The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old January 9, 2000, 12:40 AM   #1
jeffelkins

http://www.chucktaylorasaa.com/index.htm

Any opinions regarding Chuck Taylor's ASAA training courses? My wife and I are considering taking his Tactical Handgun course in Ft. Lauderdale

Jeff
Old January 10, 2000, 03:50 AM   #2
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I dont know about Chuck - some of his stuff is outdated. I gues I aint a Taylor fan - but I would try the Blackwater or Mid-South operations. I found both to be above par.

If you do go - give us a full report of Taylor's class. I am curious.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
Old January 13, 2000, 03:37 AM   #3
blades67

If Mr. Taylor is still teaching students the Speed Rock draw, wherein you rock back at the waist while drawing and firing as soon as the muzzle is leveled atop the holster, ask him to demo this technique up against a wall or car, with a dummy gun for safety, as a student from the class attacks with a rubber knife, or bare hands, from 7-10 meters. If he can make it work, see if you can. He might be able to make it work, but I'd bet money the "attacker" will get his hands on Mr. Taylor before his pistol has cleared the holster. I am not saying you won't learn something from Mr. Taylor, just be aware that paying big money for big names doesn't mean all the techniques work in the real world, no matter what Mr. Taylor tells you. You will be a better shooter, and a better shot, after taking one of his courses, but the same is true of Marty Hayes or Clint Smith or... well you get the picture.
Remember to question everything, and then test it.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

[This message has been edited by blades67 (edited January 30, 2000).]
Old January 13, 2000, 10:50 AM   #4
BigG

My, do I detect a bit of cynicism? I love it! LMAO!!

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG

Old January 14, 2000, 01:54 AM   #5
blades67

After rereading my previous post I realized that I may have come across as criticizing Mr. Taylor's teaching of the Speed Rock, but that is not entirely what I meant. What I mean to convey is a sense of reality. Just because someone, be it Chuck Taylor, Marty Hayes, Clint Smith, whoever, says this technique is the answer to that problem, doesn't make it so. I have seen people spend large sums of money on training only to find out the hard way that the training was flawed. Just make it a point to test the techniques against somebody that doesn't know they aren't able to beat the draw, or that the weapon in their hand is supposed to pop right out when you use the latest disarm technique. You learn more that way. It is just amazing to watch a well rehearsed technique fall apart because some amateur didn't know it wasn't supposed to happen this way or that.

Question everything.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

[This message has been edited by blades67 (edited January 30, 2000).]
Old January 14, 2000, 03:05 PM   #6
BigG

Blades: What you said. I guess that's why I liked reading PlusP's website, he pooh-poohed all that IPSC IDPS FBI and any other alphabet soup stuff you can think of. I have continually chuckled at the latest tactic of the month depicted in the gunzines. Chuck Taylor's articles (and most other G-writers) would not pass 6th grade English composition.
Then we are supposed to take their Holy positions seriously? In a recent gunzine I saw Chuck holding a big 4 cell Mag Lite directly in front of his jaw with a 45 in the other hand, both right in front of his face. An old scrapper would drive that down his throat with a blow before he knew what hit 'im. These guys are comical, except they are charging good money to train people! I consider it a ripoff, unless you consider it entertainment.

At the risk of sounding iconoclastic, I question the ol' Colonel, (Jefferson Davis Cooper) hisself! LOL

No flame intended, just my observations!

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson
If you have to shoot a man, shoot him in the guts, it may not kill him... sometimes they die slow, but it'll paralyze his brain and arm and the fight is all but over Wild Bill Hickok
Remember: When you attempt to rationalize two inconsistent positions, you risk drowning as your own sewage backs up.
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG