The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2007, 04:52 PM   #1
dgc940

Need advice on where to go from here. Groups

I have a load that I can consistently get 1/2 moa or a little smaller.
I have narrowed down the charge and found the best I think col and several groups hit perfectly horizontal like a strait line and touching. should this be telling me something? Today it did it again five shots side by side measuring
.508 I want to get it in the 4's. It just seems odd that they are landing like this and it should be telling me to do something because most groups In my time of reloading just hit in circular random.

[url]http://i15

Last edited by dgc940; February 11, 2007 at 05:12 PM. Reason: add
Old February 11, 2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

You apparently have a horizontal vibration component. These are usually caused by assymetrical recoil on the horizontal axis. Try changing the stock posiiton on your shoulder to see whether it increases or decreases?

Another possibility is that you have unfortunate timing in the compression wave that travels the barrel after firing. This can cause stringing along an unexpected axis. I would suggest you read through Dan Newberry's Optimal Charge Weight concept and try firing his round robin of targets described at that link, centered at your current charge weight. (Also, click on his home page to get more on the concept.) See if you find a group where the horizontal tightens up without losing vertical grouping? Or, at least, shrink the horizontal and grow the vertical until the two are just equal.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 11, 2007, 05:14 PM   #3
dgc940

I have read that before and found it interesting!
On the stringing if I change the charge or the COL the stringing will go away for good its not a problem per say. I just thought it may be a indicater as what to do next?
Old February 11, 2007, 05:39 PM   #4
Bullet94

Could it be because of wind?
Old February 11, 2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Trapper L

There are several things that cause horizontal shot strings. How is the trigger pull? If it is hard or not consistent you can have strings like this. Were you shooting from bags? Not using bags correctly is probably the most common cause of horizontal shot strings. Make sure the rifle is level with every shot and that the bags are holding the rifle, not you. Another cause is bedding. Check the barrel/stock clearance. When the barrel is hot, does the stock push on the barrel? I noticed that you are using Varget. I assume that this is for a 22-250 by the load data. You may want to try a change of primers. Sometimes with these overbore cases primers can cause this type of stringing. And then there is the parallax that can be of the horizontal type only. Bag the rifle up real good and have it on target, without touching the rifle, run your eye back and forth horizontally looking thru the scope. Does the crosshair move on the target? If so, you have parallax in the scope. If it has an adjustable objective, move the ring until the crosshair stays on the target and isn't moving. Stringing of any kind can make a guy bald. Be patient and work with it. From the targets it looks like you have a good shooter, just needs some dialing in.
Old February 12, 2007, 12:31 AM   #6
amamnn

I'd eliminate every possible shooter error before looking any further. 9 of 10 times that's the problem in cases like yours.
Old February 12, 2007, 12:37 AM   #7
hoghunting

I would also check the barrel channel for any pressure on the left or right side of the barrel.