The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 25, 2013, 04:09 PM   #1
fc286

Browning Cynergy

Anyone out there familiar with this O/U would like some input on a problem Im having with it, upon firing then ejecting shells and reloading it sometimes fails to fire. Called Browning and the fellow was curt and rude he said make sure you fully open it and then proceeded to hang up on me, I was somewhat perturbed after being on hold for 20 minutes waiting to talk to a tech about this. Was considering sending the piece to them but now think otherwise due to this encounter with their representative. Browning makes fine weapons but they have poor choice in employees. Any input on this problem would be most appreciated.
Old January 25, 2013, 04:44 PM   #2
Virginian

Call Browning again. The guy you talked to may have been a jerk, or maybe he just got off the phone with one himself. They can fix it, RIGHT, and they may do it for free. You don't quit driving because of all the jerks on the highway. I have dealt with Browning many times when I was a dealer. Then tend to start with the pretext you do not know what you are doing, but if you are polite and persistent, you will usually get good results. And the odds are a different person will answer the phone too.
Old January 25, 2013, 05:04 PM   #3
BigD_in_FL

One thing I have learned in dealing with Browning CS is.....don't whenever possible. Any DECENT gunsmith will be able to fix a Browning O/U. Are you fully opening the gun so the cocking rods work? Sounds silly, but I know folks who don't.

Is it only the bottom barrel failing to fire? can you take that round and fire it in the top barrel? If so, what ammo are you using? Some are notorious for eating away at firing pins - Cheddite comes to mind. I had an issue like that before - the primers were seated just a smidge too deep so the firing pin would not always make a solid hit. Sometimes, the same problem can be as simple as some gunk in the firing pin hole
Old January 28, 2013, 12:50 PM   #4
BigJimP

Since you said "sometimes" ....its probably one of 3 things...

a. an ammo issue / if the shell fires the 2nd time ...
b. you're not opening the gun fully, so the firing pins are not resetting properly....( you can usually hear the firing pins cock and reset ) when you open the gun...
c. you're not closing the gun firmly ...so its not locking up...

Change ammo see if the issue goes away.
Have an experienced shooter ---take a look at it ...opening and closing it ..
--------------
If the issue persists ....find a local gunsmith to take a look at it / Don't send it back to Browning unless you're confident its a gun issue.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:06 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

Unless it an absolute warranty issue, get it done locally by a reputable smith. Even under warranty, Browning farms a lot of that stuff out to others to do for them.

IF you must send it in, look up Art's in Missouri -
http://artsgunshop.com/

They used to work for Browning and know the guns better than anyone
Old January 28, 2013, 08:04 PM   #6
BigJimP

I just don't think its a warranty / gun issue ....

but you can't diagnose this stuff over the internet either..../ we're only making educated guesses....you need to have someone help you in person.

Tags
freedom is not free