The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 23, 2011, 03:35 PM   #1
tahunua001

45ACP heavy loads

hello all.
I am in the process of acquiring a 45ACP conversion for an enfield #4 and though it would primarily for hunting soup cans and killing paper plates I would like to develop a round for close range(within 100 yards) coyote to deer sized game. I am thinking of using a hornady 250gr FTX(.452) for the bullet and for brass I am thinking of CCI blazer brass or federal red box. I am not very versed with reloading and have virtually no literature on the subject. my main questions are

1.what is the normal powder charge for a standard 230gr round?
2. what is the standard charge for a +P 230gr?
3. what is the absolute max charge you would use? this is going to be a bolt action supported chamber so it'll probably be more able to handle heavy loads than a semi and would be able to maximize velocity better than a blowback system.
4. what powder type is normally used for 45ACP?
Old October 23, 2011, 05:08 PM   #2
Ralph Allen

Your "conversion" must use some sort of magic bullet? 45 just doesn't fit into .303 without quite a bit of trouble!
Ralph
Old October 23, 2011, 05:25 PM   #3
jonnyc

Pretty common conversion, I did it also. I got the kit from Special Interest Arms. It wasn't difficult to do, and the rifle is a hoot to shoot. I load for it using .45 SUPER information. Just be VERY CAREFUL TO KEEP .45 SUPER AMMO AWAY FROM .45 ACP FIREARMS!!!
Old October 23, 2011, 05:47 PM   #4
Shotgun693

I'd kinda like to see how you get a .45 bullet down a .311 barrel?
Old October 23, 2011, 06:42 PM   #5
gwalchmai

There's good load info for .45ACP with 250gr bullets in Speer #13, and I assume #14. From your question I would recommend reading that or a similar good reloading manual.

Sounds like an interesting conversion.
Old October 23, 2011, 07:34 PM   #6
oldpapps

tahunua001, this is almost a continuation from you other thread.

My normal loading for the .45 is 5.6 gr of 231 for any and all bullets. I see no reason any normal .45 ACP loading wouldn't work.
However, for your theoretical loading, I would stay away from lead. I would go with the heaviest jacketed bullet I could get and work with loading data for the 45 Winchester Magnum. Looking more to the slowest burning powder listed to make the most from the longer barrel. I gain only 124 FPS when going from my 5 inch 1911 barrel to my 16.5 inch Marlin (846 to 970fps). With say the 300 gr jacketed bullet, seating it out to the point that the loaded round would NOT fit into a Magazine (unless you are loading from one). I would mark the loads, a quick dip of the bullet into some red paint or something of the sort.
Working up a load would be a hoot. With the normal LP primers, moving to LR primers for the more progressive pressures.
How is the weather out there? Cooling off any? Bless you and those you are with.
Yep, gona have to start looking for a shot out SMLE for my conversion to 44.

OSOK
Old October 23, 2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Lost Sheep

That would be a mighty fine forcing cone

Ralph Allen. Shotgun 693,

I imagine the conversion kit either has a very long freebore/forcing cone to swage the .451 diameter bullet down to .311. Either that, or a 45 caliber barrel.

tahunua001? What parts came in the conversion kit? Sounds interesting.

I would mark the brass with a file notch on the extractor rim or something and work up loads from scratch. You will probably get overpressure signs from the primer or the case head, or case mouth splitting before you stress the action.

There is a thread somewhere that lists about 20 signs of pressure. Do a search.

Watch out for bullet selection. Coyotes are fairly thin-skinned, so ordinary 45 ACP bullets would do, but driving them substantially faster than normal, they may break up easier than optimal. For tougher animals, like deer, a tougher bullet will likely be needed to prevent undue suffering.

Good luck and kudos for embarking on this venture.

Lost Sheep
Old October 23, 2011, 09:40 PM   #8
tahunua001

Quote:
Pretty common conversion, I did it also. I got the kit from Special Interest Arms. It wasn't difficult to do, and the rifle is a hoot to shoot. I load for it using .45 SUPER information. Just be VERY CAREFUL TO KEEP .45 SUPER AMMO AWAY FROM .45 ACP FIREARMS!!!
the special interest kit is the one I am going to get. keeping the ammo seperate is my biggest concern because I do have a 45ACP handgun.

oldpapps, this thread is more of a topic shift from the last thread. that was researching the kits and getting me pointed in the right direction for the gun itself, rather than having it bounce back and forth between ammo and rifle I figured I would start this so thatthe other could remain geared towards the gun and this could be the ammo discussion.

and what is all this nonsense about a .311 barrel? do people assume a 9mm ar15 conversion has a 5.56mm barrel? yes the conversion has a 45ACP barrel included in the kit
Old October 23, 2011, 09:58 PM   #9
jonnyc

The kit has a barrel, ejector, magazine, and magazine housing. I use only .45 SUPER headstamped brass in it, and I've stained the bottom half of all of them with Brass Black. I tried lead and plated bullets, but they were no good. I now only use 230 grain FMJ and XTP JHPs. If you do the rifle's headspace right you shouldn't have any serious overpressure issues. It is really tough to fill a .45 ACP-sized case with enough pistol powder to concern a No.4 action.
The only issue I've had with the whole conversion is that the ejection is periodically weak. I also got luck with the No.4 junker I bought, it was already professionally D&T'd. Had to take it to a 'smith to remove the old barrel, a real bitch of a job without a lathe. Other than that I did all the rest myself with hand tools. Very happy with the results.
Enjoy.
Old October 23, 2011, 10:13 PM   #10
tahunua001

thanks johnnyc, I am starting to shift gears on the whole idea of loading up those 450 bushmaster bullets into a ACP case at this point just out of my deference to safety. I think I may just get the 45 super and forget my once "brilliant" load idea. I'm only seeing buffalo bore ammo though. does anyone else make it or do you just have to drop whatever hollowpoints meetyour fancy?
Old October 23, 2011, 10:33 PM   #11
jonnyc

I found 230gr XTPs cheaply so went with those. No real need to reinvent the wheel. A good load of Power Pistol should take you where you want to go.
Old October 24, 2011, 01:56 AM   #12
Lost Sheep

Cast lead is possible.

If you want cast lead, I think solids cast of the alloys intended for the 454 Casull, or .452" diameter Casull bullets would do.

Lost Sheep
Old October 24, 2011, 02:37 PM   #13
tahunua001

not really a fan of soft lead, I dont like having to clean little strips of lead out of my barrel after every couple hundred rounds
Old October 24, 2011, 02:40 PM   #14
gwalchmai

Slug your barrel and size your boolilts to fit the barrel. Then they won't lead.
Old October 24, 2011, 06:01 PM   #15
m&p45acp10+1

I agree with what he said for slugging the bore. Fit it king when it comes to keeping a barrel from leading. Also some of the softer alloys work just dandy fine when kept to reasonable velocities when not gas checked.
Old October 25, 2011, 11:18 AM   #16
AlaskaMike

Quote:
not really a fan of soft lead, I dont like having to clean little strips of lead out of my barrel after every couple hundred rounds
I haven't seen anyone suggest using soft lead. Plain wheel weight alloy should work perfectly fine, assuming proper bullet fit as the others have mentioned. Most any commercial cast bullet would satisfy both these requirements.

On the other hand, if you just don't want to want to use cast bullets then that's perfectly fine.