The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 10, 2002, 02:17 PM   #1
Ben Shepherd

Knife for CCW???????

I know most people on this board carry a knife of some sort as a backup, or where guns just aren't practical.

I've been carrying my gerber gator for this purpose. It's just an all-around knife, hunting, fishing, etc.

I want to get a dedicated knife for ccw, quality being far more important than cost, but I'm confused: Everyone lists this or that type of steel for the blade. Is there someone on this board that can explain what the different types and numbers mean???

I just don't want to pay top dollar for a piece of junk.

Thanks in advance.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old October 10, 2002, 11:22 PM   #2
imadork

http://www.bladeforums.com/features/faqsteel.shtml
Old October 11, 2002, 09:00 AM   #3
Snowdog

The Benchmade Stryker

This is an excellent production knife with a lifetime warranty since it's built to last. Free factory sharpenings if you'll pay the shipping ( However, I doubt anyone does this).

I've had my Stryker since they first came out around 3 or 4 years ago... carry and use it daily and still shows no wear other than the "Black-T" finish". If you go this route, opt for the bead-blasted plain blade.

To accompany the photo below, copied from a Benchmade dealer:

Quote:
The Stryker™ a high-end tactical knife has a Tanto style blade of ATS-34 stainless steel at 59-61 RC. The black G-10 handle scales support double titanium liners. Other features include an ambidextrous thumb disk for easy one hand opening and a modified locking liner. Made in the USA.

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-
Old October 11, 2002, 09:18 AM   #4
Hard Ball

For your intended use it is hard to beat an Emerson Commander. I have carried one for years with perfect satisfaction. My wife also loves hers.
Old October 11, 2002, 09:27 AM   #5
Betty

First, find out what the laws are in your state. In TN, you can carry a knife with a blade up to 4", as long as it's not an auto or gravity knife (unless you're LEO or military).

I like a knife that is good for utility as well as as defense, though I abhor the thought of actually using one for defense. It's got to be extremely bloody and messy. Yeech.

I recommend something that can be deployed quickly, like a small fixed blade knife, a thumb-hole or thumb-stud opening knife (the BM Stryker has a thumb disc), and has a sheath or belt clip so you're not fumbling around at the bottom of your pocket. I also choose a knife that I can grip well and won't have my hands slide over the blade during a deep thrust.

I have carried or carry currently:

FOLDER WITH THUMB HOLES/STUDS/DISCS
- BM AFCK (personal favorite; it has a big thumb hole)
- BM Stryker (thumb disc)
- BM Mini Dark Star (stud)
- Masters of Defense (I know, silly name, but great knives!) Duane Dieter Mk. II (ambidextrous thumb studs)
- MOD Ladyhawk (talon shaped blade, ambi studs)
- Try some Spyderco knives - they are of decent quality, price, and have the big thumb hole
- Also look at the Emerson knives with the "Wave" system - it allows you to open the knife quickly from the pocket.

FIXED BLADE/NECK KNIVES
- MOD Razorback
- TOPS UTE
- Microtech Medallion
- BM Nimravus Cub

I prefer black coated blades over bead blasted. Bead blasted blades soak up sweat and create a nice little breeding ground for rust if you're not observant. Black-coated blades will scuff and not look so pretty after hard use.

Surf through
One Stop Knife Shop to see all the knives.
Old October 11, 2002, 09:37 AM   #6
ronin308

I would get just a regular old folder like a Benchmade, Spyderco, CRKT, etc. right now. Then I would call Kevin "Mad Dog" McClung and have him make you a fixed blade. The wait on his knives is fairly long right now but they're probably the best knives out there.

http://www.mdenterprise.com
Old October 11, 2002, 09:43 AM   #7
fignozzle

Ben,

Either of the knives Hardball and Snowdog (By-Tor says hi) recommend are GREAT knives, and you'll pay a premium for them.
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING is better than an Emerson.

IF you want a little more "value-priced" offering, I'd recommend something from CRKT. Columbia River knives are VERY reasonably priced for the quality you get.
Here are some examples:
http://www.crkt.com/ryansevn.html

http://www.crkt.com/prowler.html

http://www.crkt.com/crawkasp.html

Just my 2 rubles.

Love People.
Use Things.
Do not confuse the two.

Grey Tribesman
Old October 11, 2002, 12:33 PM   #8
Snowdog

Hmm, I thought I vanquished the dreaded By-tor and was victorious... that's what Geddy said anyway.
Oh well, I suppose you must never assume.

Brevity Is The Soul of Wit.

-Shakespeare-
Old October 11, 2002, 12:43 PM   #9
fignozzle

What kind of knives were available to Snowdog in the Tobes of Hades? Bone, flint?
Gary Weinrib and Al Zivojinovich might know...

A little OT, so we might oughta take it to PM/email, but there is something about their music (post-Rutsey, of course) that evokes mental imagery for me that no other artist does....

[email protected]

Love People.
Use Things.
Do not confuse the two.

Grey Tribesman
Old October 11, 2002, 01:31 PM   #10
scotjute

The biggest point is to always have a knife with you at the time.
Then begin to look at how to improve what you carry.

Just briefly on the more commonly found steels:
1095 is a plain carbon steel that has excellent strength, very good hardness/edge retention. It will rust. It is easy to sharpen.
420 is a stainless steel that has good strength but poor hardness and edge retention. This is normally considered "junk stainless".
440A is the standard stainless steel used in knives. It has good strength, hardness, edge retention. It can be difficult to sharpen.
440C is found in better grade of knives. Has good strength, excellent hardness/edge retention. Difficult to sharpen.
There are also several other "tool steels" that make even better knife blades than these mentioned. The knives they will be found are usually higher-priced than the more common steels listed above. Also improper quenching/heat treatments can ruin an otherwise fine steel. Typically, knives from well known companies (American, European, Japan, etc.) for example will use properly heat-treated steels, whereas no-name knives may or may not be properly heat-treated steels.
Read the article in bladeforums. It should go in more in-depth.
Hope that helps.
Old October 11, 2002, 02:33 PM   #11
dairycreek

I carry a Spyderco Policeman.

It is a large knife in stainless steel. Has a clip on it so that carrying it in the waistband of the pants is both concealable and handy. FWIW.
Old October 11, 2002, 03:30 PM   #12
Cowdogpete

Take a look at the Smith & Wesson SWAT knife. Its one of the better values out there. You can buy a better knife (Cold Steel, Benchmade, etc) but they will cost considerable more.

I carry a Millinium Run S.W.A.T every day. It is a good size, good quality, available either serrated or smooth, easy opening...and costs about $35.00.

Check it out.
Old October 11, 2002, 05:04 PM   #13
Blackhawk

Don't forget about the guy who brought a knife to a gun fight.

If you pull a knife to defend yourself, are you going to be viewed as righteous in your locale to an interloping LEO or handgun licensee?

Isn't the idea sort of like the rock-scissors-paper game? About the only BG weapon a knife trumps is fists. It equals another knife with equal knife fighting skills, and it's a provocation against a BG (or even a GG!) with a gun or club.

If you haven't guessed, any worthwhile knife is illegal where I spend most of my time....
Old October 11, 2002, 10:54 PM   #14
Sodbuster

Bob Dozier makes excellent knives at a fair price. D2 steel. I carry his Arkansas Toothpick found at http://www.dozierknives.com/

Check your state laws for blade length, fixed-blade knives allowed, auto knives allowed, concealed carry, etc.

Blackhawk has good advice. If you can legally carry a knife, do so, but watch what you do with it.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old October 12, 2002, 08:36 AM   #15
Ben Shepherd

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like the knife I have was an excellent bargain from the info in the blade forum article.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old October 13, 2002, 10:06 PM   #16
hso

Any knife you carry for defensive purposes should do as long as you don't, I repeat do not, use it for your daily utility knife.

To work the knife must be sharp. To be sharp it must not have been used for anything since it was last sharpened. It must also be on you. You must know how to use it, at least minimally. The list goes on and on.

bladeforums.com has extensive discussions of what makes a good defensive knife and how to use it. Spend some time over there and remember that any reasonably well made folder/fixed blade will work as long as it's sharp, readily deployed, and on you.

Mike
Old October 14, 2002, 04:25 PM   #17
Gunter

I have found it very practical to carry a fixed blade hilt down SOB. It is lightning fast to deploy and accessible to either hand. And as its intended use is for close range confrontation, coming out in a reverse grip is not really a disadvantage. The BG wont laugh if you "miss" your punch.

Carry permits are quite hard to get here in Austria, so knife and OC are the only options.