The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 10, 2013, 07:50 PM   #26
TailGator

So, Kathy, have you tried the P238? Since you don't seem to be a fan of the LCP, I am kind of wondering if you share my good impressions of the Sig.
Old July 11, 2013, 12:26 AM   #27
pax

Yep, I love the little Sig, too. It's an excellent tiny gun. Not a beginner's gun by any stretch, but a good tool.

pax
Old July 11, 2013, 12:26 AM   #28
redhologram

TailGator,
I'll speak up and say I absolutely love my 238. And like your wife, I like the way it conceals in female fashions. I carry mine in a cross draw position, IWB, and it makes the grip disappear because it is flush against my stomach. I can sometimes carry appendix on my right side if my top is more loose fit, but the grip, as small as it is, still wants to poke outwards and print if not careful.
I can't dress much around my gun like people always say, because I'm having to dress around some surgical enhancements already that already make shopping an issue.
But my 238 is one of the best shooting guns I own.
Old July 12, 2013, 12:48 AM   #29
LRChops

LCP=Ladies Compact Pistol!!!!

.380 is a no go! Only good as a back up to your back up!
Old July 12, 2013, 01:27 AM   #30
allaroundhunter

Re: Wife wants an LCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRChops View Post

Yep, you know that little .380, only as good as spitting watermelon seeds

But thanks for the contribution...
Old July 12, 2013, 08:20 AM   #31
redhologram

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRChops

That is a complete chauvinistic and inappropriate comment to be making. All it does is shows your complete ignorance and lack of knowledge. However, with that mentality, you should have no compunction with standing there and letting someone with a .380 put a round or two in you, with one of those "ladies compact pistols" and see how much bovine excretion you want to talk then.
Old July 12, 2013, 07:19 PM   #32
Dashunde

Quote:
Dont look now! The zombies are coming!

(and the sky is falling)

Edit..
Wait a second... the only the only Placer Co I could find is in California, no?
So...380 is a backup to what? A pocket knife?

Last edited by Dashunde; July 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old July 13, 2013, 09:25 AM   #33
WadCutter1

My girlfriend bought an LCP right after I got mine. She likes if a lot and it's the only thing she feels she can conceal well.

For those of you that say a .380 isn't "powerful" enough, try getting shot in the thoracic with it. I'm willing to bet you'd change your mind
Old July 13, 2013, 08:33 PM   #34
Rottiegarf

Nice gun but the trigger pull is quite long. You really need to get use to it.
Old July 13, 2013, 08:55 PM   #35
Garycw

Wife wants an LCP

If going with a 380 I 2nd the sig 238. It's the nicest , best shooting 380 I have.
Old July 13, 2013, 09:17 PM   #36
Cheapshooter

Quote:
That is a fact well known to such great gun experts as Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny! They know that weak rounds like 380, 9MM, and 38 Spcl. are totally useless. Those experts carry nothing less than 45 ACP!

Quote:
Wife wants an LCP
That should say It all!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 13, 2013, 10:49 PM   #37
MissPistol

I am with Pete2

Why can't she have whatever variety of guns suit her? I (for one) like it when guys get their gals cool stuff the gal wants.
Old July 14, 2013, 07:29 AM   #38
Garycw

Wife wants an LCP

When she gets he little pocket gun, she need to check out those little holsters that clip under shirt to center piece of bra. Very cool, very concealed and very fast draw.
http://youtu.be/h8r6CY5UZyw
Old July 14, 2013, 07:42 AM   #39
CWKahrFan

For a tiny gun with minimal sights, the accuracy of my Elsie Pea always amazes me at the range... Those guns are shooters!

A 10-rd. Promag adds a lot to its versatility... More fun at the range... Gives a nice grip besides making it quite a formidable 11-rd. weapon.
Old July 14, 2013, 08:33 PM   #40
MJFlores

LCP

I just bought an "Enhanced" LCP a week ago. Very pleased with it. Doesn't get any better in an ultra concealable carry gun. I find the recoil to be nothing to be concerned about....it is a .380 afterall. One thing that shocks me is it's extreme accuracy. The enhanced model has much improved trigger and sites making it a totally different gun than the first gen LCPs. As for .380 not being anything, or being a ladies gun? Pop a .380 FMJ into someone and then ask them what they think. If they're still alive they'll tell you all about how formidable of a gun they are.
Old July 14, 2013, 10:45 PM   #41
Fixed Sight Training

For another $50 you can get an LC-9. Similar or maybe even more manageable recoil, similar size and weight and much, much cheaper to practice with.
Old July 15, 2013, 02:50 AM   #42
mellow_c

I second PAX's opinion on the LCP... it's a little beast. It does hurt like hell after just a few rounds. It snaps up upon recoil and the trigger guard gives your trigger finger a good crack every time.

However, I love it. It's a great shooter, and if you know what your doing, you can be very accurate with it. It's the best concealing gun I've ever encountered. And honestly, I love it...

But beware... it's not for an inexperienced shooter. If the wife knows what she's doing, and gets a chance to shoot one, and decides she's woman enough, she'll be real happy with it.

But if she's anything like my buddies wife... she'll get it... brag about it, talk about how nice and small it is... then take it to the range and watch everyone else shoot it because she cant hit anything with it and it actually scares her a little.

P.S. I found that slipping a bit of bicycle inter tube over the grip makes it much easier to handle, but it's not too sticky to get a good pull from your pocket. I would recommend a pocket holster for it, and there are some pretty decent inside the waist band holsters for it too... That thing really disappears when used for concealed carry.

This is my experience with the "old" one... I didnt even know about the new one till I read this thread. Obviously the sights on the new one are a big bonus. But I wonder about the trigger, yeah it's shorter and lighter, but does it still come all the way back to the frame like the old one? I guess a better question would be, where does it break?

Last edited by mellow_c; July 15, 2013 at 03:01 AM.
Old July 15, 2013, 03:17 AM   #43
Old Stony

Not a lot of women around that would want to practice with the LCP. They can do a reasonable job of what they are supposed to do, but not much fun to shoot. I always figure if a woman has a handgun she is comfortable with shooting, there is more likelihood of her carrying it and actually being able to hit something with it. Once a little handgun bruises some knuckles, the fun is over and they are intimidated with them.
My wife isn't gun shy and can shoot .45's and whatever, but she does better with a smaller caliber. She took her concealled class with a Springfield EMP and did quite good with it.
I have a stable of guns that she can carry, but I encourage her to carry a J frame S&W she has in .32 mag, that she handles well. No safeties to deal with and she can empty it pretty quick on a man sized target.
The ladies prefer little cute handguns, but it's not the best normally for them.
Old July 15, 2013, 05:58 AM   #44
Garycw

Wife wants an LCP

I like the sig 238 best, But if choosing between the LCP and the TCP I would choose the TCP.
They both are very small, light and snappy to shoot. The TCP just felt better to me and less money too w/ two mags. Polished the feed ramp on one and have Never had a FTF FTE or any problems.
The 238 is my favorite though. Only slightly larger and heavier. Love the little 1911 style, surprisingly comfortable to shoot.
Old July 15, 2013, 12:17 PM   #45
MJFlores

My GF fired my LCP a week ago...3 mags later she wanted her own and will be buying one soon. She has very limited firearms experience beyond a Ruger 10/22. I really have no clue as to what people are talking about as far as recoil. I've only shot 50 rounds at a time but I just don't have anything to complain about. The recoil is almost nothing. If it's hurting your hand and the trigger guard is hitting your finger, adjust your grip...don't go on a website and tell everyone you don't know how to hold a handgun. I consider the recoil to by mild...and the gun is fun to shoot. The accuracy is really a wonder....how such a short barreled small gun is so accurate is amazing. As for comparing the Sig to the LCP. Why would you do that? Completely different sized handguns. The Sig will never disappear in your jeans front packet like the LCP will...it's just not designed to. With guns you have to always compare apples to apples...and there's a lot of different kind of apples.
Old July 15, 2013, 01:17 PM   #46
chaim

I have an LCP and it is a good little pistol. It is reliable and unlike so many who complain about the recoil, I find it surprisingly comfortable to shoot considering the size. It is more accurate than you'd expect with the terrible sights, but it takes quite a bit of getting used to.

My only complaint (other than the weak caliber) is the sights are terrible. In a low light SD situation I would want a lot more. I almost never carry this gun, though since I don't live in a carry state I am only a part-time CCWer (the couple times a month I'm in VA, WV or PA). If I lived in a shall-issue state and carried everyday, the light weight and ease of concealment might win out and it may get a lot more use, but as it stands now I go for slightly larger and heavier guns with better sights and more substantial defensive calibers (primarily my SIG P290RS, but also a S&W 442, Taurus 85, and sometimes others). You know the sights are bad when snubby sights are better.

If I was to do it again, I'd either spend a little extra to get the LCP with laser sights (I can add them now after the fact, but the package Ruger sells with the LCP and laser sights is cheaper than adding them later), or I'd go with the Taurus TCP.
Old July 15, 2013, 01:41 PM   #47
Cheapshooter

Quote:
it's a little beast. It does hurt like hell after just a few rounds.
Quote:
They can do a reasonable job of what they are supposed to do, but not much fun to shoot.
These types of comments about the LCP never fail to amaze, and mystify!
I have shot a lot of all sorts of ammo (excluding the misnamed, over pressure +P) through my Elsie, and have never noticed anything close to punishing recoil. From Winchester white box to Speer Good Dot, Remington Golden Saber, Winchester PDX1, and my chosen carry round Hornady Critical Defense.
The very first range session with Elsie was close to 200 completely pain free, reliable, and accurate rounds.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 15, 2013, 02:01 PM   #48
jknight8907

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed Sight Training View Post
For another $50 you can get an LC-9. Similar or maybe even more manageable recoil, similar size and weight and much, much cheaper to practice with.
The LC9 is substantially larger and heavier than the LCP.
Old July 15, 2013, 02:46 PM   #49
Old Stony

As I can see the situation, folks can debate your purchase of the Ruger for you wife until they are all upset about your wife's or your decision and it won't make any difference anyway.
I would suggest you just purchase one for her and she will either like it or not, but it is a win win situation for you. Either way she will be happy with your support of her, she will probably cook you something really good, bring you beer and your slippers at night and do all those little things that endear themselves to you.
No matter what gun people suggest, you just can't lose on this one by just buying her what she asks for.
Old July 15, 2013, 07:24 PM   #50
led0321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Stony View Post
As I can see the situation, folks can debate your purchase of the Ruger for you wife until they are all upset about your wife's or your decision and it won't make any difference anyway.
I would suggest you just purchase one for her and she will either like it or not, but it is a win win situation for you. Either way she will be happy with your support of her, she will probably cook you something really good, bring you beer and your slippers at night and do all those little things that endear themselves to you.
No matter what gun people suggest, you just can't lose on this one by just buying her what she asks for.
Truth....