sell your gun, someone will (rightfully) complain... and you'll be banned.

Cheers... and welcome to TFL.
C
Old September 28, 2009, 07:27 PM   #5
Larry Ashcraft

Just so you know, the Remington Model 11 is a fine shotgun. I have a Trap Grade that my dad owned.

Trouble is, they were discontinued in 1926, they're somewhat fragile, and most parts are made of unobtainium.

I plan on keeping mine, and shooting it, as long as I can keep it running. I have a feeling my grandsons will still be using it long after I'm gone...
Old September 28, 2009, 08:55 PM   #6
mlw270win

The Remington model 11 was not discontinued until about 1946 or 47. I would not consider them fragile, there are still alot of them around and they are still going strong. They hold-up just as well as the Browning Auto 5 which they were based on.
Old September 28, 2009, 09:00 PM   #7
Larry Ashcraft

My mistake. Mine is a Model 10 pump.
Old October 5, 2009, 01:24 PM   #8
DG45

Yeah, "fragile" is not a word that you would normally associate with a Model 11 Remington shotgun. Pick one up sometime and you'll see. They are about as sturdy and tough and rock-solid reliable as any moderately priced shotgun has ever been, anywhere. The Remington Model 11 was THE American semi-auto shotgun of the first half of the Twentieth Century and my understanding is that the main reason that they stopped manufacturing them after WWII was that it became impossible to continue producing that high quality a gun for the prices that its moderate income American market demanded. (I've read or heard that there was a lot of hand-fitting involved in producing Model 11's that was eliminated in its' successor, the Remington Model 11-48.)