The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 28, 2007, 11:46 PM   #1
Kato_Guy

lee bullet seating probs!!?!?!?

ok everyone I finally got my bench all coated with poly and stuff and had just mounted my lee chalenger press. I resized a few 223 rounds just playing around. I got the few cases sized and tried seating a bullet.

My problem is I did everything the web site said. And I cannot get the bullet seated beyond 2.23" I am loading h vmax and trying to get 2.20" as per my manual! I will go step by step.

1. raise the arm.
2. Screw die down to the ram. (the adjustment screw and lock screw are backed out.)
3. tighten the lock ring.
4. put the bullet in and seat until desired depth. adjust seater until desired depth.

I am using the shell holder that came with the 223 deluxe die set. I screw the seeater in and all the further in I can get it is 2.23". What the heck am I doing wrong??? mind you these are just dummy rounds still making sure I can get this right first before I even buy powder!!

Its like my seater doesn't go down far enough to seat the bullet!!

Please help asap I am lost and won't be able to sleep good until I get this figured out!!?!!!?
Old March 1, 2007, 08:54 AM   #2
Marlin.357

Missing seating plug?

Just guessing here, but sounds like the seating plug is missing or too short.
Old March 1, 2007, 09:01 AM   #3
.45 Vet

How easily does the bullet start by hand, do you have enough flare(belling), on the re-sized case. I'd also check the seater plug in your die...
Old March 1, 2007, 09:20 AM   #4
Kato_Guy

the bullets starts with just a little hand pressure. I looked inside the die and saw something in there. its tough to explain there is a ring thats a little bit smaller than the die ? The inside of my rcbs die looks the same as my lee (the bullet seaters, but diff caliber). I think I will call lee and talk to them.

I back out the seating adjustment and I can hear the seater rattle around in there! is that normal?

its frustrating I did everything exactly the way the video says its like there isn't enough adjustment in the die to push the bullet into the case!!

Let the headaches begin!!

thanks for helping everyone!!
Old March 1, 2007, 09:24 AM   #5
sanson

marlin357 got it
Old March 1, 2007, 09:45 AM   #6
rwilson452

the rattle is normal. the seating stem floats to allow the bullet to center in the case. IF you take the die apart the stem should be shaped sort of like a bolt. with a head on one end and an inverted cone on the other. the cone end is the end that should mate with the bullet.
Old March 1, 2007, 09:50 AM   #7
sanson

I'm gonna go check my LEE die to see if there's a # stamped on that seating plug. maybe you got the wrong one in there
Old March 1, 2007, 10:05 AM   #8
sanson

just checked, the seating plug inside the die is: 1,13/32" long.. just a rod with one end cut straight(no head) and the other end has a hollowed-out coneshape indent for the bullet tip
Old March 1, 2007, 10:06 AM   #9
Kato_Guy

I took the seater apart there is a bolt looking thing except no hex top on it. There is no number on the bullet seateronly on the die body (LEE-223-b6).

I tried seating it by hand when it was all apart and I couldn't get any different results. I just tried to see how far in I could push the bullet. ya know pulled the seating adjustment off pulleed the seater out. slid the bullet in and pushed the seater down by hand and still same results.

I used my caliper and mine is 1.49" long and just found a ruler and yea mine is one 1 13/32 as well
Old March 1, 2007, 10:08 AM   #10
sanson

measure that seating plug it should be 1,13/32" long
Old March 1, 2007, 10:36 AM   #11
Kato_Guy

yea mine is that same lenght 1 13/32".
Old March 1, 2007, 10:56 AM   #12
sanson

i gotta think some more....
Old March 1, 2007, 11:32 AM   #13
Kato_Guy

I have been thinking all night. I think there is something wrong with the dies metal is on metal it cannpt push anymore. I will call lee and see what they have to say I will let you know what they say.

Maybe I am just an idiot and dont know what I am doing!!

we will see!!
Old March 1, 2007, 11:47 AM   #14
Kato_Guy

ok everyone I just got off the phone with the people at lee and they told me: the 223 was not disigned to load a 40gr bullet. My seater is not long enough to push it down.

they are going to send me a new seat and see if it works. If it doesn't I am going to have to send them a dummy round with the depth that I can get and info on the depth that I want as well as my seating plugs!!

this is frustrating. I really dont wanna sit around and wait to get everything!!
Old March 1, 2007, 12:48 PM   #15
DaveInGA

Kato,

Relax and don't get worked up. This type of thing is part and parcel if you're using something that's a bit non-standard. Dies and other mechanical devices have to be designed to cover a wide range, but cannot cover 100% of variations out there.

That said, Lee is working with you and only asking for the things they need to help you get up and going. I suspect they'll make you a floating insert to get you up and going at no or very little charge.

So long term, you'll be set and this will just be a memory. I'm not sure you'd have anything different with any other manufacturer's die set when it comes to the ends of the range.

Be patient and let Lee fix it for you.

Regards,

Dave
Old March 1, 2007, 01:46 PM   #16
Kato_Guy

yea, I know its one of those things I wanna just get going. They were really nice at lee. I will just hang out and get started when I can.

thanks for everything.

I will let you know when I get everything going!!
Old March 1, 2007, 02:02 PM   #17
Abstract

I'd highly recommend the Lee seating die that comes with the Collet Die set. It won't crimp, but it does a great job of seating. I've loaded 40gr. bullets, using mine.
Old March 1, 2007, 02:12 PM   #18
Kato_Guy

i bought the deluxe set. I can use the regular seating die for an all around bullet?? punching paper and the little hunting that I do(getting into coyote hunting)?? I don't need a fcd??
Old March 1, 2007, 02:28 PM   #19
sanson

OK, now I get it.. your bullet is too short. most 223 loads are with 50-60gr bullets. lee supplies the seating plug for the most commonly used bullets. sounds like they are sending you a longer one for your non-standard bullets.
Old March 1, 2007, 02:39 PM   #20
Abstract

You don't need the fcd, unless you're planning on crimping. I don't crimp my .223 ammo.
Old March 2, 2007, 04:48 PM   #21
Marlin.357

Haven't tried it only but..

You might see if you can use a washer or something you have laying around as a spacer until the longer seater plug shows up from Lee. Heavy cardboard may even work since you only need .03".
Old March 3, 2007, 09:42 AM   #22
Kato_Guy

the seater is completely to the bottom. I tried to puch it down with the top adjuster off and still nothing I will just hang out til lee gets back to me!! I guess I will just have to play around with the 270 wsm and get the hang of it with them for now!
Old March 7, 2007, 05:33 PM   #23
Kato_Guy

I got my bullet seater from lee today!! I tried it out right away ant it works!!! I seated the bullet just above what I had said before. I got it down to 2.21". There is room to go I am just going to talk to a guy I know that reloads before I get too carried away. After I talk to him It will be time to start with the powder and primers!!!

Very Happy with lee customer service!!

Thank you all for helping me out with everything!!
and for putting up with all my questions!!!

kyle

Last edited by Kato_Guy; March 7, 2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old March 7, 2007, 10:16 PM   #24
swmike

Is the 2.20 Overal Length you refer to a Minimum or suggested length in your reloading data?

What type of gun will you shoot these rounds in?

I load all my .223 to a 2.250 COL using a 62gr bullet. As a rule, the longer cartridge OAL will yield the better accuracy. Some reloading data lists a minimum COL in order to not compress the powder load.

"In God we trust, all others are suspects."

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, either I won't need any more, or more won't be of any help".

Old March 8, 2007, 12:02 AM   #25
Kato_Guy

my gun is a win mod70 stealth 223. I am going by what my book says. it says 2.260" max but for the 40 gr vmax it says coal 2.200". Is this too short or what? I measured some other rounds of mine and the winchester jhp are 2.212"

It is out of a book that is a complete guide for 223. these are pages out of the hornady book!

remember I am new to this so if 2.200" is a min oal I am able to extend it out however I would like either untill it the bullet gets too close to the end of the brass or too close to the lands. I would just like to follow something that I know is safe for now and experiment once I get the hang of things. but if that is too short and not safe I better not do it!